Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 08-26-2021, 08:10 PM   #1
blubugger

Micro-Minnie 2106ds sink trap fails

Recently at an RV spot in the cool pines of New Mexico I was attempting to drain black and grey water tanks while my better half was relaxing in the cool mountain air on the other side of the TT. And since I needed more grey water in the tank, I drained the kitchen sinks and left a faucet on low to fill the tank more so. To which she came running around the trailer yelling (wives dont yell....they simply point out! "There is water coming out of every point on the passenger side of the trailer!"
So, upon inspection opening the cabinet under the kitchen sink, the drain trap fitting had come loose and fell down, letting grey water pour into the area under the pump cover, onto the wheel well metal cover, then out to the ground.
I could see that the trap had dropped from the sink drain and the 2" drain pipe running along that side towards the lavatory was very springy and unsupported along its length. Reinserting the trap and tightening the plastic nut held for a while but then several trips later the pipe dropped down again, this time I caught it, retightened but also added a stiff foam spacer under the length of the pipe. Thus hoping that this will prevent future leaks.
I can see where, if the plumbing is full of water, and driving over rough or bumpy roads...this would happen again. So as the saying goes "the only thing that works on an RV.....is the owner!" Nuff said!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	3B8652E6-193E-4FD7-8AB8-CC103D1BEE9B.jpeg
Views:	57
Size:	445.3 KB
ID:	180673   Click image for larger version

Name:	F6732F9B-3A16-48A8-A32D-CAA354E4F114.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	345.0 KB
ID:	180674  

Click image for larger version

Name:	2EDF7B61-03C7-4016-B476-DA675F65DBB6.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	303.2 KB
ID:	180675   Click image for larger version

Name:	757FA445-6D1B-4042-8B42-15013A04E37D.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	409.5 KB
ID:	180676  

Blubugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2021, 07:39 AM   #2
Winnebago Camper

This is a very good idea and worth implementing as a preventative measure. In addition to camping at RV parks, I take my TT boondocking for hunting, ham radio activations, etc, and the washboard gravel roads really do a shake rattle and roll to the trailer. I've had window shades fall down, shower heads, etc. I can see something like this happening especially when the most inconvenient!
Old 08-28-2021, 10:57 AM   #3
blubugger

Also taking a look at the drain trap I also wrapped some tie-wraps around the trap and the upper drain pipe that is a fixed today the sink. Just as a double check to ensure no future problems.
When water leaks out of anywhere under the sink, there is a lot of plywood construction in the trailer sub-floor ythat could be damaged. So it is better to secure all plumbing as best as possible.
Old 09-12-2021, 06:55 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

This happened to my 2108DS...twice. Tightened, checked all was secure, drove on mildly bumpy road, and loose again. Thank you for the preventative suggestion.
Old 09-12-2021, 08:21 PM   #5
Winnie-Wise

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amazonica View Post
This happened to my 2108DS...twice. Tightened, checked all was secure, drove on mildly bumpy road, and loose again. Thank you for the preventative suggestion.
You know...with this head's up...I think I am going to change my set-up, M.O. From now on...after setting up the T.T, (1706FB), and after hooking up the city water, OR...with an fully loaded on-board Potable Water Tank filling...I think the VERY FIRST THING I am going to do...is open up all the cabinets below all sinks, both the bathroom, and the galley, and hand touch, all the turn plumbing connections, BEFORE I run any water...but then...will run some water in BOTH sinks (I have two), as well as the bathroom sink...and watch for any water running or dripping down from the sink bowls.

Now, each and every hook up, or initial use of the water systems. Thanks for posting to the O.P.! Modus Operandi has now been changed!
Sun_Seeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2022, 12:17 PM   #6
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blubugger View Post
Recently at an RV spot in the cool pines of New Mexico I was attempting to drain black and grey water tanks while my better half was relaxing in the cool mountain air on the other side of the TT. And since I needed more grey water in the tank, I drained the kitchen sinks and left a faucet on low to fill the tank more so. To which she came running around the trailer yelling (wives dont yell....they simply point out! "There is water coming out of every point on the passenger side of the trailer!"
So, upon inspection opening the cabinet under the kitchen sink, the drain trap fitting had come loose and fell down, letting grey water pour into the area under the pump cover, onto the wheel well metal cover, then out to the ground.
I could see that the trap had dropped from the sink drain and the 2" drain pipe running along that side towards the lavatory was very springy and unsupported along its length. Reinserting the trap and tightening the plastic nut held for a while but then several trips later the pipe dropped down again, this time I caught it, retightened but also added a stiff foam spacer under the length of the pipe. Thus hoping that this will prevent future leaks.
I can see where, if the plumbing is full of water, and driving over rough or bumpy roads...this would happen again. So as the saying goes "the only thing that works on an RV.....is the owner!" Nuff said!
Nice Tip, towing our new to us 2017 Micro Minnie 2106FBS home to Canada from USA (Camping along the way) same thing happened. We saw water on the ground under the passenger side, thought it was the Fresh water tank drain leaking. My wife opened the sink cabinet door and everything on the base of the cabinet was wet.
Bcborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2022, 05:53 PM   #7
blubugger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bcborn View Post
Nice Tip, towing our new to us 2017 Micro Minnie 2106FBS home to Canada from USA (Camping along the way) same thing happened. We saw water on the ground under the passenger side, thought it was the Fresh water tank drain leaking. My wife opened the sink cabinet door and everything on the base of the cabinet was wet.
I think the size of drain was really the standard 1.25" plumbing plumbing (not my reported 2" size). So, placing a suitable stiff foam under that drain and additional securing straps etc. to prevent the joints from coming apart under long trips etc.
we just have to remember that home plumbing lines are set and fixed, whereas trailers and RV plumbing are subjected to vibration and bumps!