Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 07-08-2021, 01:09 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Micro Minnie 1706fb water leak

Hi everyone, I was just flushing my water tank for the first time after I purchased the trailer earlier this year and noticed a water leak underneath the carriage near the drain valve, not from the valve itself, but above, where some old insulation foam is located. I am not sure how to get access to the water tank and what might be leaking there. Did anyone experience this issue? Thanks.
Duercos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2021, 03:13 PM   #2
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duercos View Post
Hi everyone, I was just flushing my water tank for the first time after I purchased the trailer earlier this year and noticed a water leak underneath the carriage near the drain valve, not from the valve itself, but above, where some old insulation foam is located. I am not sure how to get access to the water tank and what might be leaking there. Did anyone experience this issue? Thanks.
I also own a 1706FB, and what I am thinking, that you mention this was a used trailer..is that perhaps during one prior Winter, the previous owner still had left some water in the system, and did not adequately or properly make sure that enough RV anti-freeze would dilute any pools, or did not force out the untreated water. I think you might have a cracked water pipe, where the water froze, and created a fissure in the pipe. You will need to remove the bottom black panel and start seeing how you can expose your pipes up to where they go through the actual floor. Then run water, and it will be apparent where the water is coming from, and if in fact the pipe has been bad-Winterize compromised. Just a suggestion. For the future, I do suggest that you buy a small home compressor, and that you use air pressure to force out all the water out of your lines, BEFORE you then apply RV anti-freeze by use of your water pump bypass for that purpose. I always blow out my lines...and then use the water pump bypass for the RV antifreeze.
Sun_Seeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2021, 09:38 AM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun_Seeker View Post
I also own a 1706FB, and what I am thinking, that you mention this was a used trailer..is that perhaps during one prior Winter, the previous owner still had left some water in the system, and did not adequately or properly make sure that enough RV anti-freeze would dilute any pools, or did not force out the untreated water. I think you might have a cracked water pipe, where the water froze, and created a fissure in the pipe. You will need to remove the bottom black panel and start seeing how you can expose your pipes up to where they go through the actual floor. Then run water, and it will be apparent where the water is coming from, and if in fact the pipe has been bad-Winterize compromised. Just a suggestion. For the future, I do suggest that you buy a small home compressor, and that you use air pressure to force out all the water out of your lines, BEFORE you then apply RV anti-freeze by use of your water pump bypass for that purpose. I always blow out my lines...and then use the water pump bypass for the RV antifreeze.
I think this might be the case. I have already found and replaced one pvc pipe coming out of the water heater after I bought it. It was busted open. What black panel are you referring to? Trying to get access to the tank's piping. Thanks
Old 07-09-2021, 08:44 PM   #4
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duercos View Post
I think this might be the case. I have already found and replaced one pvc pipe coming out of the water heater after I bought it. It was busted open. What black panel are you referring to? Trying to get access to the tank's piping. Thanks
Since you said it was coming from your water (potable) tank, that you'd have to remove the black plastic impregnated board membrane that seals in the entire tanks and piping laying underneath the trailer chassis. It is pretty much a staple affair. Then when you access the square white plastic water tank, and then add water, you can see where it might be leaking from mere gravity fill, or when you turn on your water pump...if the leak is actually the PVC pipe leading from the tank to the plumbing system. I do think this was the result of a bad or careless prior winterization.
Sun_Seeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2021, 06:33 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun_Seeker View Post
Since you said it was coming from your water (potable) tank, that you'd have to remove the black plastic impregnated board membrane that seals in the entire tanks and piping laying underneath the trailer chassis. It is pretty much a staple affair. Then when you access the square white plastic water tank, and then add water, you can see where it might be leaking from mere gravity fill, or when you turn on your water pump...if the leak is actually the PVC pipe leading from the tank to the plumbing system. I do think this was the result of a bad or careless prior winterization.
Do you have the same plastic cover? I don't see any staples holding it though. What is the the best way of removing it with the further reinstall in your opinion?
Btw, it only leaks when the water pump turned on, so it's probably the pump hose connection problem.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	166DAC01-85F7-40D9-B2C7-1ACE86F9A909.jpeg
Views:	88
Size:	332.0 KB
ID:	180147  
Old 07-12-2021, 07:39 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

I cut a small V-shaped flap in the coroplast to push my freshwater tank back into the proper position. If you have one, I’d slip an endoscope over the frame rail (under the black fabric of the floor) and take a look at the location of the plumbing. You might even be able to see the leak. If not, you can at least pick a good place to cut a small access flap in the coroplast. You can get an endoscope that pairs with your phone on Amazon for $20 or so. It’s super useful. I would not remove the coroplast unless you have to. It is resting inside the frame and sealed there with expanding foam. I think it’d be real hard to get sealed up again. Better to cut an access flap and then tape it closed.

If yours is like mine, you’ll find the pump suction line is attached to the tank only a few inches to the curb side from your drain valve. It seems odd that it only leaks when the pump runs. I’d definitely recommend observing with an endoscope before cutting.
Old 07-19-2021, 07:41 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

FYI, I recent discovered a water leak on my new 1800BH. It was coming from the pipe connections to the hot water heater. The fittings are tool-less so I just turned them with my hand. They were surprisingly loose. Basically all of them. Rather disappointing frankly.

If those were leaking, it could end up dripping down into the area you are talking about. Best check that.

While I was in there I tightened any other hand-tighten fittings I could find. Most connections are PEX clamps, but some are these hand-tightened fittings.
R_Lefebvre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2021, 04:56 PM   #8
Naz
Winnebago Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by R_Lefebvre View Post
FYI, I recent discovered a water leak on my new 1800BH. It was coming from the pipe connections to the hot water heater. The fittings are tool-less so I just turned them with my hand. They were surprisingly loose. Basically all of them. Rather disappointing frankly.

If those were leaking, it could end up dripping down into the area you are talking about. Best check that.

While I was in there I tightened any other hand-tighten fittings I could find. Most connections are PEX clamps, but some are these hand-tightened fittings.
Well, I just detected a water leak coming from the water heater area in my 6-month old 1808FBS. I'm in the process of scheduling a service appointment, but will surely take a closer look at those fittings first thing tomorrow morning. I also remember seeng a blue hose (not pex) with a tight kink that connects towards the middle of the water heater. I wonder if they ever tested the heater at all. Thanks for the info R_Lefebvre
Naz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
leak, water, water leak