Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 12-26-2021, 04:42 PM   #21
Winnebago Master

I think you're probably confusing things a bit.

You need to look at the GVWR of the trailer and the dry weight of the trailer. The difference between these is the inherent cargo capacity of the trailer. Then think about how much stuff you plan to put in the trailer (including water, propane, batteries) and see if you have enough cargo capacity in the trailer for your needs. If yes, then great. For now, just assume you'll fill it to GVWR (conservative answer).

After moving stuff around, you'll likely be able to get the trailer tongue load around 12% of the total trailer weight. This tongue load is what the truck carries. For now, just assume a tongue load of 12% of GVWR. This 12% is what the hitch and receiver and truck must support.

You can then think of your truck separately. It carries the tongue load + people + cargo + hitch + any modifications you've added (bed-liner, shell, running-boards etc). With all that, are you still below the truck's GVWR? Probably. Are you still under your truck's rear axle GAWR? Probably. Note that running without a WDH causes the truck's rear axle to support more than the tongue weight of the trailer.

BTW, the weight the rear axle feels (due to the trailer tongue) without a WDH is:

R = ((WB+HX)/WB) * Trailer_tongue_load

where:
R = rear axle load due to trailer tongue load
WB = truck's wheelbase
HX = horizontal distance from rear axle centerline to center of hitch ball.
backtrack15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2021, 07:49 PM   #22
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sentry View Post
When you say all your stuff, you mean? Everything you went camping with?

@Jokaj
Yes, that is correct. All your bedding clothes, kitchen, tools, chairs, bbq grill, table, sewer, level blocks, etc. I was able to reduce my tongue weight by moving the heavy items to the back. Yours looks more balanced than mine though. Good looking trailer!
Old 12-28-2021, 06:34 PM   #23
New to this....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jokaj View Post
Yes, that is correct. All your bedding clothes, kitchen, tools, chairs, bbq grill, table, sewer, level blocks, etc. I was able to reduce my tongue weight by moving the heavy items to the back. Yours looks more balanced than mine though. Good looking trailer!
Of course the younger weight is going to go if you things to the inside/ on the trailer. That’s why it needs to be paid attention to
You had me thinking it was going to be heavier to begin with and would put me above my rated hitch weight.
Sentry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2021, 05:40 PM   #24
Winnebago Camper

Reservations

The hardest thing to get these days are reservations! With all of the new RVers it’s next to impossible to find campsites at any of the popular destinations. I would suggest starting early!
mitchpadl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2021, 09:28 PM   #25
New to this....

That’s the plan. Had to get trailer first. Now we can start working on where and shoot for when.
2012 Chevy Silverado 2500HD Z71 4X4 w/ 4:10 Gear Ratio 2.5" Receiver. Z82 Package.
2022 Winnebago 2301BHS, w/ Victron Solar System
Old 12-30-2021, 02:43 PM   #26
New to this....

Trailer is signed for. Jan 7 we take delivery, and stay the night at lazy days.
2012 Chevy Silverado 2500HD Z71 4X4 w/ 4:10 Gear Ratio 2.5" Receiver. Z82 Package.
2022 Winnebago 2301BHS, w/ Victron Solar System
Old 01-15-2022, 09:26 AM   #27
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativepart View Post
Make them go through EVERY system and feature. Make them prove everything is working and don't sign any papers if stuff isn't working. Make them fix it first. After you've closed dealers will not go out of their way to fix things. Plan on a 2 to 3 hour PDI from the dealership. Test EVERYTHING. Let nothing slide for later.

Also, carefully review and add up all the items on your sales document and financing papers. Unfortunately, far too many dealers will try to slip in extra's or even $10,000 extra dollars here and there in the contract assuming you'll not read it.

Do get everything in writing. Especially if they "owe" you any item or any repairs. Before you close they will be your best friend. After you leave with your RV you're just another sucker that bought an RV from them sometime ago. Don't expect them to follow through on any statement made before you take possession unless it's in writing.

Most of all... use the travel trailer a lot. The more you use it the more you'll love it.

PS. Many experienced RVers will camp as nearby as possible for 2 or 3 days after taking possession to double check that everything works. That way you can get right back to the dealership and demand instant repairs. If you don't you might have to wait a month or more for them to even look at your RV's problems. New RVs are not like new cars - lots of things are delivered with problems or not working at all.
creativepart - We pick up our new 1708FB on Friday, at least if all goes well we will. This is a great post. You clearly stated everything that has been weighing on my mind.

We were looking at MH before deciding on the TT. It was mind-bending to us that dealers showed us units that could not be used at the time of purchase. Hadn't been cleaned.

We purchased at a show and spent some time with a Winnebago rep. Even he said you should never plan a big trip right out the gate. Plan a few small weekend trips and get the kinks worked out. It makes sense but isn't something a newbie would think of and isn't what you want to hear when you are dropping a chunk of change.

Thanks for a great post.
Vicki

We are prepared for the worst - walking away - but hoping for the best.
victw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2022, 09:31 AM   #28
Winnebago Owner

You’ll do fine Victw
If you’re the least bit handy with tools, you’ll be able to fix 80% of the stuff that goes wrong yourself. Thereby saving yourself the hassle and retime of taking it in for service. Time better spent enjoying your rv. Ask on the Micro Mini thread about how to fix stuff, of course, a lot of what you’re likely to run into has already been posted.
Old 01-16-2022, 03:00 PM   #29
Winnebago Owner

I was fortunate enough to have a great PDI, the only thing that didn’t work is the wireless charger and I didn’t catch that until later.

After the PDI the real fun started. Learning in more detail how everything works and where it is and how to operate it, plumbing water and waste, gas system and appliances, electric and batteries breakers and fuses, solar, winterizing and dewinterizing, towing, set up and take down, storage, maintenance, repairs.

My tip for newbies like me would be to document how everything works and make checklists. Maybe I’ve been a little obsessive, but I’ve made lists and taken photos of how nearly everything works, checklist on how to do things and lists what I need to take for a particular trip. It makes it more efficient and more fun to have a sort of operations manual handy. Good for safety reasons as well.

Haha or maybe I’m just old and can’t remember things.
FlyingV is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
winnebago