Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 12-18-2021, 01:35 PM   #1
New to this....

Do you tow with full 5 gallon gas cans?

I figure, there has to be someone out there using a gas generator to run the trailer.
So, do you tow with, full gas cans or do you fill up just prior to stopping?

I know gas with ethanol in it is unstable and likes to boil over in the can even when I only put 4.5 gal in them sometimes.

I purchased a bunch of normal non ethanol gas for storing at the house once, and it did not seem to react the same way...
Sentry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2021, 03:21 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

When dealing with portable generators , we were not allowed to haul gasoline in cans and converted to propane to solve the problem. Gas is really hard stuff to control and safety inspections were a big thing.
It's a funny thing as propane is considered the safer way to go when trucks are inspected but for places like tunnels they allow gasoline but turn down propane in some of the bigger longer tunnels. I assume they are not up to prohibiting gasoline engines in tunnels even if they are a hazard???
Morich is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2021, 08:36 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morich View Post
When dealing with portable generators , we were not allowed to haul gasoline in cans and converted to propane to solve the problem. Gas is really hard stuff to control and safety inspections were a big thing.
It's a funny thing as propane is considered the safer way to go when trucks are inspected but for places like tunnels they allow gasoline but turn down propane in some of the bigger longer tunnels. I assume they are not up to prohibiting gasoline engines in tunnels even if they are a hazard???
Rich,
No doubt propane is much safer. When contained in a suitable tank with valves closed, there are no restrictions on transporting propane that I know of. Because of this, we switched to propane generator, and just carry an extra 20lb bottle mostly for powering the generator. Also eliminates the possibility that old gasoline will foul the carburetor
Old 12-19-2021, 09:30 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marine359 View Post
Rich,
No doubt propane is much safer. When contained in a suitable tank with valves closed, there are no restrictions on transporting propane that I know of. Because of this, we switched to propane generator, and just carry an extra 20lb bottle mostly for powering the generator. Also eliminates the possibility that old gasoline will foul the carburetor
Okay with just closing the valves? That is one that I was told and most likely wrong that the tank was totally prohibited but I'm not an East coast runner and never ran into the question to find out what was involved!

Really easy to get the bad info! I should be old enough to know not to trust the goofy stuff folks are putting out!
Old 12-19-2021, 10:01 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Never had an issue with any bridges or tunnels. Although, I think Baltimore Harbor tunnel prohibits all propane, but haven’t tried to use it. Been through some tunnels where you get inspected and tank valves tagged, but don’t remember which ones.
Old 12-19-2021, 10:38 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

I was right about Baltimore, but here is a list of all tunnels prohibiting propane tanks:
https://www.rvtripwizard.com/rv-info...nks-in-tunnels
Old 12-19-2021, 12:08 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

Thanks for that reference.

We live in NW Connecticut and when we head south, the GW Bridge through Manhattan is often the shortest route (but rarely the quickest) and so is the Baltimore tunnel, both of which are restricted. We avoid both by crossing the Hudson on the Tappen Zee and take I81 south which also avoids the DC traffic.

David
Old 12-19-2021, 12:10 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidM View Post
Thanks for that reference.

We live in NW Connecticut and when we head south, the GW Bridge through Manhattan is often the shortest route (but rarely the quickest) and so is the Baltimore tunnel, both of which are restricted. We avoid both by crossing the Hudson on the Tappen Zee and take I81 south which also avoids the DC traffic.

David
Same route we take going north
Old 12-19-2021, 01:40 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

I would think it is the same for propane and gas cans. They have to be "outside." Not "interior." I put both in quotes because there are different scenarios subject to intepretation. But it's mostly clear in practice. Most rv's have propane tanks in separate outside compartments. My toy hauler 5th wheel has gas tank on outside for it's generator and filling up atvs, motorcycles, etc.

Back to your topic, whether filling to the brim gas cans or not. An ounce of prevention is worth a.... Don't fill em completely, but almost.
Old 12-20-2021, 07:21 AM   #10
Site Team

We traveled with gas in the gensets (2 of them) and an empty gas can. When we needed gas at our destination we just got enough to fill the generators back up. But we were not camping too far away from services. That way we didn’t travel with extra gas.
Old 12-21-2021, 08:27 PM   #11
Winnebago Camper

Always filled the generator prior to leaving and either carried an empty gas can or just drove by the gas pump and filled the generator if needed.
Truckman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2022, 05:54 AM   #12
Winnebago Owner

I fill the can just before arriving to the CG. After I’m done camping I put the remaining gas in the truck to empty the can for transport. Repeat as needed.
pj48009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2022, 08:57 AM   #13
Winnebago Master

If your tow vehicle is kept reasonably full, how about siphoning some gas from your TV's fuel tank into a gas can using a commercially available siphon pump (not the old fashioned hose and mouth method)? The type that uses a hand pumped bulb (like on an outboard motor tank) is relatively inexpensive. Anything you don't use can be put back into your TV.

https://www.amazon.com/gas-siphon-pu...as+siphon+pump

My Honda generator is too old but I always liked the idea of a dual fuel generator.
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2022, 09:16 AM   #14
Winnebago Owner

Switching to propane generator means you never have to carry gasoline again.
I do carry an empty gas can though, just in case my tv runs out of gas.
Old 01-17-2022, 09:35 AM   #15
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobC View Post
If your tow vehicle is kept reasonably full, how about siphoning some gas from your TV's fuel tank into a gas can using a commercially available siphon pump (not the old fashioned hose and mouth method)? The type that uses a hand pumped bulb (like on an outboard motor tank) is relatively inexpensive. Anything you don't use can be put back into your TV.

https://www.amazon.com/gas-siphon-pu...as+siphon+pump

My Honda generator is too old but I always liked the idea of a dual fuel generator.
Kind of sounds like you've not got involved with the anti-siphon gas tanks that came along when fuel got expensive!

Check this vid for a different view:

Old 01-17-2022, 01:53 PM   #16
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morich View Post
Kind of sounds like you've not got involved with the anti-siphon gas tanks that came along when fuel got expensive!

Check this vid for a different view:

It’s been awhile. It never crossed my mind.
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2022, 12:26 PM   #17
New to this....

I suppose filling up a can or two just prior to arriving makes most sense, then using excess in vehicle tank.
I still need to run the trailer on power at the house to see how much gas I'll need... Everything as pretty much come to a halt, due to a family member passing.

Somehow we will make the trip, as I already have the time booked, well just probably be winging a lot of things.
2012 Chevy Silverado 2500HD Z71 4X4 w/ 4:10 Gear Ratio 2.5" Receiver. Z82 Package.
2022 Winnebago 2301BHS, w/ Victron Solar System
Sentry is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gas, tow