Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
 


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 12-18-2021, 01:35 PM   #1
New to this....
 
Join Date: Dec 2021
Posts: 131
Do you tow with full 5 gallon gas cans?

I figure, there has to be someone out there using a gas generator to run the trailer.
So, do you tow with, full gas cans or do you fill up just prior to stopping?


I know gas with ethanol in it is unstable and likes to boil over in the can even when I only put 4.5 gal in them sometimes.

I purchased a bunch of normal non ethanol gas for storing at the house once, and it did not seem to react the same way...
Sentry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2021, 03:21 PM   #2
Winnebago Master
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: Pflugerville/Austin, Tx
Posts: 4,350
When dealing with portable generators , we were not allowed to haul gasoline in cans and converted to propane to solve the problem. Gas is really hard stuff to control and safety inspections were a big thing.
It's a funny thing as propane is considered the safer way to go when trucks are inspected but for places like tunnels they allow gasoline but turn down propane in some of the bigger longer tunnels. I assume they are not up to prohibiting gasoline engines in tunnels even if they are a hazard???
__________________
Richard
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2021, 08:36 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner
 
Marine359's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2020
Location: Asheville, NC
Posts: 835
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morich View Post
When dealing with portable generators , we were not allowed to haul gasoline in cans and converted to propane to solve the problem. Gas is really hard stuff to control and safety inspections were a big thing.
It's a funny thing as propane is considered the safer way to go when trucks are inspected but for places like tunnels they allow gasoline but turn down propane in some of the bigger longer tunnels. I assume they are not up to prohibiting gasoline engines in tunnels even if they are a hazard???
Rich,
No doubt propane is much safer. When contained in a suitable tank with valves closed, there are no restrictions on transporting propane that I know of. Because of this, we switched to propane generator, and just carry an extra 20lb bottle mostly for powering the generator. Also eliminates the possibility that old gasoline will foul the carburetor
__________________
Jim. 2021b Micro Minnie 2108DS, 110w foldable solar
2021 GMC Canyon Denali 3.6L Gas 4x4, Husky C-Line
170AH LiFePo4, Xantrex XC2000, Champion 2500w df
Marine359 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2021, 09:30 AM   #4
Winnebago Master
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: Pflugerville/Austin, Tx
Posts: 4,350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marine359 View Post
Rich,
No doubt propane is much safer. When contained in a suitable tank with valves closed, there are no restrictions on transporting propane that I know of. Because of this, we switched to propane generator, and just carry an extra 20lb bottle mostly for powering the generator. Also eliminates the possibility that old gasoline will foul the carburetor
Okay with just closing the valves? That is one that I was told and most likely wrong that the tank was totally prohibited but I'm not an East coast runner and never ran into the question to find out what was involved!

Really easy to get the bad info! I should be old enough to know not to trust the goofy stuff folks are putting out!
__________________
Richard
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2021, 10:01 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner
 
Marine359's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2020
Location: Asheville, NC
Posts: 835
Never had an issue with any bridges or tunnels. Although, I think Baltimore Harbor tunnel prohibits all propane, but haven’t tried to use it. Been through some tunnels where you get inspected and tank valves tagged, but don’t remember which ones.
__________________
Jim. 2021b Micro Minnie 2108DS, 110w foldable solar
2021 GMC Canyon Denali 3.6L Gas 4x4, Husky C-Line
170AH LiFePo4, Xantrex XC2000, Champion 2500w df
Marine359 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2021, 10:38 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner
 
Marine359's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2020
Location: Asheville, NC
Posts: 835
I was right about Baltimore, but here is a list of all tunnels prohibiting propane tanks:
https://www.rvtripwizard.com/rv-info...nks-in-tunnels
__________________
Jim. 2021b Micro Minnie 2108DS, 110w foldable solar
2021 GMC Canyon Denali 3.6L Gas 4x4, Husky C-Line
170AH LiFePo4, Xantrex XC2000, Champion 2500w df
Marine359 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2021, 12:08 PM   #7
Winnebago Master
 
Join Date: Feb 2020
Posts: 880
Thanks for that reference.

We live in NW Connecticut and when we head south, the GW Bridge through Manhattan is often the shortest route (but rarely the quickest) and so is the Baltimore tunnel, both of which are restricted. We avoid both by crossing the Hudson on the Tappen Zee and take I81 south which also avoids the DC traffic.

David
__________________
2021 Thor Axis 24.1
DavidM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2021, 12:10 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner
 
Marine359's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2020
Location: Asheville, NC
Posts: 835
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidM View Post
Thanks for that reference.

We live in NW Connecticut and when we head south, the GW Bridge through Manhattan is often the shortest route (but rarely the quickest) and so is the Baltimore tunnel, both of which are restricted. We avoid both by crossing the Hudson on the Tappen Zee and take I81 south which also avoids the DC traffic.

David
Same route we take going north
__________________
Jim. 2021b Micro Minnie 2108DS, 110w foldable solar
2021 GMC Canyon Denali 3.6L Gas 4x4, Husky C-Line
170AH LiFePo4, Xantrex XC2000, Champion 2500w df
Marine359 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2021, 01:40 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper
 
Join Date: Sep 2021
Location: Eastern NC
Posts: 21
I would think it is the same for propane and gas cans. They have to be "outside." Not "interior." I put both in quotes because there are different scenarios subject to intepretation. But it's mostly clear in practice. Most rv's have propane tanks in separate outside compartments. My toy hauler 5th wheel has gas tank on outside for it's generator and filling up atvs, motorcycles, etc.

Back to your topic, whether filling to the brim gas cans or not. An ounce of prevention is worth a.... Don't fill em completely, but almost.
__________________
06 View 23H
Honda Fit on tow dolly
stew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2021, 07:21 AM   #10
Site Team
 
creativepart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Spring Branch, TX
Posts: 5,514
We traveled with gas in the gensets (2 of them) and an empty gas can. When we needed gas at our destination we just got enough to fill the generators back up. But we were not camping too far away from services. That way we didn’t travel with extra gas.
__________________
2017 Winnebago Adventurer 37F
2016 Lincoln MKX Toad
creativepart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2021, 08:27 PM   #11
Winnebago Camper
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 26
Always filled the generator prior to leaving and either carried an empty gas can or just drove by the gas pump and filled the generator if needed.
Truckman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2022, 05:54 AM   #12
Winnebago Owner
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Posts: 85
I fill the can just before arriving to the CG. After Iím done camping I put the remaining gas in the truck to empty the can for transport. Repeat as needed.
pj48009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2022, 08:57 AM   #13
Winnebago Master
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Elk Grove, CA
Posts: 2,972
If your tow vehicle is kept reasonably full, how about siphoning some gas from your TV's fuel tank into a gas can using a commercially available siphon pump (not the old fashioned hose and mouth method)? The type that uses a hand pumped bulb (like on an outboard motor tank) is relatively inexpensive. Anything you don't use can be put back into your TV.

https://www.amazon.com/gas-siphon-pu...as+siphon+pump

My Honda generator is too old but I always liked the idea of a dual fuel generator.
__________________
Bob C
2002 Itasca Suncruiser 35U
Workhorse Chassis
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2022, 09:16 AM   #14
Winnebago Owner
 
Marine359's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2020
Location: Asheville, NC
Posts: 835
Switching to propane generator means you never have to carry gasoline again.
I do carry an empty gas can though, just in case my tv runs out of gas.
__________________
Jim. 2021b Micro Minnie 2108DS, 110w foldable solar
2021 GMC Canyon Denali 3.6L Gas 4x4, Husky C-Line
170AH LiFePo4, Xantrex XC2000, Champion 2500w df
Marine359 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2022, 09:35 AM   #15
Winnebago Master
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: Pflugerville/Austin, Tx
Posts: 4,350
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobC View Post
If your tow vehicle is kept reasonably full, how about siphoning some gas from your TV's fuel tank into a gas can using a commercially available siphon pump (not the old fashioned hose and mouth method)? The type that uses a hand pumped bulb (like on an outboard motor tank) is relatively inexpensive. Anything you don't use can be put back into your TV.

https://www.amazon.com/gas-siphon-pu...as+siphon+pump

My Honda generator is too old but I always liked the idea of a dual fuel generator.
Kind of sounds like you've not got involved with the anti-siphon gas tanks that came along when fuel got expensive!

Check this vid for a different view:

__________________
Richard
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2022, 01:53 PM   #16
Winnebago Master
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Elk Grove, CA
Posts: 2,972
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morich View Post
Kind of sounds like you've not got involved with the anti-siphon gas tanks that came along when fuel got expensive!

Check this vid for a different view:

Itís been awhile. It never crossed my mind.
__________________
Bob C
2002 Itasca Suncruiser 35U
Workhorse Chassis
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2022, 12:26 PM   #17
New to this....
 
Join Date: Dec 2021
Posts: 131
I suppose filling up a can or two just prior to arriving makes most sense, then using excess in vehicle tank.
I still need to run the trailer on power at the house to see how much gas I'll need... Everything as pretty much come to a halt, due to a family member passing.



Somehow we will make the trip, as I already have the time booked, well just probably be winging a lot of things.
__________________
2012 Chevy Silverado 2500HD Z71 4X4 w/ 4:10 Gear Ratio 2.5" Receiver. Z82 Package.
2022 Winnebago 2301BHS, w/ Victron Solar System
Sentry is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
gas, tow


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New Barker 34 Gallon Tote Scorn Parking, Parts & Accessories For Sale & Wanted 0 05-26-2019 01:08 PM
Atwood 6 Gallon Water Heater Problem Ladypilot10 Plumbing | Systems and Fixtures 13 03-20-2017 07:25 AM
Atwood 10 Gallon Water Heater Replacement 3E to 4E Wiring Question vetman90 Plumbing | Systems and Fixtures 13 06-10-2016 04:25 AM
39 Gallon Propane Tank - How low have you let yours go? LK23 General Maintenance and Repair 16 11-25-2009 10:21 AM
Mile per gallon.....400 Cummins rebelsbeach Winnebago General Discussions 14 01-25-2006 02:07 AM

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Winnebago Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:19 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
×