Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 10-07-2020, 06:28 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

City Water Question

Hi all,

I have a 2020 2108DS. Clip from manual on water hookup:
Open the city water supply valve.
5. Open the faucets in the trailer and let the water
run a few minutes to clear the lines.
NOTE: As long as the water system is hooked up to a city water supply, the onboard storage tank and the 12-volt pump are isolated from the system. Do not turn the pump to “ON” until the city water supply is disconnected in order to avoid damage to the pump.

Question:
My trailer doesn't have a "City water supply valve." You simply connect the outside water and don't turn on the water pump and water is supplied to everything. Are there check valves that act as a "City supply valve?" Basically my question is, once connected to city water, the city water will not mix into the main onboard storage tank?

Basically I would like to make sure that water I bring from home is not being mixed with campground/city water from an unknown area.

Thank you
Rumpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2020, 08:14 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

Usually that is the case. The pressurized city water is prevented by a check valve usually as part of the pump from back flowing into the water tank. There is usually a valve which will let that happen to fill the tanks or more rarely a gravity fill port and sometimes both.

David
DavidM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2020, 06:23 AM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidM View Post
Usually that is the case. The pressurized city water is prevented by a check valve usually as part of the pump from back flowing into the water tank. There is usually a valve which will let that happen to fill the tanks or more rarely a gravity fill port and sometimes both.

David
David,

Thank you for reply. I believed there had to be a check valve in there preventing it from going directly into the tank.

Thanks again
Old 10-08-2020, 07:46 AM   #4
Site Team

The pump has a built in check valve on the inlet side of the pump. It’s not too unusual for this check valve to periodically fail and when it does it will fill your fresh water tank to overflowing. Most of the time this is self-correcting but occasionally requires a rebuild of the check valve. You’ll know when this happens as water will be flowing out of the overflow.
Old 10-10-2020, 05:51 AM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativepart View Post
The pump has a built in check valve on the inlet side of the pump. It’s not too unusual for this check valve to periodically fail and when it does it will fill your fresh water tank to overflowing. Most of the time this is self-correcting but occasionally requires a rebuild of the check valve. You’ll know when this happens as water will be flowing out of the overflow.
Very good to know. Thank you
Old 10-10-2020, 07:05 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

I believe city water supply valve in the manual is referring to the campground water spigot.
blifsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2020, 11:09 AM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Hi Rumpl!
I have a 2018 -2108DS . Most manuals are very generic and not very model specific.The info you get on this forum is beneficial. As Blifsey said I also agree that they are saying the city water supply is probably the campground spigot.
Also make sure you use a water pressure valve on your city water hook up as park water systems vary in pressure and you don’t want to damage your supply lines.
Dave V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2020, 01:07 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave V. View Post
Hi Rumpl!
I have a 2018 -2108DS . Most manuals are very generic and not very model specific.The info you get on this forum is beneficial. As Blifsey said I also agree that they are saying the city water supply is probably the campground spigot.
Also make sure you use a water pressure valve on your city water hook up as park water systems vary in pressure and you don’t want to damage your supply lines.
Dave, you and Blifsey make good points and it makes sense. In the manual where this section was written, they had a picture of several valves on a trailer. So, I my 2+2 was immediately there is a valve on the trailer. I get it now though. Thanks for the assist.

Plus this sentence from the manual confirms suspicions there is probably a check valve "Do not turn the pump to ON until the city water supply is disconnected in order to avoid damage to the pump." They don't want the pump fighting the back pressure of a city supply.

Thanks everyone!
Old 10-16-2020, 12:20 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Water tank overflow

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativepart View Post
We have a minnie winnie 2017 and when we hookup the city water hose it fills our RV water tank and then overflows to the ground and soaks all under the parked RV. How do I find the check valve and/or repair it to stop this tank overflow?
Rupp825 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2020, 12:29 PM   #10
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rupp825 View Post
We have a minnie winnie 2017 and when we hookup the city water hose it fills our RV water tank and then overflows to the ground and soaks all under the parked RV. How do I find the check valve and/or repair it to stop this tank overflow?
Go look at your water pump. Note the manufacturer and the model number. A common WBGO pump is the Shurflo 4008. Then simply look online for the check valve rebuild kit. Even easier, you can buy a Head unit that is bolt on simple and has everything all setup. You unbolt the front of the pump and bolt on the new one.

Look on YouTube for Shurflo check valve videos and you'll find a number of how tos on the subject.

It is super easy to rebuild and it may not even need rebuilt.

Make sure you're not using the water pump when on city water supply. And, if you do fill up the fresh tank simply turn off the city water and use the pump until the tank is empty. Many times this alone will fix the issue.

Tags
water