Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 04-08-2024, 10:18 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

2024 Micro Minnie 2108TB and Tundra Tow Vehicle

Hi All, I just finished a 1864 mile round trip to pick up our new 2024 2108TB, my truck is a 2018 Tundra Crewmax limited TRD. The 934 mile tow home in howling wind at 6000-8000 foot altitudes across Wyoming’s I80 went pretty well on a simple ball. It wasn’t unhinged back there, but sway could be better for sure.

Those of you with a similar truck/trailer, what hitch are you using?
I’m leaning towards Eaz-lift TR3 or the Andersen?
Dashunde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2024, 02:00 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

I like the https://www.fastwaytrailer.com/e2-hitch.

... have used the E2 with smaller trailers of different brands with no complaints. The TV has been either a Tundra or F150.
Old 04-09-2024, 07:39 PM   #3
Winnie-Wise

I've used a Blue Ox Sway Pro w/750# bars since 2016, towing initially with and Tacoma and now with a Tundra. No sway issues with either vehicle.
Fred 2106DS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2024, 10:59 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

So far very happy with my Andersen WD hitch.
eatSleepWoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2024, 11:40 AM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by eatSleepWoof View Post
So far very happy with my Andersen WD hitch.
Good to hear along with all the other folks who seem to like it.
My priorities for the added wdh would be:
- Sway and straight tracking
- Eliminate the rhythmic "duh duh duh.." bouncing/jittering over some expansion joints.
- Push the nose of the truck back down a little.

Currently on just a ball it pulls stable and predictable up to 80+ then it'll wiggle just a little, but oddly it wags around worst at 55-60. It also doesn't seem to like rear quartering (ie from 4 & 8 o'clock) tail winds much at all.

I'm leaning towards wdh's with a twist style friction for sway, the collar in the TR3 vs the cone thing in the Anderson. I think the Anderson probably works better for sway and the bounce.. but I have serious reservations about the forward pressure it puts on the latch/pawl.

The dilemma is.. I think the Anderson will work better, but the TR3 is easier on all the equipment but might make priority #2 bounce/jitter worse?
Old 04-10-2024, 12:21 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dashunde View Post
Good to hear along with all the other folks who seem to like it.
My priorities for the added wdh would be:
- Sway and straight tracking
- Eliminate the rhythmic "duh duh duh.." bouncing/jittering over some expansion joints.
- Push the nose of the truck back down a little.

Currently on just a ball it pulls stable and predictable up to 80+ then it'll wiggle just a little, but oddly it wags around worst at 55-60. It also doesn't seem to like rear quartering (ie from 4 & 8 o'clock) tail winds much at all.

I'm leaning towards wdh's with a twist style friction for sway, the collar in the TR3 vs the cone thing in the Anderson. I think the Anderson probably works better for sway and the bounce.. but I have serious reservations about the forward pressure it puts on the latch/pawl.

The dilemma is.. I think the Anderson will work better, but the TR3 is easier on all the equipment but might make priority #2 bounce/jitter worse?
I can't speak to the TR3 as I've no experience with it, but I can share a few details about the Andersen from my (admittedly limited) experience...

I picked up the trailer south of Calgary and towed it home to Vernon in late January of this year. That's a 610km trip over the rocky mountains in the middle of winter.

Heading west from Calgary you go through a long stretch of very flat land, and I experienced insane cross winds here. I was travelling at around 100-110kph, and pick up trucks around me were swerving as if they were drunk behind the wheel... swings of 1metre (to the side) in a split second happened more than once. I pulled over at one point and could barely open my driver's side door. I certainly felt the wind in my LX570, but the trailer was solid as a rock.

The rest of the trip was through mostly winding, mountain highways. Zero issues driving as much as 20-30kph over the speed limit in the twisties, with zero sway, porpoising, or other concerns.

There is zero noise from the hitch, whether you are driving forward or backwards. I've had the trailer on pretty rough dirt forest service roads for about 10 minutes, and similarly had zero noise or concerns. Setup/removal is very easy, and takes only a few short minutes.

I've no complaints about the setup.
eatSleepWoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2024, 07:58 AM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Good to know.
We left mid-Nebraska Saturday 4/6/24 with our new Minnie and a slight tailwind that turned into a 30mph headwind, then into a raging crosswind thunderstorm with minimal visibility and soft hail, then into 40+ mph headwind, then blowing snow white-out around Sidney Nebraska, and finally we pulled into Cheyenne with 65mph crosswind gusts that continued until Sunday midnight. Pretty rough start to RV ownership lol

We stayed put and left Monday morning into fairly stiff headwinds most of the way home to Idaho. It was a easy day by comparison.

Tags
tow