Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class C Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 06-01-2020, 08:02 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Lubrications of black/grey tank valves

Most of you who have a 22m know the lengthy cable to the black/grey tank valves is not the best idea but we have to live with it. I want to have the least resistance at the valve so I wanted to try to lubricate the valve itself. I have seen a couple YouTube videos where they drilled a small hole in the valve to be able to spray lithium grease in and they capped it with a small screw. This sounds like a reasonable method. Has anybody tried this on the MW valves and if so how did it work.
Dachs522hund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 08:09 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

I have not tried that, but what I do use is Calgon Water Softener. After dumping, closing the valve and putting water back in the black tank I go inside and put two capfuls of Calgon in. That seems to have helped my valve considerably. Been doing this for years and it works for me.

I have also heard of the method you described. No need for me to try it.
Wayne M is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 08:39 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Thanks Wayne, we also do that Calgon/Dawn in our black tank after flushing. Not sure if difficult open/close is because of the long distance to valve or the valve itself.
Old 06-02-2020, 11:01 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

To get a better push/pull I moved the handles 6" closer to the outside of the body (purchased 2 nuts and ran handle adjustment all the way out and secured the cables better with more wire ties so they would not flex so much. Much better operation now and don't have to crawl under coach to operate. See photos in my album. I use dawn in my waste tank and the valves work much smoother.
TATANKA01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 11:29 AM   #5
Winnebago Camper

You have some great ideas.

Thanks for information on extending the black/gray tank lines. I am going to look into that for sure. You also have some great ideas that I think we can use. Appreciate it.
Old 06-03-2020, 01:53 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

Before going to extremes, pull the valve handle out and spray with some Silicone and then try it. It may just be the handle pull.
Wayne M is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 04:34 PM   #7
Winnebago Watcher

dump valves

Because you have cables to the valves you should go to a motorcycle shop, and pick up a cable lube thingeeee. You can then pick up a can of white lube with silicone to spray down the cables. Driving a motorcycle for a lot of years that is the way we protected the cables.
gwdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2020, 05:55 AM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Easy to trim to size or just replace

The length of the cable binds their operation but they are easy to cut. In my case I HAD to do this since it was so difficult to open that the handle broke off while dumping! Remove from the valve with an Allen wrench and stretch to size, use a piece of tape to mark the proper length don’t forget to measure the operating length of the inner cable.Remove the entire cable and take it to a table grinder then carefully twist the outer cable while grinding without damaging the inner cable until it’s cut off. Then cut off the inner cable to the same operating length as it was and go ahead and lube it. Reinstall and your done! Although In my case one of the Allen screws was impossible to remove so I Ended up buying a whole new valve. Not exactly a fun job but now they work great!
TonyOIB is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cat, tank