Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-12-2023, 03:58 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Kwikee Steps Failure

My Kwikee steps failed to extend last week. I went through all the troubleshooting steps with the 4pin plug and verified all the correct signals were present. I then checked the 2pin plug and verified 12 volts was present which indicated a motor problem.

I tapped the motor with a hammer and the steps started working correctly. However, a few hours later they failed again.

I removed the motor assembly with the attached gear box and opened up the motor. Everything looked good so I cleaned the brushes and the communicator with scotchbrite. To reinstall the armature, I used a couple of rubber bands to temporarily hold the brushes in place while I inserted the communicator and rotor assembly in place. I took a pair of Channelocks and put pressure on the gear so the armature would not be pulled out by the magnets in the stator when I re-installed the stator.

The steps have worked correctly for the past week so I think they will continue to do so. But for insurance I purchased an identical motor assembly from amazon for $35 which I will keep as a spare.

Amazon has several motor assemblies that are similar, but only 2 had the attached 2pin plug I needed. The one I needed had a pin that extended out about 1/2inch out of the gear. See https://www.amazon.com/HZ-MONSTAR-30...656953&sr=8-14

Tags
kwikee, steps