Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-31-2022, 09:09 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

2018 MInnie Winnie 26A Upgrades?

I bought our Minnie Winnie 3 years old and had no idea what I was getting into, overall I’m happy with it except for the steely overhead cab space and the interior engine cover takes up leg space even though I’m short. It was a rental for the first two years in 2018 and needed an alignment but we are happy with the layout and power. I’ve been thinking of getting the short class A since I think it would be much easier to drive across the country with a heavier chassis but until then I’m looking for suggestions for 26A chassis upgrades that’s another thing to think about. Most o my RV trips are an hour away from home so we don’t burn a lot of gas but it did cost $2000 for 87 gas going from CA to Indy and back. We pull a Jeep and it’s not recommended to pull anything heavier with the Mercedes diesels
RBwinnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2022, 11:07 AM   #2
Winnebago Camper

I had a 25' mercedes sprinter class C for 6 years. Last year i upgraded to a 2021 29V and I can't tell you how much I love this coach! We looked at the 27 but it did not have very much storage on the inside. After driving it on my first long trip from Virginia to Fredericksburg TX I was blown off the road by tractor trailers and the high winds. When we were on concrete highways driving over the Joints between them the bumps wereas a living nightmare. When I got back home I installed a front steering stabalizer, rear track bar and Koni shocks front and back. When I went on my second trip it was a dream driving the motorhome, no more getting blown off the road by wind or trucks and bridges and joints were not an issue any more the ride is exceptional.
gmulcahy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2022, 11:16 AM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Upgrades

Thank you for that information, I’ll look into that before we travel to see our grandson in The Midwest four months from now
Old 01-31-2022, 02:41 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

V10

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExBuckeye View Post
With the Ford v10 most people say 7-10 mpg. I
have not measured mine but that sounds about right depending how you drive.
7-10 MPG with a V10?. Come on Buckeye, get serious, whoever those people were who told you the upper range must have been going across ND with a 40 MPH tail wind. LOL
SgtB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2022, 05:52 PM   #5
Site Team

My Vista 26HE got a little over 8 mpg. My heavier Adventurer 35P gets a little over 7 mpg. I tow most of the time and travel usually involves a mountain pass or two. I usually travel with full tanks but stay about 60mph on the highway. I rarely get tail wind…seems like I’m usually facing the wind both directions! :-)
macnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2022, 03:21 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Upgrade

Quote:
Originally Posted by RBwinnie View Post
Thank you for that information, I’ll look into that before we travel to see our grandson in The Midwest four months from now
Ordered a roadmaster steering damper for $250 but there was no arrival date so I replaced the original damper with a Bilstien damper for $120 and simple install plus both rear shocks replaced with Konl 8805-1043 for $380. Upgrade took me less than three hours and made a big difference on my next drive to the California coast on a windy day.
Old 02-24-2022, 04:19 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

I have a 2020 Sunstar 27P with no mods to steering or suspension, and after owning/driving it for a year I see no need to add any. I did have the wheel alignment checked at my local Ford truck service centre (was in for first oil change). Alignment was fine and needed no adjustment. The service tech told me that I should remember that it is truck chassis, and not a car, and to drive accordingly. It's worked for me. YMMV.

He also said that he sees more than a few with poor alignment.

Cheers
6cwayne is offline   Reply With Quote