Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-30-2021, 03:33 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

2018 Minnie Winnie 26A

I purchased my C class E450 with 45K miles and it felt like I was driving on a windy day so I had a wheel alignment done and the shop said I need new ball joints. it felt better after the alignment without spending the extra $2000 on other stuff the tire shop said I needed to do but it was very hard to drive across the country in windy areas, does anyone else have similar experience with this or is it just normal for slight wind causing interstate front end wandering?
RBwinnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2021, 08:45 PM   #2
Site Team

Hi RBwinnie,
Worn ball joints are a concern. If the previous owner would dry-steer the motorhome without any movement fore or aft, then I believe the ball joints could have been worn in just 45K miles. One sign of worn ball joints is for the steering wheel to shake when braking.
On the other hand, $2,000 sounds high for ball joints. Can you get a second opinion?
Welcome to the Forum.
Eagle5
Old 07-31-2021, 04:07 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

If this is your first RV, then yes. There is a learning curve to driving and RV in wind conditions. Remember you are driving a big bill board down the road so many things effect the handling. I would start by getting another shop to look at your ball joints. If need replaced then I would think you should. After that there are many different types of steering assest products on the market. All say they will help in handling, may be worth you checking into that.

Good Luck safe travels
be happy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2021, 08:25 AM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Thank you for the advise

I have a second steering inspection scheduled. Does anyone know if a good Sam gold warranty with $500 deductible would cover $1000 ball joint replacement?
Thanks
Old 08-06-2021, 05:58 AM   #5
Winnebago Camper

I would bet ball joints would be considered a wear/tear item, so I would be surprised if it was covered.
Old 08-06-2021, 12:57 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Thanks Eagle5

Having the front end inspected by another shop today, I wouldn’t be surprised if there was dry steering since it was a rental for a few years. The house batteries were abused and wouldn’t hold a charge for 24 hours so I replaced them with a Lithium iron battery and making sure to disconnect the battery when I drive to protect the alternator, now I get six days without a charge even using the inverter to plug the coffee maker in and not necessary to start the generator.
Old 08-08-2021, 06:00 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by RBwinnie View Post
I purchased my C class E450 with 45K miles and it felt like I was driving on a windy day so I had a wheel alignment done and the shop said I need new ball joints. it felt better after the alignment without spending the extra $2000 on other stuff the tire shop said I needed to do but it was very hard to drive across the country in windy areas, does anyone else have similar experience with this or is it just normal for slight wind causing interstate front end wandering?
I bought the Minnie Winnie Ford E 350 because there is a Ford dealership in nearly every town of any size. Coincidently, Ford is the nearest truck repair and maintenance shop to my home. I've had good service there, so if there is one near to you, I would suggest you see what their reviews are and give them a try. They would know the specs best.

Driving across the prairies some days, (similar to the US plains), I had the wheel cocked a few degrees into the wind, alert to transport trucks that might break the flow.
Jos 56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2021, 07:52 PM   #8
Minnie Winnie 26A

I have the same model as you. They are all tough to handle in bigger winds. My rule is I don't drive if the wind is about 22mph+. Of course I also don't drive in the rain or at night either. Its good to be retired. I am comfortable at 70mph w/o wind. As the wind increases, my speed decreases. Usually about 62mph at 15mph wind or so.
GaryKowal1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2021, 08:01 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Wind sway

Quote:
Originally Posted by RBwinnie View Post
I have a 2018 31 G . On a E450 chassis. It is the best handling unit I have owned and it is number 8 . Check your tire pressure. Mine also has Firestone Ride Right bags in the rear. Tires do make a difference.
68silverlane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2021, 08:11 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper

Ford dealership

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jos 56 View Post
I bought the Minnie Winnie Ford E 350 because there is a Ford dealership in nearly every town of any size. Coincidently, Ford is the nearest truck repair and maintenance shop to my home. I've had good service there, so if there is one near to you, I would suggest you see what their reviews are and give them a try. They would know the specs best.

Driving across the prairies some days, (similar to the US plains), I had the wheel cocked a few degrees into the wind, alert to transport trucks that might break the flow.
I have found most Ford auto dealers refuse to work on R V s . I have only found one truck dealer willing to do work for me.
68silverlane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2021, 08:43 PM   #11

I go to a dealership that handles commercial truck service. Auto dealers don't all have the shop height and lifts to handle heavy trucks. But I live in a town of 1 million inhabitants, so I may be spoiled for choice.
Jos 56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2021, 08:16 AM   #12
Winnebago Camper

The first shop said all of the front end parts were worn out and needed to be replaced for $2500 but I just had them do an alignment for $200. The second shop said nothing needed to be replaced but the alignment specs were way off so they fixed that and it drives stable now. The first shop was a tire shop that I thought would be capable of performing a wheel alignment.
Old 08-11-2021, 09:29 AM   #13
Site Team

Hi RBwinnie,
That is really good news. So glad it was a logical and inexpensive repair.
One thought I would like to add is to make sure that all of your ball-joint grease fittings are accessible and are greased at every oil change. Below is my post on one of my grease fittings:
Zerk Fitting, or Grease Fitting, on the 22M
Also, very good news that you had "no shakin' when you're brakin'"
Thanks, Eagle5
Old 10-03-2021, 08:17 AM   #14
Winnebago Camper

I’m looking for suggestions for replacing the stock shocks with upgrade after market shocks and if anyone thinks this makes a difference with their C class ride. Thanks