Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class C Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 03-03-2024, 05:28 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

2005 Minnie Winnie - bdr slide not working

I store the RV about an hour away from the home and went out there today to check on it. The engine battery was dead. Thought I would use my house batteries to boost it but that did not work. Must be a really dead battery.

Then I noticed the slide in the bedroom was in about 4 inches and I could see a bit of daylight. Tried to extend it but did not work. Would not even retract either.

I was running AC power but nothing. The emergency brake was on and was wondering that since the engine battery was dead could this be causing the problem.

I did crank up the gen and it still did not work.

I did not check the breakers as I was focused on other things that need to get done.

Any thoughts?

TIA
Matthew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2024, 08:28 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

Most all functions mentioned will depend on good 12Volt DC. I would first verify the batteries are charged and good enough to hold the charge and that will make several items begin to work.
Typical situation that causes this is when we store the RV, thinking we have the AC cord plugged in to keep it all charged but there are often faults in this thinking. One is leaving the battery disconnect turned off as that also opens the path from the charging to the batteries and small drains run the coach battery down.
Second point is that many RV do not have any plan to get power from the system charging the coach over to keep the chassis side charged, if it has not been added.
But number two depends on number one working!

But that brings the question of how you got the generator to crank if the coach batteries were dead? Dirty cables may also be involved but first thought is dead batteries!
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2024, 10:41 PM   #3
Willow Rider

The owner manual (p. 13-2) mentions an auxiliary start switch that taps into a reserve for starting the engine when the chassis battery is low on charge. When the slide won’t operate, the manual suggests setting the auxiliary start switch to the momentary (MOM) setting to use the coach batteries to operate the slide. You didn’t note whether the coach batteries still had a charge but you did manage to start the generator …

You probably know, but in the event, there is a breaker specific to the slide. The manual shows it in the third position (first breaker) in the breaker panel in the passenger side storage compartment on one or the other side of the main door.
WillowRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2024, 06:49 AM   #4
Winnebago Camper

I am new to this RV, I am guessing that that house batteries were ok as the gen started. I think on the instrument panel it says if the light is on it is charging (solar) and the light was on but it was red. Can not remember if it was green before or if it is always red.

I did not have a lot of time there and next trip I will take a volt tester and battery charger. I will pay more attention to that and the slide.

I was more concerned abut the roof leak that I patched several weeks ago and it seemed to be ok and I was spending more of the time getting the stain off the ceiling carpet..
Old 03-04-2024, 08:50 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

So you are saying you were able to crank the generator enough to start, using only the onboard power? That throws the problem over into bad cables rather than dead batteries.

Point to keep in mind that batteries need to be watched and if we leave them without charging, they will go down. Leaving them down for too long is one sure way to totally kill them.
For me, that makes assuring they are getting and maintaining a charge a real priority!
Old 03-04-2024, 10:01 AM   #6
Winnebago Camper

I suppose rats could be an issue. I have not seen anything in the coach but did not look under the hood.

I was thinking that if the engine battery was not working how would it know that the parking break is on. I think you can only open the slide when that is engaged.
Old 03-04-2024, 10:56 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

The problem may be that you are looking at too many problems at once and they are all saying the batteries are not good.
Without telling us WHICH model RV you have, we are left to guess and that means lots of the answers folks may give are not correct for your Rv!
Without knowing what year and model we can't go to drawings that show how your RVis wired.

So some guesses may help? Do you hear the hydraulic pump start when you try to move the slide? I would guess not and that is one big clue to why it won't move.
Dead battery, the slide is dead.
Do the inside lights come on? Dead battery, they will be dead also.
Dead coach battery also means it won't help to start the engine!
If the disconnect switch was pushed to cut the power, the relay it moves will be latched in the disengaged position and stay there until it has battery power to move!

What can happen is we push the disconnect switch to open the relay, it moves to disconnect the relay and then if the batteries run down, there is nothing to get the relay from the latched disengage position to latch closed!

The only way to get this relay to move to close is to get good battery power back. We can't do it with the power cord and onboard converter because they are disconnected from the battteries.
Old 03-04-2024, 11:34 AM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Sorry about that, I have a 2005 Winnebago Minnie Winnie 30V.

The slide was dead. I had been in the rv for some time with it connected to electric. Everything was working inside. Then noticed the bedroom slide was not all the way out, so went to start up the engine and that is when I found out that battery was dead. Tried to hit the switch to give it momentary power but that did not work probably because I was not doing it right or the house batteries were low.

I turned off the electric, lights seemed to work on house batteries, tried the slide again and nothing, totally dead. Thats when I started the generator and that did not make any difference with the slide either.

I did not turn off and on the other beakers as I just hit the main of and on as I did not think the slide was on a beaker.

I am really gonna have to think on this a bit. Thats a lot of input.

Thank you.
Old 03-04-2024, 01:56 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

Some bits and pieces of ideas to let you do a more complete job of looking it over when times comes right! Maybe bare with me if I tell you things you already know but I like to avoid blowing by some of the tiny points as they can be really important and really confusing.
When plugged into power, there is a transfer switch as first stop. It chooses whether to tie to the cord or the wires coming from the generator and should switch automatically which to connect to the wires going to the !C breakers at the load center.

I might jump to looking for that part working right as a first and easy step.
Does you microwave have lights on the front to show it is getting that power? If no light that is easy to spot, try plugging something like a lamp into an outlet?
If you get power to either microwave or an outlet, no worry about the 110AC or transfer switch because they have to be right to get power that far!

Then there is a converter, fed by that 110 AC and it "makes" 12VDC to run the inside lights and store excess in the coach batteries.
Easy check is to turn on some inside light, fan or water pump as they all have to run on 12VDC. If they come on, no worry about the battery disconnect switch as it has to be closed!
If those inside things DON"T work, a check of why the converter power is not getting to them is needed!

This drawing shows some points to check. Click this to get better view!
Click image for larger version

Name:	battery.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	188.7 KB
ID:	188447

If microwave or outlets are working, we assume power from the cord is getting to the main breaker and it is passing on to the smaller breakers! So we "think" the converter is getting the 110AC power is needs to make the 12VDC? But make sure this breaker it shares with frig is on!
OR maybe you hear it humming and that tells you it is working? Maybe hear a fan on hot days?
This breaker sends power TO the converter and it then sends 12VDC back to the fuses on the 12Volt side.

Guessing here as I don't have an RV here to check but I "think" the lug I marked in orange is direct connection to coach battery and you should see the battery voltage here when you turn the converter breaker off!
A good battery is likely to be more than 12 volts if it has not been charged for a couple hours and it is holding a charge.

Then when you turn the converter breaker on, that lug to the batteries should jump up to between 12-14 as the charge voltage from the converter shows
up!

That part should get power to the coach batteries if all is right. But there are lots of times when dirty battery cables keep it all from working, so do a check of them, both positive as well as the negative that goes down to a ground on the frame! It is easy to miss looking at the ground if it is down behind the batteries and out of sight!

If you get good power at the coach batteries, then try starting the RV engine.
If it won't crank or is real slow, try holding the boost start switch while cranking as that should connect the coach and chassis batteries together.
If the engine won't crank when alone but does crank when connected to a good coach battery, suspect bad or rundown chassis battery?

Normally the chassis battery is charged by the RV engine alternator, BUT you have to get it started FIRST! The dash switch is just a quick way to get a "jump start" without getting out jumper cables!
Of course it only works if you have power in the coach batteries first. Kind of a chain of failures if the first part is not right!

See if that makes sense when next getting out to it?
We can get into how they get connected and work through it but I suspect it is more likely just this part letting you down.
Good battery power is what makes so much of the RV work but they are also the most common thing to give us trouble!
Old 03-16-2024, 08:48 AM   #10
Winnebago Camper

Just a short follow up. Was able to spend a few minutes looking at the RV yesterday as I was picking up my granddaughter.

I was able to put a jump start pack on the engine battery and was able to start it. I then ran back to the bedroom slide and it was still dead. Came back to the engine and it was off. The battery is dead dead. I will do an over night charge later.

I did check breakers and fuses and at a quick glance I did not notice anything.

Would the dead engine battery not send a signal to the slide that the emergency brake is on?
Old 03-16-2024, 09:54 AM   #11
Winnebago Master

I would start working the problem with getting the engine start battery in good shape. If it has been down and dead for long, it may not be any good and may not hold a charge even after being fully charged for a long time.
But I would first start with getting the engine to start as that provides the power for other things like the pump to move the slides!
There are a couple breakers which you may have missed and I believe they will be in compartment just forward from steps?
Click these snips to see better!

Look in here?

Name:	step.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	257.9 KB
ID:	188563
Find this cover with label ?

Name:	bkrs.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	100.2 KB
ID:	188564

Breakers may pop out to show tripped? I think it will be two left breakers for slides but they should also have labels on them! Maybe give them a check once engine is started?

Once engine is started, there is a solenoid which should close and connect the chassis /start battery and the engine alternator together with the coach batteries and that should let all the 12 volt things start to work, even if the coach battery is run down! Inside lights, fans, water pump and such should then be getting power from the engine alternator as long as the engine runs!

That is the best time to check the slide works as everything should have good power without worry about the batteries for anything as they can work off the alternator!
Kind of slowly adding things like we might build a house?
The foundation might be the start battery. We get it good to start the engine which then makes the alternator run.
Getting that power should then automatically connect to give good power to the coach battery things!
Once it all should be getting power, we can start looking at why each item may not work, like the slide!
Maybe it does have a breaker or fuse blown but that won't matter until we know it is getting power to the breakers or fuses!
Old 04-21-2024, 04:43 PM   #12
Winnebago Camper

Finally got a new engine battery and put a solar panel on it with a charge controller so I don't have any more of those issues.

Interesting that the bedroom slide was back in by about 4 inches. Hit the slide button and it moved back into the fully out position. We plan to go back out this next Friday so we will see if it moved back in by a few inches again.

This is like the 4th time. Not sure if it has done it since we put the new battery in or not.

Crazy stuff...
Old 04-21-2024, 05:55 PM   #13
Winnebago Master

Sounds like moving in the right direction. One of the big things I find about RV is that the first step for almost all things is getting the batteries in good shape. So many of the other mechanical things like frig, furnace and slides may not actually use the 12VDC directly as they have motors, etc. that require higher power like 110Ac but then when we look closer, lots of those things do use 12VDc battery for controls and such.
So if we are not careful to get good battery, we can wind up chasing something really hard, only to find the real problem is that the little electronic "brains" are not reliable!

So maybe you've got step one, so moving on to other problems! That's progress!

An idea on the slide moving in? Looking at the parts drawings here:
https://www.winnebago.com/Files/File...05/5wf430v.pdf

This tells me you have a hydraulic system on your RV, while some will have small electric motors to move the slide. That makes much of the problems that other have different than what you will have! Use care when looking for solutions as the two will have different problems with different solutions!

I'm far from a hydraulic expert, so you will need more ideas than I've got but one thing that does happen is due to the way hydraulics work.
There is a pump that get signals from the electronics (buttons?) and build pressure on the fluid. Then when we have pushed the right buttons, solenoids open and close to pass that pressure to different part of the system to let the high pressure move cylinders in or out and that moves the slide.
What can happen in the case when the slide moves when nobody is changing the switches can be due to rubber seals or O-rings getting a little worn or nicked so that the pressure leaks and changes so that the cylinder that moves the slide can begin to move slowly! Maybe a scratch in one of the cylinders and that lets the pressure change but only while the slide is extended to that spot where it leaks?
Think of two guys on each side of a door and they come to a stop but one guy gets weak, so the door begins to move?

That gets into the stuff I have little idea on where to go next!
Best of luck to you is the best I can do!

Tags
slide