Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class B Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 03-10-2021, 01:04 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

2016 Era - replacement fuel filter?

Entertaining replacing the fuel filter on our 2016 Era (manufacture date March 2016, MB 3.0L turbo diesel, fairly certain it's the OM642 engine) myself as getting it done by Mercedes-Benz is pretty expensive. I've watched several YouTube videos on the topic and it seems relatively easy to do. I'm trying to figure out which filter to buy and that seems more difficult than anticipated.

I called the local MB dealer, gave them the VIN and they said they can't tell me, they would have to see the vehicle. Apparently there are 2 different filters listed for this model year, one for $120 and the other for $200.

I looked on Amazon and see several different filters listed. The site shows one "without integrated heating" and another "with integrated heating and connection for water suction".

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...k_ql_qh_dp_hza

https://www.amazon.com/Mann-Filter-W...+Sprinter+3500

I've tried attaching a cell phone shot of the current filter in our Era. I don't see how to directly embed an image as it seems to require the image to be on a web server somewhere.

Also, any thoughts on using standard hose clamps (with the screw mechanism) rather than the Mercedes-Benz clamps on the fuel lines? That would make future filter replacements easier. I ran into one comment on the web, for what it's worth, saying the original-style MB clamps should be used as regular hose clamps could leak under the supposedly high fuel pressure from the pump. A lot of YouTube videos show regular hose clamps being used, apparently without any issues, so I'm thinking it's probably not an issue.

Any assistance would be appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	winnebago.era.engine.fuel.filter.small.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	407.9 KB
ID:	177684  
RV-Travelers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2021, 03:18 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

I think that's the deluxe model, with the heat and water drain/separator, but I'm no expert. Try asking over on Sprinter-Source (with your pic) dot com. There are some Sprinter mechanics over there that would be able to indentify it from the picture, I'm almost certain.
Winterbagoal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2021, 04:21 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterbagoal View Post
I think that's the deluxe model, with the heat and water drain/separator, but I'm no expert. Try asking over on Sprinter-Source (with your pic) dot com. There are some Sprinter mechanics over there that would be able to indentify it from the picture, I'm almost certain.
Thanks for the reference, will do.
Old 03-10-2021, 09:54 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Replacement fuel filter

Per Winterbagoal's recommendation I checked out the forums at sprinter-source.com which I was previously unaware of. I found several interesting threads regarding fuel filters for the Mercedes-Benz 3.0L V6 diesel engine and others. Some of the more relevant threads included the following:

https://sprinter-source.com/forums/i...threads/94752/

https://sprinter-source.com/forums/i...threads/47730/

Based on those threads, some other research, a photo I snapped of my fuel filter (currently installed in the vehicle) and product photos from Amazon, it appears the Mann WK 820/15 would be the appropriate replacement. If anyone believes otherwise, speak now or forever...

BTW, our 2016 Era currently has a paltry 20K miles. MB's maintenance schedules call for replacing the fuel filter at 20K-mile or 1-year intervals. Some of the chatter on various threads claim fuel filters on Sprinters are typically good for 40K-50K miles. I'm OK with spending the money (around $70, a bit more if I purchase one of the the MB-specific clamp tools) and time if necessary, but if it can wait a while I'd also be OK with putting it off to perhaps 30K or 40K miles. Any thoughts on that?
Old 03-11-2021, 07:11 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by RV-Travelers View Post
Per Winterbagoal's recommendation I checked out the forums at sprinter-source.com which I was previously unaware of. I found several interesting threads regarding fuel filters for the Mercedes-Benz 3.0L V6 diesel engine and others. Some of the more relevant threads included the following:

https://sprinter-source.com/forums/i...threads/94752/

https://sprinter-source.com/forums/i...threads/47730/

Based on those threads, some other research, a photo I snapped of my fuel filter (currently installed in the vehicle) and product photos from Amazon, it appears the Mann WK 820/15 would be the appropriate replacement. If anyone believes otherwise, speak now or forever...

BTW, our 2016 Era currently has a paltry 20K miles. MB's maintenance schedules call for replacing the fuel filter at 20K-mile or 1-year intervals. Some of the chatter on various threads claim fuel filters on Sprinters are typically good for 40K-50K miles. I'm OK with spending the money (around $70, a bit more if I purchase one of the the MB-specific clamp tools) and time if necessary, but if it can wait a while I'd also be OK with putting it off to perhaps 30K or 40K miles. Any thoughts on that?
If you're not putting suspect diesel in it, getting any CELs that might refer to water in fuel, or other problems that might be filter related, I'd probably wait for warmer weather, but that's just me. What does the service schedule in the OM or Maintenance book say about it?
I haven't driven or Navion for over 1.5 months due to the weather (I hate snow/slush, but road salt in particular) so mine's been sitting, no fuel movement through the system.
I did my first A Service prior to our second trip our at around 15,000 miles, but it doesn'call for a fuel filter replacement. I did the B Service at around 28,000 miles which does replace the fuel filter, again before an expected long trip. I'm a bit OCD about oil/fluid/filter changes, preferring to do them early than late. I think the actual interval is around 40,000 miles for the B Service, so that would be when MB thinks it's time for a fuel filter replacement. Confused yet? Me too.
Old 03-11-2021, 09:24 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

MB fuel filter replacement schedule

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterbagoal View Post
If you're not putting suspect diesel in it, getting any CELs that might refer to water in fuel, or other problems that might be filter related, I'd probably wait for warmer weather, but that's just me. What does the service schedule in the OM or Maintenance book say about it?
I haven't driven or Navion for over 1.5 months due to the weather (I hate snow/slush, but road salt in particular) so mine's been sitting, no fuel movement through the system.
I did my first A Service prior to our second trip our at around 15,000 miles, but it doesn'call for a fuel filter replacement. I did the B Service at around 28,000 miles which does replace the fuel filter, again before an expected long trip. I'm a bit OCD about oil/fluid/filter changes, preferring to do them early than late. I think the actual interval is around 40,000 miles for the B Service, so that would be when MB thinks it's time for a fuel filter replacement. Confused yet? Me too.
Thanks for the feedback. No concerns about the diesel I've been putting in it (but that may just be ignorance on my part) and no warning messages about potential issues. We have been getting a service B overdue message lately but nothing specific about any issues.

I picked up a service A & B worksheet from our local MB dealer last year. It's for a 2015 Sprinter (ours is a 2016) but I'm assuming it's the same. It says to replace the fuel filter if it has 20,000 miles on it or has been more than 1 year since it was last replaced. In our case it's the original filter and it's right at the 20,000 mile mark.

I'm leaning towards waiting until we hit 25,000 or 30,000 miles.

We haven't been out much in our Era, total of 4 trips, in the nearly 2 years we've had it due to the pandemic and some other issues. I do try to start the engine about once a month and run it for 5 minutes. Not sure if that's accomplishing anything useful, but it makes me feel better.

When we're not using the Era I plug it in about once every 3 to 4 weeks to charge the coach batteries. When it's hooked up I usually run all the appliances for at least a few minutes to make sure everything is working. I also connect the chassis battery to a charger to keep it topped up.
Old 03-11-2021, 10:23 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by RV-Travelers View Post
Thanks for the feedback. No concerns about the diesel I've been putting in it (but that may just be ignorance on my part) and no warning messages about potential issues. We have been getting a service B overdue message lately but nothing specific about any issues.

I picked up a service A & B worksheet from our local MB dealer last year. It's for a 2015 Sprinter (ours is a 2016) but I'm assuming it's the same. It says to replace the fuel filter if it has 20,000 miles on it or has been more than 1 year since it was last replaced. In our case it's the original filter and it's right at the 20,000 mile mark.

I'm leaning towards waiting until we hit 25,000 or 30,000 miles.

We haven't been out much in our Era, total of 4 trips, in the nearly 2 years we've had it due to the pandemic and some other issues. I do try to start the engine about once a month and run it for 5 minutes. Not sure if that's accomplishing anything useful, but it makes me feel better.

When we're not using the Era I plug it in about once every 3 to 4 weeks to charge the coach batteries. When it's hooked up I usually run all the appliances for at least a few minutes to make sure everything is working. I also connect the chassis battery to a charger to keep it topped up.
Sounds pretty much like my usage patterns lately, and I do keep mine plugged in all the time here at home, and I also have a charger that I use to siphon some power from the coach batteries to keep the chassis battery up. It seems to work for me.
Starting and running for 5 minutes probably does no harm and is a feel good thing to do, but idling for longer periods is supposed to cause SCR/DPF problems, so keep the run time short if possible. Or, get it out and drive it at freeway speeds for 20 minutes or so once in a while if you can, to clean things up. Any time I turn the key and the engine starts, it's a bonus, on any vehicle.

Tags
ace, fuel, replace, replacement