Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class B Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 02-01-2021, 12:41 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

2017 Era 70X awning lights not working

The LED awning (awning rail) lights on our 2017 Era 70X no longer work.

The LED lights themselves are fine -- I checked with a portable power supply.

The wiring was pinched after the dealer installed new awning fabric under warranty. I located and repaired the pinch, but still no lights.

Checked the Precision Circuits fuse panel and the in-line fuse for the lights, but all was OK?

Any ideas?
White Cloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2021, 01:34 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

This is where there might be several points to check and one of them sounds like I'm really accusing you but still it might happen!!!

So LED need to have the polarity (battery and ground?) correct to light. So is there any chance that got turned backwards when repairing the wiring? Maybe worth comparing the temporary supply polarity to the permanent wiring, just to make sure?
This idea comes from me screwing up the simple stuff so often????

From there I would have to start back along the power and check each joint for having both battery and ground on things like the switch and back into anything else you can find on the route.

One big problem is that we don't get the really good schematics on the after 2010 group like we do on older! They have gone to less online info and left us to sort using a wire ID system which is supposed to let us trace things. It is difficult at best , for me to use.

Idea is that there are labels on the wires and using a chart we can look up that ID to see the "from" and "to" of the route. Kind of works---if we know where that "TO" item is located!

Link to the magic "decoder" chart:
https://www.winnebago.com/Files/File...ical_guide.pdf
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	wire id.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	23.4 KB
ID:	177081  
Morich is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2021, 02:43 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Great information for a variety of purposes! Thank you!
Old 02-01-2021, 03:15 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

Small point that "might' help speed the search if you get into looking for things on the wire ID chart?
On my computer, if I pull up the list, hit Ctrl and "f", it will bring a dropdown to the top of the list, where I can put in an item to look for in that list.
Very handy way to search for a term quickly as it then brings a list of how many times it has found that item in that list as well as arrows to move up or down in the list they find!

So when I go to the list, put in awning light, it brings a group of five where that fits!

So you can work it forward with knowing then ID of a wire or if you know where one end is light the "awning light", you may be able to quickly pull up the wire ID of ZZK goes from the switch to the light!

Sometimes the hunt and peck is all we get for help! Good luck>>>>
Morich is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2021, 11:03 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Awning Lights Back on Line

I once heard Ross Perot speak when he was running for President. He said, "Got a Problem? Get all the world's experts in one room and shut the door. When they come out, problem solved!"

Well, problem solved on the awning lights. There is an in-line fuse (5A) at the multiplexer panel -- but buried DEEP under wire bundles, along with another in-line fuse for some other circuit that is right on top. I finally found the awning light fuse.

Thanks to Morich and to Lonnie at Winnebago for the good advice and excellent technical data and schematics.

Tags
awning, light, lights