Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class B Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 02-01-2021, 12:26 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

2016 Era back-up camera failure and replacement

More fun with the 2016 Era we purchased used...

About a year after purchasing it the factory-installed back-up camera died. It was fogged internally and obviously water had gotten in to it.

Looking at the camera, there appear to be 3 possible places where water could leak in - where the glass meets the body, the seam where the 2 halves of the body fit together and where the cable enters the rear of the camera body.

The most likely place is where the cable enters the rear of the camera. There was no grommet / seal at that point and no signs of any weatherproofing.

I called Winnebago and they feigned surprise to hear about it, but I'm guessing water leaking into these cameras isn't an uncommon occurrence.

The original Winnebago part (323840-01-00) was no longer available. Winnebago directed me to River Park (https://riverparkinc.com/) where I was able to purchase a replacement camera (part number C1000ATC) for about $200.

The replacement camera had the same mounting holes as the original and the correct (square Tyco) connector, which made installation much easier.

In an effort to provide some weatherproofing I put silicone caulk around the glass where it meets the camera body and also around the seam where the halves of the body meet. No idea if that accomplished anything but at least I felt a bit better about it.

Did the following to replace the camera:
  1. Removed the trim piece at the top inside the rear doors
  2. Removed the sealant on the top of the roof behind the mount, where the cable goes through the roof
  3. Unbolted the camera
  4. Connected the new camera and made sure it worked before going any further
  5. Mounted and aimed the camera
  6. Applied a liberal amount of clear silicone caulk where the cable enters the rear of the camera
  7. Resealed the hole in the roof
  8. Replaced the trim piece

The camera is working fine. I'm not terribly impressed with the clarity and resolution, not sure if it's the camera, monitor or both.
RV-Travelers is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ace, camera, replace, replacement