Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-12-2015, 02:38 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

2010 WGO Vista 30W cold weather use

While crawling around under my WGO Vista, I noticed that none of the tanks (black, gray or fresh) are exposed to the elements. Does this mean the rig can be used in cold weather without winterizing? By "cold weather," I mean 2-3 hours of 25F to 30F at night, climbing above 40F during the day.

Is there a better way to protect the outside shower head, hose and valves other than a 60W bulb in the compartment?

Are there other areas I should try to protect? Thanks.
LeeOts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015, 03:27 PM   #2
Winnie-Wise

I found no information on winter use for your RV. There is no mention of cold weather use except for cautions about condensation.

http://winnebagoind.com/resources/ma...10/10Vista.pdf

Often insulated or heated compartments will be labeled as such. On my RV, the wet bay is labeled 'insulated and heated' and we have used it in below freezing conditions. The forced air furnace has a duct in the wet bay to keep things flowing. We have to keep this in mind when using space heaters, if the furnace doesn't run, the wet bay will get cold.

You might put a remote wireless thermometer in the tank area and monitor temperatures. An incandescent bulb or two can keep things above 32º if they are closed off and perhaps insulated.

You might contact Winnebago and see if they can tell you about cold weather use.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015, 07:42 PM   #3
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeOts View Post
While crawling around under my WGO Vista, I noticed that none of the tanks (black, gray or fresh) are exposed to the elements. Does this mean the rig can be used in cold weather without winterizing? By "cold weather," I mean 2-3 hours of 25F to 30F at night, climbing above 40F during the day.

Is there a better way to protect the outside shower head, hose and valves other than a 60W bulb in the compartment?

Are there other areas I should try to protect? Thanks.
I don't think that I would have any problems under the conditions that you state. However, just in case I encounter colder temps, I went with a temperature controlled outlet attached to a small heater. The temperature controlled outlet is set to maintain 40*F in the wet bay.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1234.jpg
Views:	187
Size:	231.6 KB
ID:	114012  
aauummm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015, 08:15 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post
...You might put a remote wireless thermometer in the tank area and monitor temperatures. An incandescent bulb or two can keep things above 32º if they are closed off and perhaps insulated...
That's a good idea to get a sense of how cold it gets in the wet bay. I use a 60W bulb in there but that's only good when I'm hooked up. When we're boondocking, I need something that doesn't require 120v.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aauummm View Post
...I went with a temperature controlled outlet attached to a small heater. The temperature controlled outlet is set to maintain 40*F in the wet bay.
Never thought about a temp controlled outlet but that still presents a problem for boondocking.

Thanks for the ideas.
Old 12-12-2015, 08:49 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

WGO told me in an email on our 2012 -30T that as long as the furnace was functioning it was good for around 26 degrees. Below that winterize. None of my compartments are labled that I can see. First cold weather trip is coming up so will see.
jazzerjump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015, 09:26 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzerjump View Post
WGO told me in an email on our 2012 -30T that as long as the furnace was functioning it was good for around 26 degrees. Below that winterize. None of my compartments are labled that I can see. First cold weather trip is coming up so will see.
Please post your experience. I'm curious as to how cold you get and for how long. In our previous 2006 WGO View, the outside shower head valves froze at one point. When I went to sell it, repairing it was a PITA.
Old 12-12-2015, 09:31 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Will let sll know. Dont have an outside shower but the water pump is located toward the outboard side of the bay. Will see how it goes
jazzerjump is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cold weather