Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class A Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 07-11-2023, 09:23 PM   #1
2019 Vista LX 30T

Tips for knowing RV clearance from scraping front/back/bottom

Hello,
In the Seattle area, there is a nice Forest Service campground nearby, called the Middle Fork CG. It's on the Snoqualmie River, middle fork, of course.
I scouted it and the road to it in my Jeep last week. Just before the CG, there are two good-sized dips built in to the road, across which runs a creek during the rainy/snowmelt season. It was dry in early July. Has anyone been to the CG in a class A MH? did you scrape front or back? Any tips for figuring this out. I guess I could go back with my tape measure and level and string and actually measure the two dips. Or maybe ask the Forest Service, since it's their road.
Thoughts or tips?
Thanks,
Mike
mff3429 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2023, 07:38 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

Depending on type of road surface, there may not be any reliable way to use plans and written info as forest service roads are often not maintained except for rough service and rains will change them often..
The best laid plans are open to nature changing them!
A slow careful trip may be the only real way to find out but keep a plan for how to back out or turn around. That is where the wife can really be handy to drive while you look!
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2023, 08:14 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

Calculate the entrance/departure angles for your MH, each is different so your angles are for your MH only.
Distance from center of rear axle to rear bumper of MH, height of said bumper. From that create a 1" per foot scale right triangle. The rest is trig: https://www.calculator.net/triangle-calculator.html
This results in the angle-in degrees, for entrance/departure for your MH.
To find the angles for that dip, download the app for your phone Clinometer. It will automatically give you those angles just by laying your phone on the slope. (remove case/protector)

It will also display the percent of slope when mountain driving if you lay your phone on the floor beside you.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2023, 08:56 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

You guys must be talking about much more "civilized" forest service sites! The ones I remember are not meant for RV but change every time it rains and there is no way to say what it will be like next trip!
Part of it gets down to who used the trail last time it rained? If a group of mudders found it and 10-12 went through in their big hogs, everybody else may have to wait!
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2023, 10:53 PM   #5
2019 Vista LX 30T

thanks for the comments. the FS road is in fact paved the 10 miles or so to the CG. It's two lanes but narrow and the dips themselves are concreteed in place, so maybe somewhat resistant to nature washing ithem out. there's a dip then a rise out, followed by a crest in the road and another dip and rise. Plus it could be a long way to back up before a turnaround spot is found.
Maybe I'll encounter someone who has been there. or make another trip on a weekend and see what might be there.
Mike
mff3429 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2023, 08:07 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

If you can maneuver in such a way as to cross somewhat diagonally it can help prevent the ends from bottoming.
Old 07-17-2023, 07:16 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by mff3429 View Post
thanks for the comments. the FS road is in fact paved the 10 miles or so to the CG. It's two lanes but narrow and the dips themselves are concreteed in place, so maybe somewhat resistant to nature washing ithem out. there's a dip then a rise out, followed by a crest in the road and another dip and rise. Plus it could be a long way to back up before a turnaround spot is found.
Maybe I'll encounter someone who has been there. or make another trip on a weekend and see what might be there.
Mike
That's your best option would br see if you can go into the CG see if anyone in there that is close to you size. Also look for scrapes and gouges around the section of the roadway could be telltale signs. Does this CG allow large rigs into it? Smart move on your part yo ask and check it out. You don't want to find out the hard way and be stuck with a tow bill to get you out or worse yet damaged frame.it will be interesting what you find out
1237dmctlc is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scr