Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class A Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 05-20-2023, 08:06 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Slide Problem 2015 Winnebago Brave Retro 31C

Trying open the breaker panel and cannot get the cover off. Trying to resolve driver’s side slide out not retracting. Thoughts? Thanks.
Denny49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2023, 10:54 PM   #2
Site Team

Hi Denny,
It looks like your 2015 Brave Owner's Manual describes on page 6-5 that the breaker cover panel just pulls-off.
Just as a checklist of items, your manual describes on page 10-1 that the parking brake must be set, the engine be running, and the Master Slide Room Control Switch be set to <ON>.
Troubleshooting starts on page 10-3.
Good luck.
Eagle5
Old 05-20-2023, 10:54 PM   #3
Site Team

We need more info.

I looked up your past posts to see you have a 2015 Brave Retro 31C - that lets us look up your wiring diagrams, etc.

Here's a link to your wiring diagrams:

https://www.winnebago.com/Files/File..._a31c_wire.htm

When stuff doesn't work we tend to jump to the conclusion that it's a fuse or circuit breaker. Sometimes it is, mostly it isn't. Is there some reason that you think it is?

What breaker panel are you trying to open? Give us more info.

Do you know where the slide controller for that slide is? Most of them have flashing lights that indicate errors.

The first basic question is... engine on? Parking brake set? Most Winnebagos require this for slide operation.

I found the slide controllers. They are in lower compartments I believe it's the front of the coach. One on the passenger side front compartment and one in the drivers side in a compartment just behind the driver's seat.

Here's a link to that diagram:

https://www.winnebago.com/Files/File...ire_189233.pdf

That's about all the help I can give you right now. Hopefully, other's will join in but it's late on a Saturday night.
Old 05-21-2023, 08:00 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

If you are on a Ford chassis and looking under the hood, there may be a fuse panel which is a bear to get the cover off!
does it have anote on the front showing a latch on one side? If the one I'm thinking of,it IS a trick to spot the latch and I do not currently have that RV to figure it! I had to look hard every time!
It may be on the right side, but that is foggy memory, and not to be trusted too far!!

On the other hand, I would not expect a slide fuse to be in that box as it is part of the chassis wiring which comes with the stripped chassis and the slide fuses are added later.

A way to work around may be available??
Some questions on what is happening may help?
Are both slides failing and does it seem to move one way, like out but not in?
They often use the same power to move either right or left and in or out, so that might help sort it down to electrical or not??

There are two control boxes shown on the parts drawing here:
https://catalog3d.winnebagoind.com/2015/189233.htm

One on the right/passenger side and one on left or driver's side.
Perhaps you can spot the wires to check electrical at those points, if needed?

[ATTACH]Click image for larger version

Name:	control2.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	72.0 KB
ID:	186048[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	control.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	48.6 KB
ID:	186047  
Morich is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2023, 08:20 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

Looking further, is it possible this is where you need to go? Seems to show breakers at this panel?

Name:	slidde power.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	93.0 KB
ID:	186049

I tend to think of this group as outside left side but your RV may be diffferent location.
Old 05-21-2023, 09:45 AM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Motor and brake is on, switch acts as if it wants to work but last only a nanosecond and then nothing either in or out. No breakers tripped on the panel in the bedroom or the inverter. Batteries fully charged and even tried the battery boost. Beginning to wonder if the slide motors have gone out. Thanks for the input.
Old 05-21-2023, 10:04 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

Added info gives some differnt ideas.
As it tries to work, it is not likely to be fuse or breaker as they would need to be reset to work again.
The motors are not likely to go bad and then try to work a second time.
But there is one item which may be really suspect as switches do have small parts inside which may make contact when they are ina very specific location as we move them!
If it is the switch, there may be a way to test that if you can get the switch out of the wall or mounting.
There should be labels on the wires like this:

Name:	wire ID.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	30.2 KB
ID:	186053

If you can get that lable, you can use this chart to "decode" what the different wires do by using this list:
https://www.winnebago.com/Files/File...ical_guide.pdf

The list will give things like this wire comes "from" and goes "to" and if we connect the wire from the power to the wire going to the motors, that is what the switch does!

If you locate a wire from the fuses to the switch and then the one going to the motors, you can find if the switch is bad by touching a wire between those two wires on the switch.
Careful! If using a really small wire, it may heat up pretty quick, so wearing gloves or using a tool to hold the wire can be a good idea.
You don't need to hold it there long, just enough to tell you the slide moves when you bypass the switch!
Old 05-21-2023, 04:12 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Slide problem 2015 BraveRetro

Found no way to jumper the switch. Time to call “the man” tomorrow. Thanks for the advise.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_5789.jpg
Size:	337.2 KB
ID:	186058  
Old 05-21-2023, 06:11 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

One last thought before you punt? Are those contacts realy that dark and corroded looking or is it the lighting?
Another easier thing to try might be to push the switch in/out several times as a way to clean any corrosion off the switch and plug. Then when the switch is in, maybe try pressing the switch in dfferent ways to look for some place where pressure in a slightly different direction might make contact better.
What "might" happen is the switch gets a corroded spot where two pieces of metal make contact but a tiny clean section a tiny bit more or less may still be clean and make contact.
Old 05-21-2023, 07:02 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper

Good thought,thanks. I managed to mangle the switch while taking it out. Not any extra wire. Lighting was poor,flash did not go off. Going to order 2 switches tomorrow when I can be assured of the right one. Thanks again!
Old 05-21-2023, 07:07 PM   #11
Winnebago Master

Any chance there is a brand and model number on the old switch? Carling is one brand that I often find on RV. Having a brand and model number opens up lots more places to find the exact same item.
Old 05-21-2023, 09:19 PM   #12
Winnebago Camper

Got it! Trying to find the same number of prongs (5) and some clarity of each wire. Thanks again and will let you know what I find. Be well.
Old 06-07-2023, 02:47 PM   #13
Winnebago Camper

2015 Brave Retro slide out

Finally replaced driver’s side slide out motor and all works fine. A thank you Ryan McClure of Top Tech Marysville,Wa. Excellent service and pleasant young man!https://www.winnieowners.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=186257&stc=1&d=1686170 584
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_5800.jpg
Size:	255.1 KB
ID:	186257  

Tags
winnebago, slide, brave