Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class A Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 03-26-2023, 06:40 AM   #1
Outer Banks of NC

OBD port plug in's for our RVs.

Ran by camping world yesterday picked up couple of things, always looking found a diesel information plug in so you can monitor all the functions of our motor and transmission at camping world. .
I have one on my Dodge 3500 diesel . Edge insight 2. Its plugs into your ODB port displays all your motor and transmission information on that screen. Including the most important transmission temp. Years ago we had pod gauges on our cars and truck with moroso gauges in them. I had as many as 5 gages looking at me and a shift light.
With times changing its gone to digitial but was wondering if any of you use these in your motorhomes especially gas motorhomes. ? If you do post a picture let others know which one it is, and what functions it displays.
Picture of that edge insight 2 I have in the dodge below.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	328994444_1384598138965041_630967196087342050_n.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	231.6 KB
ID:	185470  
Old 03-26-2023, 07:37 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

Mine is diesel but I have used Torque Pro (first pic) with an Elm327 Bluetooth adapter on an Android tablet/phone for years on all my vehicles and just recently picked up the new Scangauge III (second pic) for the motorhome (diesel as well) but both of these products work fine on gas rigs too.
The new Scangauge III is wonderful and I suspect it will replace my Torque Pro setup altogether. The TP is cheap, almost free if you already have an Android device but the SG is more user friendly, has more capabilities and is completely self starting once you have it all set up, just start the engine and go. The TP needs to be reset after each stop and can sometimes be finicky, and relies on a Bluetooth connection while SG uses a hard cable connection. The TP has served me very well over the years, has a nicer look than SG and is more customizable and I will continue using it in my other vehicles but for the MH it will be SGIII as I like some of the capabilities like regen and DEF monitoring that I can't do with TP on the Sprinter chassis. Also not having to fiddle with it each time we go somewhere is great, it's always ready to go and if parking somewhere it's easy to unplug and carry with us, or hide.
The Sprinter has a cup holder in the dash pocket which makes a great mounting spot, right in your face but at the same time not obstructing your view out the windshield. I even put the speed and RPM up there so I don't have to take my eyes off the road and look down under the steering wheel when negotiating curvy mountain roads at speed.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	TPsprinter1.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	292.0 KB
ID:	185471   Click image for larger version

Name:	SGIII.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	286.3 KB
ID:	185472  

Old 03-26-2023, 07:58 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

I forgot to mention that both of the above can read and clear codes but TP has a library database for looking them up and can also provide the freeze frame data, I don't believe SG does which is a good reason to have both.
Also I forgot to mention for Ford only, the Forscan Lite app which is the preferred app for Ford. Again it's free or almost free if you have the device. Forscan is more capable than TP on Ford and can even perform certain test functions on Fords. I use it on the same tablet for my Powerstroke.
Old 03-26-2023, 09:00 AM   #4
Outer Banks of NC

Love it Brian and great info. You covered it all. My edge is crank and go resets itsef the one thing I want is that transmission temp. Working so fast on the motor home and other project I'm not thinking installed Moroso gauges then drove my picking and it hit me. What about a scan monitor gauge.
Looked at the scan gauge 3 there a tone of them scan gauge 2 on e bay I have a Apple tablet 10 inch I use in the can am with trails on it so will go bluetooth with something. I'll look at the Forscan Lite app tonight see about ordering it.
You answered everything and I thank you.

For those of you that are learning these systems we are using they can catch issue's going on with your motor and transmission long before they brake. Oil temps heating up, transmission temps is what I want all this for, along with sensors going bad or resetting themselfs . Being able to read scan codes and know whats wrong is a huge plus and resetting them could mean the difference in being on the side of the road and riding lease till you get to a shop.
Its not mind boggling , its really a very simple concept once you understand it.
Its a tool that gives you all the information right on a small screen you need to know about your RV that you will not see with the dash instruments. Simple as that. Best part they are now plug and play like Brian mentioned.
Drive safe.
Old 03-26-2023, 09:49 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

I just saw this yesterday over at the Sprinter forum: "If you're not a previous owner, you can order the SG3 from Autozone and use Autozone's 20% off orders over $120 and ship to home (Code is currently MARCH2023). Knocks the price down to $215.99."
Old 03-26-2023, 02:09 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

For your ELM 327 adapter there are many inexpensive ones however I chose to go with this one: https://www.amazon.com/OBDLink-Bluet.../dp/B07JFRFJG6 Yes it is expensive but it has US support and I've never had trouble with mine, I have two. When I bought them though they were only $70.
It comes with software but you can use the Forscan or whatever else you prefer instead
Old 03-26-2023, 02:34 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

Update on the Auto Zone discount:

SPRINGOFFER
Should be good until 4/1
Old 03-26-2023, 07:03 PM   #8
Outer Banks of NC

Toggle through yours see if it offers transmission temps. SG3. I read several things to me its not showing trans temp.
New Edge Insight 3 does. AT a cool 434 dollars.
Old 03-26-2023, 07:07 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by liveaboard74 View Post
Toggle through yours see if it offers transmission temps. SG3. I read several things to me its not showing trans temp.
New Edge Insight 3 does. AT a cool 434 dollars.
My SG3 definitely shows transmission temperature. On a Sprinter the ECM only outputs transmission temperature when it is in a gear, in park or neutral it reverts to coolant temperature.
Now if your ECM does not read transmission temperature then no monitor will display it either and you will need to go with a mechanical gauge.
With TP & Forscan both I am able to read trans temp on my Superduty but not on my Sprinter which is a big reason I wanted SG3
Old 03-27-2023, 02:32 AM   #10
Outer Banks of NC

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigb View Post
My SG3 definitely shows transmission temperature. On a Sprinter the ECM only outputs transmission temperature when it is in a gear, in park or neutral it reverts to coolant temperature.
Now if your ECM does not read transmission temperature then no monitor will display it either and you will need to go with a mechanical gauge.
With TP & Forscan both I am able to read trans temp on my Superduty but not on my Sprinter which is a big reason I wanted SG3
Thanks. Most show will read from 1998 to present what I'm seeing. . Minds a 2000.
I have the moroso 2 5/8 ready to install gauges mounted but would love to have a SG or edge there.
Thanks for all the info. Its that choice time.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	337041602_778557866946189_4054795590547326180_n.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	337.5 KB
ID:	185479  
Old 03-27-2023, 08:24 AM   #11
Winnebago Master

I never wanted a Scangauge II due to the tiny gray screen and only showing 4 things but when the SGIII came out with it's large touch screen display it was a game changer. 3 screens with 9 things on each one, customizable color scheme and brightness adjustable with the swipe of two fingers, swipe for different screens etc. I think you'll love it plus it is easily transferrable between different vehicles.
Old 03-27-2023, 08:01 PM   #12
Outer Banks of NC

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigb View Post
I never wanted a Scangauge II due to the tiny gray screen and only showing 4 things but when the SGIII came out with it's large touch screen display it was a game changer. 3 screens with 9 things on each one, customizable color scheme and brightness adjustable with the swipe of two fingers, swipe for different screens etc. I think you'll love it plus it is easily transferrable between different vehicles.
Ordered. Thanks for the premotion update. It worked. Loved the insight but at 430 dollars ver 235 delivered had to take the smart move. :thumb
And thanks for all the info. You been awesome.
Old 04-04-2023, 06:20 PM   #13
Outer Banks of NC

Updating. Transmission temp was the major thing I wanted its working perfect with the scan gauge although my oil pressure is 2. LOL Its not working for some reason throught the scan gauge I"d be hearing rods knocking at that PSI but it worked perfect in the Beach Tahoe Sunday hitting the Outer Banks . Like someone else mentioned my real water temp is running at 201 to 204 showing 210 on the idiot gauges. AKA dash gauges.
Tahoe is kinda new to us its a 08 been working on it lifting it adding beach lights more than driving it, idiot gauge showing 15 to 16 on the MPG actual MPG 20.5 but I locked the cruise at 57 and cruised the 250 miles we traveled sunday.
Its also showing a lean condition I have to get looked at or change the octain rating which I'll try first cause the advance retard on the scan gauge was not showing it had to retard the timing dew to it throwing a code so thinking 89 instead of 87 might do the trick. .
Thats the kinda knowledge you can get off the scan gauge.
Thanks again for the help. I"m up and running .
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	339572931_773697451022188_4505905639699321732_n.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	314.3 KB
ID:	185545  
Old 04-04-2023, 06:48 PM   #14
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by liveaboard74 View Post
Updating. Transmission temp was the major thing I wanted its working perfect with the scan gauge although my oil pressure is 2. LOL Its not working for some reason throught the scan gauge I"d be hearing rods knocking at that PSI but it worked perfect in the Beach Tahoe Sunday hitting the Outer Banks . Like someone else mentioned my real water temp is running at 201 to 204 showing 210 on the idiot gauges. AKA dash gauges.
Tahoe is kinda new to us its a 08 been working on it lifting it adding beach lights more than driving it, idiot gauge showing 15 to 16 on the MPG actual MPG 20.5 but I locked the cruise at 57 and cruised the 250 miles we traveled sunday.
Its also showing a lean condition I have to get looked at or change the octain rating which I'll try first cause the advance retard on the scan gauge was not showing it had to retard the timing dew to it throwing a code so thinking 89 instead of 87 might do the trick. .
Thats the kinda knowledge you can get off the scan gauge.
Thanks again for the help. I"m up and running .
Your ECU most likely doesn't read oil pressure and that's why you're getting the weird 2 PSI reading. Not too many ECUs read oil pressure that I know of, but many will read oil temperature.
If you have a lean code look for a vacuum leak, is it on one bank or both?
That's a real nice looking Tahoe, can't wait to get on the beach myself in 2 weeks.