Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class A Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 06-02-2015, 04:48 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Looking for Advice on possible 2006 Sightseer Purchase

Hi everyone, We started looking at RVs about a month ago. Still not sure if we're ready to make the jump, but we have looked at and driven a clean, 2006 Sightseer with about 38,000 mi. Questions:
1) Is the single rooftop AC sufficient for this size rig? (Model 30B, 30' 10") We probably won't do a ton of super hot weather use, but there will be some.
2) ANY specific areas/issues/problem areas I should look at if we want to make an offer?
3) It is a clean unit that doesn't show much wear. He's asking $42,500 . . . I'm thinking of offering $36,000 . . . I know ever situation is different but any input is appreciated!
MikeD1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 06:00 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

What frame does it have how old is the tires. Mine is a 33 footer and when it gets hot in Texas you need 2 or use a good fan to move the air. The sightseer I have taught me a lot on what to look for and so has this forum. Does it have a steering stabilizer on the steering. A real must to have. If I can help let me know and I can tell you all.

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - RV Forum
Old 06-02-2015, 07:06 PM   #3
Winnebago Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johndale View Post
What frame does it have how old is the tires. Mine is a 33 footer and when it gets hot in Texas you need 2 or use a good fan to move the air. The sightseer I have taught me a lot on what to look for and so has this forum. Does it have a steering stabilizer on the steering. A real must to have. If I can help let me know and I can tell you all.

It's the Ford V10 setup, Chassis A. As far as I know, it is completely "stock" without any mods such as steering stabilizer.It tracked straight and seemed pretty okay with side wind and trucks passing when I drove it. Front tires are a year old, rears are 5 years old, always covered. I would probably replace them before any really long trip . . . I appreciate any info!
Old 06-02-2015, 07:58 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Do the (chf) cheap handling fix you will love it. Look at the front windshield for water leaks it will show little rust spots on dash. I had mine tore all apart to fix it and found were the water was coming from. Turn out to be a easy fix. Check the sway bar bushings front and rear mine were shot.

Old 06-03-2015, 06:44 AM   #5
Winnebago Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johndale View Post
Do the (chf) cheap handling fix you will love it. Look at the front windshield for water leaks it will show little rust spots on dash. I had mine tore all apart to fix it and found were the water was coming from. Turn out to be a easy fix. Check the sway bar bushings front and rear mine were shot.

Thanks for the info Johndale! Will make sure to look for any signs of leaks when we check it out again. Will also consider the chf, bushings etc.
Old 06-03-2015, 06:22 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

I also did the 5 star tuning on the transmission and what a difference it makes. Now my DW loves to drive the beast. No more white knuckles.

Old 06-03-2015, 07:36 PM   #7
Winnebago Watcher

I have a 2004 Sightseer 30b and I really like. It handles well, has plenty of room and gets in and out of places the "big boys" can't.

Windshield leaks can be a major issue. The windshields are attached directly to the window frame. Rust gets between the frame and the glass. The rust expands and causes a leak. More rust happens and the windshield cracks. A very expensive proposition.

The rear tires are getting near their useful life. Another expensive item.

Look at the NADA price first and negotiate down from there. After 10 years old, banks don't like to make loans. Depreciation accelerates.

Have it checked out by a mechanic you trust

We love our Sightseer but buying a used MH can be a slippery slope. Drive the price down as low as is within reason.
Old 06-04-2015, 03:48 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

My 1st motorhome was a 2006 sightseer 30b. I bought ut used in 2007 for $39000. It was a rental with 42000 miles on it. I absolutely loved it. I did have the windshield leak and it did damage the frame with rust. That was fixed relatively inexpensively. Other than that it was a great purchase. Only got a different one because with 4 kids we needed a larger one. I would offer low and work up from there. Good luck
motohomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 09:52 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

We love our Sightseer 29R.

I am in the process of trading in our 2005 Sightseer 29R. One AC unit is OK here in Washington State. When we traveled I10 in the summer we needed to run our generator so that we could run roof air to keep cool.

As others have said, the steel supporting the windshield can rest. My driver's side glass was cracked from a rock. When the glass was replaced they sanded to remove the rust and then the put rust preventive on the steel before they installed the new glass. I had a leak on the driver's side when we traveled in hard rain. The leak ended when they replaced the glass. I removed the rubber seal and used exterior silicone sealer. No leaks on either side.

My Sightseer drove pretty well. It could be tough in a side wind but I could drive in 45 mph side winds holding on with both hands. Then about two years ago we put on new tires. Our coach became uncontrollable. I put on Safe-T-Steer, a Trac Bar and Rear Stabilizer. These add ons helped but I found out later that my new tires needed time to age, the were four months old, and more importantly, driven enough to remove the crown. For me that was from Seattle to Tucson.

And as I always do I waxed our Sightseer, top and sides, installed a new faucet in the galley, a towel rack in the bathroom, and removed all rust around the storage bays and repainted with rust resistant paint, before we dedecided to trade it in for a new 2016 Sightseer 33C.

Safe travels. JD
Yellowboat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
advice, purchase, sightseer