Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class A Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 03-27-2011, 07:58 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Journey 40L wind leak noise brand new

Just bought a a left over 2010 journey 40L new 1000 miles on it . Did a short shake down cruise and notice a whistle noise at 65 mph appears to be in the windshield area, I noticed on the outside of the glass the left and right sides of the glass have what I refer to as finished moldings that hide the glass gasket, they look like to me they would act like scoops ? I'm not referring to wind rush, has anyone else had experience with driving this model to let me know their thoughts on this

Once again thank you in advance...
tonyg01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 08:45 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

We just got back from our shake down cruise with our Journey 40L and noticed the same whistle... At the time we weren't sure the door was fully closed, but I did think that maybe it was coming from the windshield area.
Old 03-27-2011, 08:55 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

wind leak noise

A good way to find out where the noise is coming from is to tape off different areas one at a time to block off the wind with green painters tape (inexpensive) on the outside -(windshield molding, side trim molding etc. ) - do not use masking tape as it leaves a mess ) ) and when the noise dissappears you will know where it's coming from- do this all the time before a warranty claim - then when you take it back to the dealer for warranty you already know where the problem is before they diagnose it.
RV Mech Tech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 02:15 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

We've got about 11,000 miles on our 40L and haven't noticed any wind noise.
Cousin Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 07:52 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Thank you for the tape tip, I suspect its around the glass area. It appears around 65 mph and up. Really Loud , its appears some have, and some have not exp the noise. I guess it going to require a little detective work on my part, I dont want to bring it back to the dealer and get a " No problem Found" or "Normal Characteristic"

This is truley a whislte and not wind rush, once again thank you for all who responded..
Old 03-29-2011, 11:12 AM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Tonyg01
I have been chasing a loud whistle for about 5 months, using the painter's tape approach. When the wind hits the coach from left front or right front I get the noise. I've read every post everywhere to get new leads. But just this last week we had an ice storm that left about a half inch of ice on the roof which I left there when traveling...an there was no whistle this time. I have been looking all around the windshield, door, side front window, lights, under the front by the genny---no luck. Now I firmly believe it is coming from the satellite installation which is right over the drivers head area. Even though the sounds seems to come from the windshield area, it appears to be very deceiving. The sat dome sits about a half inch above the roof and the legs holding it up are about a quarter inch off the roof - perfect for a wind whistle. I plan to confirm this as soon as I can get on the roof with some tape and foam. Hope this helps---it is just another place to look, as the sound can be coming from ANYWHERE.
--John
JFBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 06:36 AM   #7
Winnebago Camper

John
thank you for the feedback, after doing some research I think I've found a solution that may help both of us along with other's whom may have a similar issues. Since Im going to give some advice , let me give my back ground , I'm a 28+ year Master Certified Automotive, and Med Duty tuck tech, who currently manages a 48+ bay shop with a Parts and Body Shop operation attached , and I'm in it every day .

I posted the question about my journey becasue in my business, especially on new vehicles thiers never just one, and my Journey was brand new. With that said, the tape solution offered is a great idea, and was the old way of finding wind noises on vehicles, it was however very time consuming from the techs stand point, taping sections, road testing, then stop on the road, adding or removing tape until you affected the noise. On a Motor Home it would be very difficult to Climb up on the Glass etc on the side of the road to start adding/ or removing tape..

So, what we do now is we pressurize the vehicles passenger interior compartment with a blower creating a postive pressure inside the vehicle, this pressure tries to escape from the vehicle wherever it can, we use a liquid soap solution around all the suspect areas, windshield, door seals,mirrors, and any suspected openning. When the soap hits a leak it bubbles, like a bubble machine!, indicating the source of your wind or water leak. I like to use a solution that grainger sales called "Cal-Blue" it works well and really bubbles like crazy, the LP gas techs use it to test thier LP gas line connections they make..

So with all that said, the device I have is to small for my motor home, so I started asking the tool vendors if they have heard of a larger device to pressurize a large area, without me making one, and I finally got and answer yesterday. Thier is a company that spacifically makes one for motor homes and RV vehicles, to locate hard to find wind and water leaks. I included a link to thier site, they have a video on thier site that shows how the tool works, and best of all they have a directory of RV dealers whom have purchase the device , and my Dealer is on the list and I have and appointment with them to set it up and test the windshield area.

I hope this helps someone else fighting a wind or water leak issue...

Heres the link Sealtech Manufacturing Inc. - RV leaks bubbles recreational vehicles
Old 03-30-2011, 06:50 AM   #8
Winnebago Watcher

Let me start this with, I have only test drove the RV we purchased and won't pick it up until May. That being said, during our test drive i heard the same thing. The sales person and i were baffled as it was a 2010 model. This went on for the first ten minutes of the test drive until we finally figured out the problem. This coach has a rear camera with a microphone in the back so you can hear your partner in crime giving you directions (still don't know if thats a good idea yet, but i digress). Anyway, the microphone was on and the wind noise we heard was from the microphone being in the ON not the OFF position.
Slothsaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 12:02 AM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyg01
John
thank you for the feedback, after doing some research I think I've found a solution that may help both of us along with other's whom may have a similar issues. Since Im going to give some advice , let me give my back ground , I'm a 28+ year Master Certified Automotive, and Med Duty tuck tech, who currently manages a 48+ bay shop with a Parts and Body Shop operation attached , and I'm in it every day .

I posted the question about my journey becasue in my business, especially on new vehicles thiers never just one, and my Journey was brand new. With that said, the tape solution offered is a great idea, and was the old way of finding wind noises on vehicles, it was however very time consuming from the techs stand point, taping sections, road testing, then stop on the road, adding or removing tape until you affected the noise. On a Motor Home it would be very difficult to Climb up on the Glass etc on the side of the road to start adding/ or removing tape..

So, what we do now is we pressurize the vehicles passenger interior compartment with a blower creating a postive pressure inside the vehicle, this pressure tries to escape from the vehicle wherever it can, we use a liquid soap solution around all the suspect areas, windshield, door seals,mirrors, and any suspected openning. When the soap hits a leak it bubbles, like a bubble machine!, indicating the source of your wind or water leak. I like to use a solution that grainger sales called "Cal-Blue" it works well and really bubbles like crazy, the LP gas techs use it to test thier LP gas line connections they make..

So with all that said, the device I have is to small for my motor home, so I started asking the tool vendors if they have heard of a larger device to pressurize a large area, without me making one, and I finally got and answer yesterday. Thier is a company that spacifically makes one for motor homes and RV vehicles, to locate hard to find wind and water leaks. I included a link to thier site, they have a video on thier site that shows how the tool works, and best of all they have a directory of RV dealers whom have purchase the device , and my Dealer is on the list and I have and appointment with them to set it up and test the windshield area.

I hope this helps someone else fighting a wind or water leak issue...

Heres the link Sealtech Manufacturing Inc. - RV leaks bubbles recreational vehicles
Thanks! This was a great post. Our new 33C is at the dealer this week. One of the warranty repairs is a water leak. When they told me they had pressurized our MH to isolate the leak, I could not imagine how they could accomplish that but video on the Sealtech website explains the technique. I hope it's the last time they need to use the Sealtech on our MH.

jim
AlwaysDusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 01:25 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper

Wind noise

The Sealtech 430 R is an excelent machine and method to find leaks that enter the coach body ( we use it all the time and it really saves a lot of work trying to find those places where water gets in especially when a leak is not visable ) but for a wind noise that is not an actual leak into the coach the tape method will work - as stated in the above posts it may be a molding or could be one of the accessories mounted on the roof- taping is a time consuming method but not expensive.
RV Mech Tech is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
wind noise