Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class A Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 01-13-2024, 11:40 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Hot Tip... Put a spare key outside!

I cranked my Meridian this morning and stepped out to disconnect the shore power while the airbags filled up, the wind blew the door shut and it self-locked... ALL the keys were inside.

I was able to slip the lock on the driver's window, reach in, and push the door lock switch.

When we first looked at the coach at the dealer's there was a key under the front hood hanging on the air valve. They apparently took it off and put it with the collection. There is now a spare key in my shop AND in a magnetic box hidden in the generator compartment.

Aaron
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2024, 12:25 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

I keep one window unlocked, JIC the electric lock fails again. When it fails in the closed position, a key will not work.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2024, 01:22 PM   #3
Just Trying to Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
I keep one window unlocked, JIC the electric lock fails again. When it fails in the closed position, a key will not work.
Yup. My coach's mechanical door lock failed (internally), such that I could not open the door. All the windows were closed and locked. After that, I always left at least one window (large enough to climb through) unlocked.
l1v3fr33ord1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2024, 01:45 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by l1v3fr33ord1 View Post
Yup. My coach's mechanical door lock failed (internally), such that I could not open the door. All the windows were closed and locked. After that, I always left at least one window (large enough to climb through) unlocked.
There is a way to drill into the lock behind the handle to get to the linkage. I only have one window that locks on my unit, the driver's window and it isn't large enough for me to get through. The rest are crank open and even smaller. And I won't fit through a 14" vent opening either. I recall seeing that done at a campground one time, I don't recall the why at the time, but they had to take a vent off and stuff a kid through the 14"x14" opening to open the door.

Aaron
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2024, 02:22 PM   #5
Winnie-Wise

We locked ourselves out on Labor Day weekend. We found a small kid in the campground that could fit through the small window in the bed slide that was open. I have now put a set of keys in a lockbox where the propane tank is.
Old 01-17-2024, 04:58 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

My main door locked one time when I closed the door firmly. The main door has two locks one has a red cover on the inside mechanism and the other is a dead bolt type. The red knob rod is what fell down, locking the main door. My 35' Itasca Sunrise has a driver's door as an alternate to the main door so I now always carry a set of keys on the outside in a lock box. They have come in very handy over the last 17 years!
Old 01-17-2024, 05:29 PM   #7
Adventurer 30T

For years we always carry a spare set of MH keys in the dingy. Having third set of keys made is cheap insurance
Pjkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2024, 07:58 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Yup we keep a spare set of keys all the time in our toad. We had the door lock when shutting it one nite when walking our dog. Luckily, though she was asleep my DW was still inside since then the set of keys in the toad and as backup when in the old magnetic case of yesteryear. I keep meaning to leave a window cracked as I had to help a guy get into his that way one year but I'm not in the habit of doing that but I have to as mentioned the linkage breaks your keys won't help then but if you get inside you can take it apart. Had that happen on our old winnebago years ago. But we were inside so that was easy.
1237dmctlc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2024, 08:10 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

I might be said I'm a bit paranoid about being locked out of our RV. Our main keyset stays in the cockpit unless we leave the rig, then it goes in my pocket. When we're away from home on a trip I keep a 2nd set clipped on my belt. It's particularly useful when I'm outside the rig and need to access a locked compartment while the main set is in the ignition. In fact, even when we're home, I generally leave that 2nd set clipped on my belt in case I get a wild hare and need to get into the rig or a compartment. And there is a 3rd set in a magnetic box kept in a "secret" location outside the rig "just in case".

So, yes, I could be accused of overdoing it, but I'm pretty much assured of never being locked out.
Old 01-17-2024, 08:18 PM   #10
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by akeagle View Post
I might be said I'm a bit paranoid about being locked out of our RV. Our main keyset stays in the cockpit unless we leave the rig, then it goes in my pocket. When we're away from home on a trip I keep a 2nd set clipped on my belt. It's particularly useful when I'm outside the rig and need to access a locked compartment while the main set is in the ignition. In fact, even when we're home, I generally leave that 2nd set clipped on my belt in case I get a wild hare and need to get into the rig or a compartment. And there is a 3rd set in a magnetic box kept in a "secret" location outside the rig "just in case".

So, yes, I could be accused of overdoing it, but I'm pretty much assured of never being locked out.
Never say never; fate is fickle, especially if you have a keyless entry system.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2024, 08:42 AM   #11
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pjkid View Post
For years we always carry a spare set of MH keys in the dingy. Having third set of keys made is cheap insurance
I do the same, but always worry that my car keys might also be locked in the RV.

While I have thought about keeping a spare RV door key hidden somewhere I also know that potential thieves are smart enough to check for a hidden key in all of the external cabinets that are not locked. There are only two of those, the propane and the water, and there is no good place to hide a key there.
AJMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2024, 08:59 AM   #12
Winnebago Owner

Yeah we had a similar experience and now have a spare key hidden. I am risking the chance a thief finds it vs. getting locked out and screwed. I evaluated electronic locks but they were very pricey for the lock we have on our Minnie.
Mashmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2024, 09:15 PM   #13
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
There are only two of those, the propane and the water, and there is no good place to hide a key there.

I screwed a lockbox to the inside of the propane door and keep a set of door keys in it. I also keep an ignition key hidden inside the RV. Being locked out is a bigger concern for me than someone getting the door keys, if that happens it becomes State Farm's problem.
Old 01-18-2024, 10:15 PM   #14
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJMike View Post
[...]There are only two of those, the propane and the water, and there is no good place to hide a key there.
Realtor's lock/lock box! Big enough to put keys in and the shackle will fit around a solid propane pipe. I did that with my last RV.

This RV I keep a spare set in the TOAD. TOAD has keyless entry/push button entry on the door. I don't worry about loking the keys in the car.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2024, 07:09 AM   #15
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne M View Post
Realtor's lock/lock box! Big enough to put keys in and the shackle will fit around a solid propane pipe. I did that with my last RV.

This RV I keep a spare set in the TOAD. TOAD has keyless entry/push button entry on the door. I don't worry about loking the keys in the car.
Unless your TOAD battery dies for some reason :(
BirchyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2024, 03:44 PM   #16
Winnebago Owner

We bought one of these and mounted it in a nice out of the way space.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

We are also lucky as our Adventurer has a drivers door.
spierce617 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2024, 09:54 PM   #17
Winnebago Master

We always have one window unlocked, also a magnetic key box located in the propane tank compartment. Have not had to use either yet, Knock On Wood.
Old 01-20-2024, 11:55 AM   #18
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by BirchyBoy View Post
Unless your TOAD battery dies for some reason :(
Then I pull the key out of the FOB and use it. Now hopefully my keys are not in the TOAD, but if they are I can get the other set from DW.

Funny you should mention that. On my previous 2013 the battery was notoriously dead when we stopped but the door access code always worked. Must not have been totally dead?

The newer 2020 I don't lock the doors when towing.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2024, 08:54 PM   #19
Proud “No Intent” Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by akeagle View Post

I always have a key on a carabiner clipped to my pants loop. Same reason as you, handy when locking outside storage compartments.

I never leave a window unlocked. Seems to defeat the purpose of locking things in the first place…
Old 01-24-2024, 02:13 PM   #20
Winnebago Master

Under the drop down hood on my Journey would be a great place too. Hmm.

Now I just leave the small side window next to the door unlocked 24/7, 365 so I can reach in and unlock the door but obviously, that's not the greatest method.

Thanks for posting! Given me a better idea than what I'm doing.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote