Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class A Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 10-12-2020, 09:22 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Forza fuel tank REAL size?

Hi. I have a 2019 Forza 38W. The specs say that the fuel tank is 90 gallons. Yesterday I was driving and after about 530 miles the “distance to empty” got down to 50 mi then it went to a low fuel warning that took over the whole display. The gauge needle showed about an eighth. I figured I had a good margin of fuel left and was averaging slightly over 8 mpg (due to towing a Chevy suburban), but my wife started getting nervous so we filled up. But the coach only took 62.927 gallons. I had 27 gallons left???? Over 200 more miles??? Really strange. Do you think there’s an issue with the fuel gauge and computer? Anyone heard of this happening?
MattyA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2020, 09:51 AM   #2
Winnebago Camper

I have seen forums where they say the DTE and fuel gauge is not accurate. I normally fill up and reset the trip odometer and monitor how much fuel I have used on a trip. It's seem fairly accurate when i refill. I normally don't use more than 45-50 gallons before I stop and fill up again. That is about a 5 1/2 trip. Time for a break!
Old 10-28-2020, 12:19 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

i have the same issue on my 2019 forza 34t. I learned that if i scroll through the display to the correct page, i can see how many gallons remain in the tank. this number appears accurate when i fill up I too have about 200 miles remaining when the low fuel light comes on. I am afraid to let freighliner reprogam the display because i do not know what issues may happen thereafter.
hansel49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2020, 12:53 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

We often run into a difference in how long estimated versus what we are actually getting on different trips. I'm not sure if the estimated is on a set standard expected for the engine and other factors or if is tries to calculate based on what we have averaged before but we do know if varies from trip to trip. Running from Central Texas, South, we get a different answer for the flat ground. When we run NW to the mountains, we get different response than coming back SE and I assume it is very much dependant on elevation changes. But I also would expect the estimated to be off in different ways, depending on all the factors that go into mileage, like speed, up or downhill and how many stop/starts we do.
My small Focus does the same.
Morich is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2020, 01:06 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Yeah I drove with diagnostics page showing b/c I thought maybe it had the wrong size fuel tank programmed. But my experience is the same as yours. I also note the software version says 2017...don't know if that is the last update date or the date of the original software development. I'm heading to Forest City next week and will ask about this. I have no aversion to taking a software update...maybe naive, but I HOPE they would resolve more bugs in each update vs the number of new ones created!!

p.s. there are two other software bugs I'll be asking about next week:
1. if I customize the gauges display the rightmost one always resets upon restarting the engine
2. The Trip2 display resets miles to zero if the engine is turned off for much more than an overnight, but gallons do not (resulting in absurdly low MPG for trip 2)
Old 10-28-2020, 01:10 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Richard, re the estimates, on the Forza I can out-drive the estimated by a longshot. It will say 300 DTE and go down by 8 or to miles after I drive each 20-25 miles. Hence wy it's annoying that it says DTE 50 miles then removes all information to override with all sorts of low fuel alarms, when I know that not only do I have more than 50 miles DTE, it might be upwards of 250 miles!!!!! (but who's going to drive hours with all sorts of low fuel bells ringing!!!!!!! that would take a lot of guts!!!!!!!!!!!)
Old 10-28-2020, 02:22 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

A lot of new electronics are built on marketing and sales as much as anything and so a number for folks to look at is one thing that does give us that old "feel good" thing and we buy into the vehicle.
When I look at how often I get tired of working with a phone or computer when I know there are far better out there, even if my current one is only a few years old, I really wonder how it will work out when folks find their fine new screen that does so much and prompted them to buy the new car, actually gets to be what they feel is a "defect" rather than the great thing they bought!
On our most recent trip, we bought gas at 18 cents higher because the wife was too excited about the "low fuel warning" and threw a fit at the idea of driving four miles down to the interstate but had to have gas at the first station outside the state park! My thinking was that if the light was not on when we pulled in, I probably had enough to go a few more miles but the light overruled me!
Once I officially retired, I became an idiot!
Morich is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2020, 09:44 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Funny thing with my Forza 38W after a 3 week trip throughout Ga. TN, AL, and back to Florida. I was tracking everything on the TRIP 1 for total trip but TRIP 2 I was resetting after every major stop over. I, also started tracking the mileage on my BlueFire APP through the adapter but oddly it stopped working within the first week. It's now heading back to be replaced. Anyway I keep showing I was getting anywhere from 8.7 to 9.4 MPG. even in the hills but the digital fuel gauge to always be lower than what I figured I had left. Finally when I got home i was about 1/4 tank left so I filled it very carefully only to stop @ 51.3Gals. That means the last 1/4 of the tank is ~39gals. That is just not right. That means that when the fuel gauge reads ~25% left I still have about ~43% left of fuel in my tank. I hope we hear from others because to me this just isn't right. I'll have to depend more on my BlueFire App to accurately gauge my fuel because someone can't program the software right for the digital dash.
1237dmctlc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2021, 05:12 PM   #9
Winnebago Watcher

Our 2018 Forza 34 T has a similar problem. Even with a full 90 gal fuel tank, the Distance to Empty gauge registers only 387 miles, even though we average 8 MPG. We had a Freightliner dealer investigate the problem, but so far have not been provided an explanation or solution. Is this a common problem with Forzas or Freightliner chassis? Has anyone been provided a "Fix"?
ForzaAg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2021, 05:27 PM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Sadly this doesn't seem to be just with Forzas. I just bought a 2016 Tiffin Phaeton 44OH and it has a similar issue. I was told that you have to make sure the coach in the information display is set to Phaeton. I thought this was odd but when I checked it was set to other so I set it to Phaeton and the gauge adjusted to a more reasonable amount of fuel remaining. Before that it said I had only a tick above a quarter of a tank which means I would've burned through almost 3/4s of a tank going 300 miles and some idling. As for a fix never found one for the Forza so gave up since it always off so estimated my mileage based on my bluefire information and miles I averaged on a full tank and the tripometer
1237dmctlc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2022, 10:58 AM   #11
Winnebago Owner

Call me crazy BUT I never let the tank get close to empty, to keep options open for changing route or due to weather, fires etc, being stuck somewhere.
Having more fuel than the gauge reads is way better than the reverse

Although it obviously would be best if gauges were totally accurate leaving no room for guesswork
Edbehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2022, 02:22 PM   #12
Winnebago Camper

Another discussion here. 4.3MPG hard-coded into the calculation maybe? https://www.irv2.com/forums/f26/2020...es-465188.html
CoolBreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2022, 03:16 PM   #13
Site Team

Be aware, this is a long dead thread from Oct, 2020 that was brought back to life on 1-5-2022. Its not a new discussion. And, the original poster (the OP) hasn't returned to this website since November, 2020.

Tags
fuel, tank