Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class A Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 07-13-2023, 01:17 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Entrance/Exit Steps 2014 Winnebago Tour 42QD

My coach is a 2014 Winnebago Tour 42QD.
Today when i unlocked the entrance door and opened it, the steps came out as usual, but when I later closed the door to lock it, the steps would not retract. I turned the step switch on and off and the steps still failed to retract. What would normally cause such an anomaly? Is it a fuse or breaker, and if so, where is the one associated with the steps located. Any help will be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Big Red One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2023, 01:26 PM   #2
Winnie-Wise

Most likely and easiest to check is a failure of the switch that detects the door opening/closing. Not familiar with your specific model, but look at the hinge side of the main door for a couple of small steel/brass buttons, about the size of a pencil eraser. If there, try cleaning them with a bit of steel wool to ensure they are making a connection with the door closed.
emiddleb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2023, 06:38 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

If your steps are Kwikee brand, they open/close by a magnetic reed switch on the stepwell wall, the magnet that moves the switch is attached to the screen door bottom inside corner.
If either section comes loose and fails to come close to touching at the top of the reed switch it does not signal the step controller to start the motor.
One more thing to check, remove the 2 screws holding the reed switch to stepwell wall and gently pull out the wiring enough to make sure the connections are clean and tight.

Here is the complete Kwikee products service training manual, which will be a great aid.
If you need to replace the magnetic switch be sure to buy the same color switch. One color is N/O the other is N/C.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2023, 08:17 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

Mixed results on looking for info! Used to finding that, right?
First look was at parts drawings to spot where and what you have but that is down for maintenance, it appears!
So going to tthe electrical drawings, I get a picture that you may know about where to find it?
I spot the step power on the panel but can't tell you WHERE the panel??? Does this look like anything you have or does the note tell you enough to spot it?

Click this snip for better view!
Click image for larger version

Name:	14 tour.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	179.5 KB
ID:	186646
Morich is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
winnebago, steps