Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class A Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 12-18-2022, 03:36 PM   #1
Vectra called Ollie

Engine Heater 2004 Vectra

On the control panel there is a switch titled "engine heater". I am guessing it is for an electric block heater inside of the Cummins diesel. My question is when can this heater be used and does the coach have to be connected to 50 amp circuit to turn on?
Old 12-18-2022, 04:51 PM   #2
Winnie-Wise

The switch controls the engine block heater, which is powered by a cord that plugs into an outlet. Yours is a different floorplan than mine, but on mine it's in the top right of the power bay above my inverter. Yes, it needs 50 amp, either shore or gen.
emiddleb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2022, 09:24 AM   #3
Vectra called Ollie

Thanks. I thought that maybe the engine heater was already wired into the system since the switch was inside of the coach. Have not seen any power cord that is not already plugged in. I will go look again. Wonder if it is labeled to identify it?
Old 12-19-2022, 10:28 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

It is not labeled for location but this drawing shows the engine heater as a 110 Volt item which does work off the inverter and inverter panel.
https://www.winnebago.com/Files/File...ire_146569.pdf

Click this drawing to get a better view or go direct for the full piucture?

Click image for larger version

Name:	heater.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	118.9 KB
ID:	184824

Just as a guess, I would assume an engine block heater to be stuck into the engine? That also means there will be a 110 AC cord running from it to a receptacle, so cuts the chase a bunch?

I see it works off a 15 amp breaker, so that would seem to make it likely to be able to run it off the inverter if the batteries are up to doing their job. A single item using less than 15 amp would not seem to stress the system much more than a hair drier except for maybe a longer run?

Any chance of good info in the operators manual?
Morich is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2022, 10:34 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

CORRECTION!

A bit more looking on this drawing:
https://www.winnebago.com/Files/File...ire_146566.pdf

Sheet five top left shows this.

Click this drawing snip!

Name:	engine heat.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	47.8 KB
ID:	184825
Old 12-19-2022, 10:39 AM   #6
Winnie-Wise

Here's mine on an 04 Vectra 40KD... in the electrical bay.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Engine heater plug.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	211.9 KB
ID:	184826  
emiddleb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2022, 12:23 PM   #7
Vectra called Ollie

This is very good information, I had no idea. Once it warms back up I will go check inside the electrical bay. I am sure it is there and just never noticed, still learning..... most likely the engine heater is already plugged in!

Thanks emiddleb and morich you guys are great.
Old 12-24-2022, 07:54 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

Quote:
My question is when can this heater be used and does the coach have to be connected to 50 amp circuit to turn on?
I had the same question with both my diesel engines and read what I could find. The heater can be used whenever you think necessary and it's doubtful it would be harmed if it was on all year round (though I usually leave it off). Yes, 50 amp would be best, but mine will run if using a 30 amp outlet as well. (But check your own RVs specs).

Consensus with the diesel techs I talked to was that the engine block heaters are as reliable as the rest of the engine so they can left on all the time if you want. Normally, mine is off, but it's cold out right now. Very cold out.

I'm leaving mine on 24/7 now in these under 5*F to 19*F days/nights so I am able to start the engine easily in an emergency situation, should one arise. Like if power goes out for too long (likely use the generator too) or I must head south suddenly because I'm sick of the cold.

My heaters plug is in the electrical bay in this '02 Winnie. In my old '94, the heater switch was in the bedroom, on the side of the bed stand. Somewhat directly below was an electrical receptacle in a basement compartment where the heater plugged in.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2022, 08:47 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

I think of engine heaters as things that depend on weather and how you may need the engine to be sure to start quicker. Diesel are a different breed and love to be warm to fire, so they are more prone to heaters than gas.
But where I have used engine heaters, we looked at the whole scene to decide. We used the heaters where there were plugs on the parking meters, so that one could plug in while shopping to keep the engines from being stone cold when you came back. If it was going to be a bit warmer and not below freezing, we rarely used the heaters but when it got cold it did make the engine start much better and it was normal to have the engine heater on.
My rule of thumb was that if the weather was cold enough that the engine oil was hard to move when first cranking, the heater should be left on as it reduced wear on the engine not having oil that would circulate. The guys with diesel left them on more than the gas folks.
If you are not in an area where you can drive cement and lumber trucks on the lake, you may not be in really COLD country! If you are building a cabin on an island, you don't take things out there in a canoe if you can wait for later and drive it out.
Old 12-25-2022, 10:08 AM   #10
Vectra called Ollie

I like the idea of being able to keep the engine heater on during periods of below freezing temps. As already mentioned, you need to be ready to start up and move if something unexpected occurs.

Thanks again to everyone for such helpful information. We are really enjoying our Vectra. It is a fantastic design and I am learning new things everyday. Better than some of the newer units I have been in. Wish Winnebago had kept making them.
Old 12-25-2022, 04:57 PM   #11
Winnebago Camper

My 2003 Journey engine block heater only uses 7 amps when on.
Jim Simon is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
engine, heat, heater