Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class A Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 03-01-2023, 06:17 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

2016 Forza 34T Roof Issue Questions

Was on my Forza's roof today doing a roof inspection and wax and A/C cleaning / service . Noticed these ridges going across the roof . Looks to be sections of the form board coming loose from roof . Area near edge has a tear in roof covering . Will cover tear with tape and put leveling patch over it . Wants everyones take on this . Will roof need replacement / reroof /?
deckape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2023, 06:20 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Pics will not load ,says site is down ??
Old 03-01-2023, 07:49 PM   #3
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by deckape View Post
Pics will not load ,says site is down ??
There are no problems on this end. What are you trying to attach?

Also, can you be specific about the year and model Forza you have. You’ll notice most of us put that info in our Signature so that this shows in every post we make.
Old 03-02-2023, 12:18 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by deckape View Post
Was on my Forza's roof today doing a roof inspection and wax and A/C cleaning / service . Noticed these ridges going across the roof . Looks to be sections of the form board coming loose from roof . Area near edge has a tear in roof covering . Will cover tear with tape and put leveling patch over it . Wants everyones take on this . Will roof need replacement / reroof /?
I've found that the easiest way to load pics is to upload them to my Winnieowners album. Once they're loaded I copy the URL from the album and paste it to my post using the picture icon above the text box when writing a post.
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2023, 09:47 AM   #5
Site Team

Actually, attaching photos is very simple. Here's the steps you need to take to load photos from your computer into your posts:
How to add photos to a post

The photo should reside on your computer, tablet or phone. If you have a photo at Google or Dropbox or similar cloud location download it (Right click Save Photo As) to your computer, tablet or phone FIRST.

Here's how to post a photo inside an existing thread that you are replying to:

Click scroll down to bottom of a thread to the Quick Reply editor box.
  • At the bottom of the Quick Reply box, click "go advanced" and then scroll down.
  • Click "Manage attachments" A separate window will pop up.
  • Click "browse" Then select the file to be uploaded from your computer, tablet or phone's photo gallery. You may select several photos to upload at the same time by repeating the last step.
  • Click "Upload" After pics have loaded close the pop-up window
  • Click "submit reply" to mount the text of your message - photos will automatically appear at the bottom of your post.

IF you are starting a new thread then you can skip the whole "Go Advanced" instruction because when starting a new thread you are already in the Advanced Editor. So, in this case you just scroll down to the "Manage Attachments" button in the Advanced Editor.
Old 03-02-2023, 04:02 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Pics still will not load . Get message : site might be down or moved website ??? Anyway , with to Camping World to get supplies and talked to a tech in the isle at sealants . Showed him pics and said not to repair like I wanted . ( Tape and seal hole . ) Said my insurance might pay for repair ,come in for free roof check ,then you'll Know . So made appointment to get it documented . Got home and called Winnebago and talked to them . They will repair hole and check roof as we will be in the "AREA " late summer . Said to just duct tape it to seal from water getting in , and bring it there . The waves are what they call " Telegraphing " and they will check that too . Insurance won't pay ,so my dime .
Old 03-02-2023, 04:10 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Pics from phone
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	AB9AA053-6D86-4BD1-B9FA-A07DC902753C.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	113.9 KB
ID:	185304   Click image for larger version

Name:	4C00986B-609C-46F4-8137-D90CAFDFEA80.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	141.1 KB
ID:	185305  

Click image for larger version

Name:	C4175E28-A0E3-43AB-B69E-C51991EBFCA4.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	112.9 KB
ID:	185306   Click image for larger version

Name:	3893C9DD-D37F-4734-9239-581F57B0DD51.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	103.5 KB
ID:	185307  

Old 03-02-2023, 04:11 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

There we go .
Old 03-02-2023, 06:45 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

I suggest you use Gorilla Permanent All Weather tape as opposed to duct tape. This Gorilla tape is much more UV resistant. I have a piece on the side of my van that shows no sign of deterioration after at least two years outside. Most duct tapes will deteriorate in a very short time in the weather and sun.

Gorilla also makes a Gorilla Waterproof Patch and Seal Tape but that may be overkill.

It will be interesting to see what transpires with the "telegraphing". I've been a Winnieowners member since 2017 and this is the first time I've seen anything like it.

I'd also look for any signs of your roof sagging. This could mean more immediate problems.
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2023, 11:33 AM   #10
Site Team

One of the reasons WBGO sticks with it's tucked in, not screwed in, roof design is that when the body flexes the roof will show buckles if it's firmly affixed but not if it's floating with flexible sealant holding it in place.

Maybe in the OP's case the sealing job was done a bit too effectively??? Just guessing. I don't know. They say bubbles are OK.

I guess if it's "telegraphing" that could mean the Luan under the Filon roof material has come loose or wasn't glued down correctly.

It will be very interesting to hear how they proceed on this.
Old 03-03-2023, 01:43 PM   #11
Winnebago Owner

We will be in Forest City for repair in August . Hope I can get out of Iowa without a accident this year . Will update when there .
Old 03-08-2023, 05:13 PM   #12
Winnebago Watcher

I would also talk to WBO about warranty. WBO roofs are under warranty for ten years. Are you the original owner?
rstolley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2023, 07:06 PM   #13
Winnebago Owner

No second owner ,bought in 2018 .
Old 03-09-2023, 04:52 PM   #14
Winnebago Owner

You should check out AZ Expert on youtube. If you aren't aware of him, he is a very knowledgeable RV tech who replaces many Winnebago roofs. You'll get a great education on how Winnebago makes their roofs and some of the issues with them. Everything is repairable with $$ but I hope for your sake, Winnebago covers it.
Old 08-24-2023, 06:54 PM   #15
Winnebago Owner

Well a couple of more weeks and we will be at Winnebago . Have had a great summer doing the Lake Superior Circle tour . Have not had to run the air but for 3 days since April . Heat several times . Lots of 30 amp state , city parks as well as Federal parks . Most with no hookup other than power . We picked the right places to be this summer .
Old 08-25-2023, 01:21 PM   #16
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpspaz View Post
You should check out AZ Expert on youtube. If you aren't aware of him, he is a very knowledgeable RV tech who replaces many Winnebago roofs. You'll get a great education on how Winnebago makes their roofs and some of the issues with them. Everything is repairable with $$ but I hope for your sake, Winnebago covers it.
I don't care for his attitude and views about degrading Winnebago roof attainment method. He says it is very poor. He also says not to use Eternabond sealing tape as it to is poor.
We are not the ones to tell, we have no input in the way they run their companies. he should make his views known those mfgrs.
He made a video of how to install a new PC board in a basement A/C unit but goes so fast no-one can use it effectively as a model.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2023, 02:27 PM   #17
Winnebago Owner

Here at Winnebago and coach went in this morning . Got a call and said repair will be made to tear and everything else is ok and normal. They found that my sealing attempt of lip was not complete ,so that will be done again . Should be under a $ 1000.00 . Also had some trim that moved and service advisor told me what to do to correct it ,so I will attempt those repairs to save time and $$$. ( MAYBE Hope to be on the road by Friday .

Tags
roof