Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-28-2014, 08:37 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

2003 39' Journey

Can anyone tell me where the fuel filters are on this unit. I getting too darn old to crawl around there and follow those lines from front to back, and I need to change the filters after I locate them and find out what filters it takes.
Thanks
Dick D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 10:14 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

If you call or email Freightliner with your VIN they will tell you how many fuel filters you have.

I only have one ... you might have two
skigramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 08:44 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Skigramp is correct call Freightliner with the VIN. It depends on the engine and the build date some cats has two and others one filter.
bsamole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 01:08 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

I am sorry guys, I am asking where the filters are, not not how many there might be, although knowing how many it has is of interest.
Old 09-29-2014, 04:03 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

I have only one ... it is a 3 micron filter ... and has the separator bowl attached to it ... it is just in front of the rear grill ... and you have to be nimble and limber to replace it (so I have it done for me).

An acquaintance has a different year rig with a CAT engine ... his rig has two filters ... one by the rear grill ... and the other on the curb side of his engine ...

So I think you need to contact Freightliner to find out the number of filters, their specs, and their locations ..
skigramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 06:56 PM   #6
Winnie-Wise

My 2004 Journey 39K has only one filter and as skigramp says it is visable from the outside back of the RV looking through that grill to wards the radiator.
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 08:05 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick D View Post
Can anyone tell me where the fuel filters are on this unit. I getting too darn old to crawl around there and follow those lines from front to back, and I need to change the filters after I locate them and find out what filters it takes.
Thanks
If you have a 2003 39WD it's actually a Journey DL (see 2003 Journey DL Brochure). You have a 330HP Cat engine with a rear radiator. If you take a look at this thread Relocated Fuel Filter & Added Priming Pump you can see pictures that show the location of the secondary filter on the engine (if you have one) as well as the primary filter/water separator in the rear between the radiator and the grill (to the right in the photo).

2005 Winnebago Vectra 36RD
cbeierl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 10:59 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

Yep,
Ours is one year newer than the OPs Journey. It's an '04 Itasca Horizon 36 GD and is toating the C-7 330 HP CAT and, the Allison MH 3000 transmission. It too has only "ONE" fuel filter, very visible from the rear of the coach. But, the BUILD DATE is very important here. The bean counters at Freightliner went head to head with the CAT folks around that time and they won. The got the right to put only one filter for a shore while. Then, even in the same model year, they went back to two fuel filters.

And, as has been stated, if there's a secondary filter, it's on the passenger side of the engine, up high, and may or, may not have a hand priming knob right on top of the filter housing. But, you'll have to do one of two things to see if you have that filter or not. One, pull the bed apart and see for your self or, do as has been suggested and call Freightliner and see what they have to say. Just have the last 6 numbers of your Vin ready when you call.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 04:05 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Thanks

Thank all of you for the information. I only had the 1 filter located outside the radiator. Changing it was quite easy with a big pair of adjustable pliers to loosen it.

Tags
journey