Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-12-2005, 05:38 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Just recently I started hearing a buzz from the surround sound speakers only when the speaker selector switch is in the "TV" position. I locacted and isolated a cylindrical noise filter behind the TV and it doesn't seem to be the cause (noise is worse if I remove the filter). The only electrical device I have found that reduces the buzz is too shut off the battery charger on the inverter remote panel.

Any suggestions as to how to eliminate the noise while leaving the charger "on"?
kellysrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2005, 05:38 AM   #2
Winnebago Camper

Just recently I started hearing a buzz from the surround sound speakers only when the speaker selector switch is in the "TV" position. I locacted and isolated a cylindrical noise filter behind the TV and it doesn't seem to be the cause (noise is worse if I remove the filter). The only electrical device I have found that reduces the buzz is too shut off the battery charger on the inverter remote panel.

Any suggestions as to how to eliminate the noise while leaving the charger "on"?
Old 02-12-2005, 10:38 AM   #3
Winnie-Wise

I had the same buzz with our TV but was able to reposition the cylindrical noise filter to eliminate it. I just reached behind the TV and moved the filter to various positions untill the noise was eliminated. Once I repositioned it, I reattached it to the shelf with the sticky velcro tape. Try moving yours around into various positions to see if it helps.
Old 02-12-2005, 02:07 PM   #4
Winnie-Wise

Kellysrv, I have a similar buzz that I've been looking for since last summer.
There is another radio noise filter under the dash board on my unit. I'm not sure about Journeys. I keep thinking the noise for me is from a noisy electric water heater coil.

You can see some of the other comments by searching under "radio feedback".

The dealer, along with the Forest City support person, was not able to find the problem.

You might try looking for that noise filter under the dash. Mine was directly under the dash radio, under the air vent hoses.

Radio Shack has "ferrite" that you can try also. You wrap the offending wire around the ferrite block. I've used these on other applications with success. I don't know the part number for Radio Shack but here's a web site that explains the stuff.
http://computer.howstuffworks.com/question352.htm

Good luck.
DonavonP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2005, 02:43 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Try turning off your inverter/charger. make sure the "Charger" part is off if you are connected to shore power. We spent much time and effort chasing this, and it turned out to be caused by the inverter making the power supply in tv hum, and it being passed into the DHS surround sound system despite any number of filters, etc.

We ultimately ended up replacing the inverter with a pure Sine-Wave model. It instantly solved the problem. Incidently, we did have the Xantrex inverter replaced twice in this process, with no improvement. It appears to have been caused by the modified sine-wave interacting with the TV.

Good Luck.

2004 Horizon 40AD
BucknJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2005, 06:56 AM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Thanks for the replys...I had already relocated the cylindrical filter outside the TV pod with little or no effect on the buzz. Only shutting off the xantrax inverter/charger reduces the buzz. I think "BucknJeff" is right, I probably have to replace the inverter with a true sine wave model. Since my earlier posting, I have also found I get less noise from the genset than from the shorepower. What I don't understand is the buzz wasn't there for nearly two years then suddenly started two weeks ago perhaps after hitting a severe bump in the road or running extensively on the genset and/or the inverter for many days.
Old 02-14-2005, 07:24 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Sounds like you have a loose ground conection somewhere in the coach. You are just going to have to chase it down. One more thing you might try with the noise filter. Try relocating the filter from it's present location (which should be at the back of the TV) to the input connection on the external amplifier for the Q Surround system. This eliminates the cable (which may be acting as an antenna) as well as the magnetic nterference from the TV. Went through this exercise on my 39QD and found the relocation of the filter was a major help in elimination of the buzz. Unfortunately, I feel that all of our coaches are "Dirty" when it comes to power and ground loops.

Hope this helps.

03 Horizon 39QD
Rick Buddrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2005, 12:10 PM   #8
Winnie-Wise

I had the same problem, plus my TV was picking-up radio. My dealer installed shielded coax from floor mounted TV amp to TV. Problemm fixed, warranty issue.
Gary CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2005, 06:35 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

I flip the switches back & forth between T.V & Radio and house & engine power. That stops the hum for me (2004 Suncruiser 33v.
Ed Digardi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2005, 08:41 AM   #10
Winnebago Camper

This seems to be a universal problem. I called Winnebago Customer Service about it an they said switch the radio from house to chassis batteries. I told them I heard they had a fix for the problem. They said "that's the fix". Well, it worked. So much for the "fix".
Joe
2004 Itasca Meridian 34H
350 CAT C7
1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited
VIP TowBrake
Old 02-26-2005, 02:42 PM   #11
Winnie-Wise

I don't have a HUM anymore! I had the switch in the TV Mode in the upper cabinet and I turned the Dash Radio on in House mode. While turning up the vol I could here sound, somewhat distorted but none the less sound. I switched the rocker switch from tv to radio and the Radio came in much clearer. SOOOOO I took the cover off the front of the Cabinet and swiched the wires from TV to Radio and Radio to TV. Turned on the Radio while in TV mode, Nothing! Turned on the TV in Radio mode, Nothing! After I turned to TV mode with the TV on and the Dash switch in House, Sound was great! When I turned off the TV with house power on I didn't have any hum and still don't. Everything works great! Don't know if this will work for you but it sure did it for me. Most fixes are discoverd by accident!
Trek-Cyclist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2005, 12:36 PM   #12
Winnebago Camper

Thanks, many good comments! If you recall my earlier posting, the buzzing was coming through the system from the charger side of the inverter/charger. Interestingly, the solution for eliminating the buzzing seemed to be in relocating to another RV site. It appears there was RF radiation from one of two possible sources...we were parked very near a utility transformer and also the rear of the coach was only about 10 feet from a Ham radio antenna. I am convinced one or the other of these were emitting enough radiation to cause the noise. The Q-surround system is quieter than ever thanks to relocating the cylinerical noise filter away from the TV set and of course moving the coach to a new location.