Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Electrical | Charging, Solar and Electronics
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 01-19-2011, 05:07 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Angry Winnebago EMS switchs between 50 and 30 amps

When I load the 12volt system the EMS display Flashes between 50 and 30 amps. I think I have a bad converter. When I unplug the converter and run on battery everything works OK. History Parallax 7455 -- The orginal converter caused EMS to do stange displays. Second converter would blow fuses. Third converter has been OK for two years four months (two year warranty) now it is the one going from 50 to 30 amps. Has anyone else expireance this?
My next converter will be one that does a better job of charging the batteries. Looking at PD9260CV. Any other suggestion?

Winne Voyage
Winne Voyage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 05:13 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

Welcome to the forum! I'm sure some experts will chime in soon.

Are you plugged into 50 amp when this happens? Has it happened on more than one hook up location?

It sounds like a loose wire or intermitent connection could be disconnecting one of the 50 amp legs causing the EMS to revert to 30 amp.

Good luck...

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 05:15 PM   #3
iRV2 Marketing

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winne Voyage View Post
My next converter will be one that does a better job of charging the batteries. Looking at PD9260CV. Any other suggestion?
Winnie Voyage, I will give any products from Progressive Dynamics a BIG thumbs up! You certainly are not going to do any better.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 08:41 PM   #4
Winnebago Watcher

I am hooked up to 50 amps. If I hook up to 30 amp the EMS flashes 30 and 20 amps. I have checked L1 and L2 and have 240on 50 amps and 120 on 30 amps.
Old 01-20-2011, 06:12 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Try disconnecting the phone cord from either the inverter or the remote panel for a minute or so..This has worked for some folks with strange happenings...Worth a try...
movin-on is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 05:03 PM   #6
Winnebago Watcher

Smile Problem solved

Replaced the Parallax converter with a Progessive Dynamics PD9260CV. The display on my EMS has the correct display now. This converter also has a three step smart charger. Should give longer battery live. After three bad Parallax in four years I would not recommend Parallax converters.
Old 01-28-2011, 05:39 PM   #7
Winnie-Wise

Flashing lights can often be corrected by disconnecting the "phone cord". This has worked for me several times. The one time that disconnecting did not correct the problem, I found a short in the cord. Xantrex told me that my inverter was bad, so I'm sure glad that I checked the cord first.

I've had no problems since replacing the cord about 3 years ago.
ernieh is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
winnebago owners