Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Electrical | Charging, Solar and Electronics
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 09-03-2007, 06:03 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Bought an outside lighted door handle in Forest City and installed it, with a switch, the other day. Worked great when tested. But, when camping I turned it on in the evening and it worked great, for about 20 minutes, kinda flickered and went out. I then turned the switch off. Couple minutes later turned the switch back on and it worked fine, for awhile, and went off again. I turned off.
What gives, any ideas from ya all??

Thanks in advance,
2002 W-22 266"wb, Winnebago Chieftain 39T, UltraPower, Koni's, Helwig bars, Nuvi 660, Sirius, Scan Gauge II, Sentry TM. 2003 LW300 Saturn toad, Sterling towbar & Apollo brake. And Hannah the Princess and Stevie the Dude!
Daysu47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2007, 06:03 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Bought an outside lighted door handle in Forest City and installed it, with a switch, the other day. Worked great when tested. But, when camping I turned it on in the evening and it worked great, for about 20 minutes, kinda flickered and went out. I then turned the switch off. Couple minutes later turned the switch back on and it worked fine, for awhile, and went off again. I turned off.
What gives, any ideas from ya all??

Thanks in advance,
2002 W-22 266"wb, Winnebago Chieftain 39T, UltraPower, Koni's, Helwig bars, Nuvi 660, Sirius, Scan Gauge II, Sentry TM. 2003 LW300 Saturn toad, Sterling towbar & Apollo brake. And Hannah the Princess and Stevie the Dude!
Old 09-03-2007, 06:39 AM   #3
Winnie-Wise

Could it be that the handle you have has a timer in it and is supposed to go off after a certain amount of time. I have seen some that are wired to the door switch and only stay lit for a short period of time when entering or exiting the coach.
Kazoo Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2007, 10:11 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

Tom's got a good idea there! Time how long the handle stays lit - if it extinguishes after 20 minutes every time you operate it, Tom must be correct. If it goes out at a random interval, then it's something else.

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2007, 11:39 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

Check your yellow step light and see if thats going off also.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2007, 01:37 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Thanks for the possibilities but I might add.....

I installed the lighted handle using a HD switch from Kragen, installed it in the blank meant for the electric awning switch. Hooked up the wires as follows.... Hot wire, according to tab on wire on handle, to the hot side of the bay light switch and the ground wire to a lone yellow hanging wire with a female connector on it. Checked with voltmeter, had 13.6 volts.
Before I put it on I looked inside of the bottom end of the handle and all I saw was the 2 wires going into the clear plastic tube.
I will check the duration of it tonight and report later.

Again thanks,

David
Old 09-06-2007, 06:49 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Turned handle light on last night, left on for 17 minutes, didn't go out, then had to leave.

Are there handles with timers?

Thoughts, should I try for a longer duration?
Old 09-06-2007, 12:23 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Daysu47:
Thanks for the possibilities but I might add.....

I installed the lighted handle using a HD switch from Kragen, installed it in the blank meant for the electric awning switch. Hooked up the wires as follows.... Hot wire, according to tab on wire on handle, to the hot side of the bay light switch and the ground wire to a lone yellow hanging wire with a female connector on it. Checked with voltmeter, had 13.6 volts.
Before I put it on I looked inside of the bottom end of the handle and all I saw was the 2 wires going into the clear plastic tube.
I will check the duration of it tonight and report later.

Again thanks,

David </div></BLOCKQUOTE>David - I'm confused. You say you hooked up the positive to the positive of the bay light switch and the negative to the yellow hanging wire. Winnie uses yellow for positive and white for negative.

Did you verify the polarity of both sources?

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 04:01 PM   #9
KIX
Winnebago Master

David, Like John said.........Winne uses yellow wires for +12VDC. You could check this by leaving the light on unitl it goes off then check the 2 wires you used and I'm betting that they will both be positive.