Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Electrical | Charging, Solar and Electronics
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 02-09-2010, 06:06 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Satellite TV Receiver Locations

Our 2008 Vectra 40TD has one annoying design issue -- why did they place the satellite receivers in locations that cannot be accessed with the remote controls. For example, bedroom TV is on one wall and the receiver is located above the bed in a cabinet on the opposite wall. The external TV is tied into the main TV -- separate wiring for accessing channels would have been a nice feature (as seen on several other MHs we looked at). Overall, these are minor issues we have with an outstanding coach. Suggestions for possible fixes that won't involve major modifications?
Old 02-09-2010, 06:23 AM   #2
Winnebago Camper

They make two tv receivers that allow you to watch tv on two sets on different channels at the same time. They also make the dual and single receivers with UHF remotes that do not need line of site.

At our sticks and bricks we have a dual receiver in the LR and with a UHF remote and a seperate UHF remote and tv in the BR, both work fine without line of site and on a single receiver in the LR.
Old 02-09-2010, 06:47 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Thanks Jim -- the UHF receivers are what we'll go with. Checked the DirecTV site and they have the receivers/remotes. Checking some of the commercial big-box stores for a lower price.
Old 02-09-2010, 06:47 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

This is what we bought for the same problem. X10 POWERMID REMOTE EXTENDER PM5900 IR RF SENDER NEW - eBay (item 310198399205 end time Feb-09-10 19:00:36 PST) Tried it out by placing the receiving pyramid in front of the TV/Sat receiver and the transmit end in another room. It worked great! Have not used it in the MH yet but we are thinking that on the dresser it might work through the window to change channels when using the outside TV.
HD4Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 08:30 AM   #5
Winnebago Camper

I also recommend the remote extenders. The remote extender for dish network works great and any place. Also works for the outside TV.
sam-tip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 04:21 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

UHF remote controls work well. Back in the late 80s we had a large satellite dish with the receiver in a closet. You could run it from anywhere in the 3500 SF house.

We just bought a Dish Network 722 dual tuner receiver for the MH. I'll setup the front TV to use the infrared remote and the bedroom TV will use the UHF remote.
kjburns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 11:24 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Now, if you can figure out a way to turn the inverter off without getting out of bed ?

Of course if you never "boondock" there is no problem.(think Quartzsite)

Kerry
two-niner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 06:55 AM   #8
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by two-niner View Post
Now, if you can figure out a way to turn the inverter off without getting out of bed ?

Kerry
I purchased another dimensions remote panel and made a little wooden box for it. It now sits on the countertop next to the bed. Routing the cat 5 cable was easy, there is a large wire bundle that goes out to the basement area under the bed. Routing it to the inverter was pretty easy also.

When we are boondocking I simply disconnect the original cat5 cable to the inverter and plug in my new bedroom cat5 cable. It sure makes life easy.

Jim

Our Webpage
jimandsue60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 10:29 AM   #9
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by two-niner View Post

Kerry

Some inverters have "Load sense" you turn off the TV the inverter goes to sleep.

I plan on using a remote extender when I get my full sat-tv set up since the receiver will most likely be a long way from the bedroom.