Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Tech | Toys and Gear
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 08-28-2012, 09:34 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

How do I hook up my satellite receiver in the bedroom

I have a 2012 Itasca Ellipse 42QD and would like to hook up a second directv satellite receiver in the bedroom. When looking in the cabinet I only see a coax connection and the infra red attachment. Should there be cables or HDMI cord to hook to my receiver. I appreciate any and all help.

Thanks
The Bay I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 09:41 AM   #2
Winnebago Watcher

Our new Bounder had the co-ax outlet in the cabinet above the rear TV. It is the second feed from the rooftop antenna for the sat receiver. Does this help?
Old 08-28-2012, 09:48 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

I really doubt there is any HDMI cable run provided and you wouldn't need it to hook up a second sat receiver anyway. Wiring diagrams for your coach are available on Winnie's web site but I think the fastest way would be to give them a call. They're very helpful.

I'm not sure what kind of AV distribution box they're using these days so I don't know if it will pass a sat signal or not. Ideally, there would be two coax lines available to support use of a DVR.

Best of luck.

rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 02:53 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

Ours has an HDMI cable in the bedroom cabinet with the coax plate.

Yours may be hiding somewhere.

As I understand it, a jumper coax is used in our main satellite cabinet that routes the roof sat signal to the bedroom plate.

These systems a getting more complicated every year, it would be nice if Winnie put together instruction videos for download.

Good luck, I am just beginning to understand our setup.
Old 08-28-2012, 08:57 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

Some of the display models at GNR had an HDMI distribution systems installed. That wouldn't help you with a second satellite receiver, but would give you HDMI from the front receiver. You could check to see if there is a splitter in the coax cable from the front cabinet to the bedroom. It would be for the outside entertainment system. You could take the splitter out and install a diplexer at each end. You would connect current switch box output to tht TV side and the switch or second satellite cable from the LNB to the Sat side of the diplexer in the front and the second receiver to the Sat sided on the diplexer in the bedroom.
1999 Jeep Cherokee & 1991 Jeep Wrangler Renegade
John Hilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 06:35 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

The newer coaches are getting away from rf coax distribution, ours has composite video/component video distribution mainly. HDMI feeds Bluray DVD player to both front tvs. Bedroom and outside tvs have own dvd players.

Winny is using tvs as input switching devices.

The roof off the air antenna and the cable input is wired directly to all tvs. You use tv source to select it. Also, roof antenna amplifier on/off selects roof ant or cable.

On our main tv, I select TV input for off the air or cable. Select HDMI1 for dvd. Select Component 1 for sat rcvr. (My video/audio distributiion switch has 3 inputs, Sat 1, Sat2, Aux) Only Sat1 and Aux hooked up. I can select these inputs for Main tv,.outside tv, bedroom tv. Small front tv is slave to main tv for these inputs.

I haven't gone thru all my systems yet, but I believe my bedroom speakers and outside speakers only woork when playing dvd or radio. Other inputs only use tv speakers.
Old 08-29-2012, 07:17 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

you have a hdmi cable also may have to reach and feel for it
fla tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 07:22 AM   #8
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by DancinCampers View Post
Winny is using tvs as input switching devices.

I'm glad to hear this. It makes more sense with today's technology. I've converted my coach to work this way but had to run my own HDMI throughout.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
Old 08-29-2012, 07:25 AM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Thanks for all the replies, I did email Winnebago and they sent me a drawing which shows next to the coax connection there is a HDMI connection so that I can hook up my receiver to this and it is connected to the tv. They replied back within an hour, great service.
The Bay I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 07:28 AM   #10
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bay I View Post
They replied back within an hour, great service.
Yesterday I sent Winnie an email with questions about my slides and got a call an hour later. Really happy with their support of a 5 year old coach.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD

Tags
satellite