Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Electrical | Charging, Solar and Electronics
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 12-22-2023, 10:45 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Puck Light Covers 2016 Journey 36M

Does anyone have any tricks for removing the glass covers off the large (4.5") puck lights? I have several that need replacing. I can get the covers off the small ones just fine.

Aaron
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2023, 12:45 AM   #2
Winnie-Wise

I use a flat rubber jar lid opener - available at big box stores...
Old 12-23-2023, 07:15 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

If you have the vinyl ceiling they can sometimes stick to it over time. Try running your finger around the edge. Absent that, ya just gotta get a good grip and twist.

I’ve had to swap all one out due to flickering issues, it gets easier the more you do!
Old 12-23-2023, 08:03 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

Lots of different types so depends!
If they are the type where the cover meets the ceiling, it is good to try to press something really flat all along the outside to break any "seal" it has built between the two. I find my wife's nail file is good for that as a flat metal piece that is thing.
But if they are on a base, there is likely to be a set of tabs to find and then pressing in, almost bowing the plastic to get the tabs to come loose.
If you can get something thin and flat in the joint between the cover and base and move around it to pry down a bit, you may be able to spot a few spots where the cover doesn't pry down as much and that is where you have to keep pressing toward the center of the light to get the cover bowed enough to release?
It always seems like a close call whether I get it bowed enough to pop loose or the plastic is brittle enough to break when I squeeze it!

Get one of the type off and then you can see the tabs to locate them on the next one.
I figure that gives me about a 50-50 shot at only breaking one???
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2023, 05:19 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Finally!

I finally found something that works! The rubber jar grippers kept slipping, I couldn't get enough pressure against them due to arthritic hands and wrists. I have several strap wrenches that I use as jar openers, however, they have a wider band and I couldn't quite get a grip. I was walking past a tool box in my secondary storage barn when I saw this one sticking out. Perfect! Based on the brand I would guess I got it at Walmart somewhere along the way.

Aaron
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20231231_231634602.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	292.4 KB
ID:	188154  
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2024, 06:54 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Ceiling Puck Light Covers Source

Hi, what a timely post. I have ceiling light flicker issues and solved it be removing the cover, switching in a new LED resecuring the cover (so I thought) until we going down the highway and hear this loud crash with glass bits all over the floor. I have a couple more to change ...any idea where you can get replacement covers? I have a 2010 WINNEBAGO Journey Express. Tried the factory store with no luck.
Any help including a part number if you know it is appreciated Glass or plastic is ok by me.

Thank you.
Happy New Year.
Brian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morich View Post
Lots of different types so depends!
If they are the type where the cover meets the ceiling, it is good to try to press something really flat all along the outside to break any "seal" it has built between the two. I find my wife's nail file is good for that as a flat metal piece that is thing.
But if they are on a base, there is likely to be a set of tabs to find and then pressing in, almost bowing the plastic to get the tabs to come loose.
If you can get something thin and flat in the joint between the cover and base and move around it to pry down a bit, you may be able to spot a few spots where the cover doesn't pry down as much and that is where you have to keep pressing toward the center of the light to get the cover bowed enough to release?
It always seems like a close call whether I get it bowed enough to pop loose or the plastic is brittle enough to break when I squeeze it!

Get one of the type off and then you can see the tabs to locate them on the next one.
I figure that gives me about a 50-50 shot at only breaking one???

Tags
light, journey