Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Electrical | Charging, Solar and Electronics
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 05-07-2023, 10:46 AM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

house to chassis charging for 2007 View

Seems like there'd be a thread here for this but i don't see it.

I'm installing a Xantrex Echo Charger on my 2007 View and i've read conflicting information if i need to install a relay as well. The Xantrex is similar to the Trik-L-Start and Amp-L-Start. I believe the battery solenoid is allowing the chassis battery to charge the house batteries whenever the chassis battery is getting a charge (ie alternator). Now that i'm installing the Echo Charger (so the chassis battery will charge whenever the house batteries are getting a charge (plugged in, solar), i think the relay would be so there is not a charging loop where they're both working.

I think the relay would be on the Xantrex and not allow it to run if the engine is on (since in that case the chassis battery is already charging). Not sure where/how i wire the relay.

any thoughts, or better yet pictures?

thanks- N
niklas1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2023, 03:13 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

I'm familiar with the Trik-l lineup and many of us favored using them, however they are also now out of business, so we might have been looking for alternates.
But I did a quick look for the Xantrex and I'm not sure I am gettting the full question on what to do?

It appears to me that the new unit does much the same as the old Trik-L but just at a much higher price?

My view is that there would be no problem with charging from two "different directions" but the larger problem that we want to avoid is running both down while we camp.
I would assume they would use very much the same components on the Xantrac as used by Trik-L to keep current from flowing from the chassis battery to the coach battery through their system and without change to the mode solenoid connection.
No actual relay involved but a few simple parts that operate like a check valve on water supply, letting current flow but in one way only.

One of the downsides to solid state electronics is often that they do not want others to know how they build their stuff, so we can only guess what they have inside!

Is there a manual that comes with this? I see mention on the front of checking that but I also see it labeled as very simple looking to wire!

Click image for larger version

Name:	charge.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	39.1 KB
ID:	185944

On the Trik-L line it was just a matter of choosing a spot where convenient to get to both coach and chassis battery supply and placing the unit there, which seems to be what is needed here?

I found getting to my solenoid was way too much effort as it was hidden behind a breaker panel, so mounted it in the battery compartment where I had both batteries handy.
Downside of putting anything very close to batteries is the tendancy to corrode more quickly but I was willing to accept that for the ease of install.

But I will also admit to never having seen or used this item, so I may be totally missing the question!

Wake me if I's sleeping??
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2023, 09:06 PM   #3
Winnebago Watcher

Great, thank you for the reply. I ended up wiring it without the relay and seems to be working fine. If i'm plugged in, the "on" light is on the Xantrex, but as soon as i start the RV the light turns off. I'm not sure if it turns off since the voltage differential goes away, or because the chassis battery is now above 13 V with the alternator running. Either way, seems to be working fine. I'm installing solar panels this weekend so hopefully i don't mess something up there. thanks again!
niklas1234 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
charging, chassis, view