Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNIEOWNERS COMMUNITY FORUMS > Winnebago General Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 07-26-2021, 07:33 AM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

2014 View house batteries not charging

I know the house batteries are good. Plugged in everything works but the house batteries are drained now and wont charge. I recently brought it into Mercedes for air bag recall and yes I have a call into the but I was hoping someone had a quick answer. Is there a fuse or shut off I'm missing?
Moto21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 11:55 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

Send a message via Yahoo to rk911
suggest you remove the batteries and have them load tested. or...disconnect all cables from the batteries and connect a standard automotive battery charger to each, one at a time, and see if they hold a charge.

2016 Itasca Suncruiser 38Q
rk911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 12:29 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

A s a first step, I might want to question what and how you are making the decisions on the batteries.
Quote:
I know the house batteries are good. Plugged in everything works but the house batteries are drained now and wont charge.

This seems to be a conflict with itself as good batteries are not drained and won't charge!

What makes you feel they are good, as even new batteries can be bad and when they are fully discharged is one way to damage them, so please tell us what says they are good?
Have they been fully charged and then a load test done to see if they are damaged?
Or is it just that you know they were new and now they are not?
The devil is in the details and batteries are one of those things which seem so simple but confuse us many times!

Voltage readings are not the best but they are simple and quick for many of us to use, so do you have any numbers to see if the converter is putting out a voltage to charge the batteries?
Just looking at the battery posts is one way to tell if the converter is charging or not as it will read higher than the normal fully charged battery voltage of near 12.8 when charging. If you are not seeing at least that level at the battery when plugged in, then you need to search for a converter system problem.
By saying things work when plugged in, it indicates that converter is working to power things at that time but if it is not getting to the batteries, then that is a problem to look over.
More details needed to help better.
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 01:44 PM   #4
Winnebago Watcher

Ok, Blond moment. No I don't know batteries are good. They are only two years old though and seemed to be good a few weeks ago as they showed a good charge. I pulled both of them and will get them checked.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morich View Post
A s a first step, I might want to question what and how you are making the decisions on the batteries.
Quote:
I know the house batteries are good. Plugged in everything works but the house batteries are drained now and wont charge.

This seems to be a conflict with itself as good batteries are not drained and won't charge!

What makes you feel they are good, as even new batteries can be bad and when they are fully discharged is one way to damage them, so please tell us what says they are good?
Have they been fully charged and then a load test done to see if they are damaged?
Or is it just that you know they were new and now they are not?
The devil is in the details and batteries are one of those things which seem so simple but confuse us many times!

Voltage readings are not the best but they are simple and quick for many of us to use, so do you have any numbers to see if the converter is putting out a voltage to charge the batteries?
Just looking at the battery posts is one way to tell if the converter is charging or not as it will read higher than the normal fully charged battery voltage of near 12.8 when charging. If you are not seeing at least that level at the battery when plugged in, then you need to search for a converter system problem.
By saying things work when plugged in, it indicates that converter is working to power things at that time but if it is not getting to the batteries, then that is a problem to look over.
More details needed to help better.
Moto21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 01:57 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

Heh, I'm not blaming anybody for ANYTHING, after some of the totally blind things, I've done!
And batteries confuse more people on this forum than any other single thing!!!
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
batteries, charging, house batteries, view