Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-06-2013, 10:57 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Generator issue

Onan 7000 runs fine as long as the coach engine is running. Once the coach engine is shut down the generator quits within minutes. It will start right back but shuts off in about 3 minutes. Crank the coach engine and it runs like a champ. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Old 12-07-2013, 07:14 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

When it's shutting off it's important to know whether it's an internal error or something else causing it to shut down. If an internal error, i'll need to know which one. Do you know how to retrieve the error codes from the START/STOP switch on the genset? Remove the front (side) cover to expose the generator controls; and here's a quick guide to retrieving the error code:
Quote:
FAULT CODES

The genset controller provides extensive diagnostics by causing the status indicator light on the Control Switch to blink in a coded fashion. Following a fault shutdown, the indicator light will blink repeatedly:1, 2 or 3 blinks at a time.

• One blink is code for shut down due to high temperature
• Two blinks is code for shutdown due to a loss of engine oil pressure
• Three blinks is code for shutdown due to some other abnormal condition.

For a 1-blink or 3-blink fault code, one touch to the STOP side of the button brings up a second-level fault code. This code consists of 1, 2, 3 or 4 or blinks, a brief pause, and then 1 to 9 blinks. The first set of blinks represents the tens digit and the second set of blinks the units digit of the fault code number. For example, Fault Code No. 23 would be:

blink-blink—pause—blink-blink-blink—
Old 12-07-2013, 08:44 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

How new is this coach to you? Mine does the same thing. I have the Onan Command 30 panel. My coach is set up for Auto Start. One of the options for this to happen is that the ignition switch must be operated within a set period of time. Please read about it in the manual. It makes more sense than my explanation.

If I have the generator running, manual or Auto start, and I operate the ignition key to ACC or ignition the generator stops. I can restart it in the selected key position if I choose. It is the nature of the beast and normal.

If I have the Auto Start selected in the Command 30 and operate the key for any reason, it drops back to manual, generator running or not. This is all normal. I know there is a great technical answer out there but this is the best I can do.

Your coach may be different and you could have a real issue. For me, you have described normal.

Happy trails,
Rick
Old 12-07-2013, 07:16 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

I don't have the auto start function. Yesterday the generator quit 3 times within 10 minutes without the coach engine running. I started the coach, drove for 3 hours with the generator running and it never quit one time. Parked the coach, turned the coach engine off and about 5 minutes later the generator stopped. It will restart with no issues but will only run about 5 minutes and then it quits. I'll check to see if I'm getting any fault codes in the morning. Once again, the genny runs fine as long as the coach engine is running.
Old 12-07-2013, 07:21 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Make sure your oil level is not too full or too low, but has to be just right.
homeless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 07:45 PM   #6
Winnebago Watcher

Couldn't be a fuel issue could it ??? The engine electrical pump in the tank providing enough extra pressure to the genny ????
monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 09:04 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkey View Post
Couldn't be a fuel issue could it ??? The engine electrical pump in the tank providing enough extra pressure to the genny ????
That's what I suspect too. Partially clogged fuel filter, fuel pump failing, restriction in fuel line, etc.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 04:53 AM   #8
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyl View Post
Onan 7000 runs fine as long as the coach engine is running. Once the coach engine is shut down the generator quits within minutes. It will start right back but shuts off in about 3 minutes. Crank the coach engine and it runs like a champ. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
OK. No auto start. I am now leaning toward electrical of fuel filter as a couple of others have mentioned. If you don't have your Onan book post the fault code and one of us will give you the definition. I have never heard of an electric fuel pump for diesel. Your coach is a DP?

Have you done the services? In any case, get the fail code but also clean the battery connections and be certain the ground is good.

When the main engine is running the voltage from the alternator is higher than when on battery. If you have a poor connection to the genset the voltage drop may be enough to cause a false fault code to come in. Onan likes to put many sensors all over the engine. If one is marginal it may signal on a good but lower voltage than that of the alternator.

I hope one of us rings the right bell for you soon. Camping is not as happy as it should be when things are not as they should be.

Rick
Old 12-08-2013, 07:48 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

My rig is gas, 8.1 work horse. I cleaned all of the electrical connections on the batteries and also to the generator. Also removed and cleaned all of the grounding locations I could find. Started the gen set and it ran flawlessly for 3 hours until I shut it down. Service was just completed 2 weeks prior to the problem occurring. I suspected electrical issue somewhere but couldn't narrow it down to one spot. But after the work today it appears the problem was solved. Time will tell.

Thanks for all of the suggestions. This is a great place for help. Much appreciated.
Old 12-08-2013, 08:00 PM   #10
JC2
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
My rig is gas, 8.1 work horse. I cleaned all of the electrical connections on the batteries and also to the generator. Also removed and cleaned all of the grounding locations I could find. Started the gen set and it ran flawlessly for 3 hours until I shut it down. Service was just completed 2 weeks prior to the problem occurring. I suspected electrical issue somewhere but couldn't narrow it down to one spot. But after the work today it appears the problem was solved. Time will tell.

Thanks for all of the suggestions. This is a great place for help. Much appreciated.
Who performed the service work 2 weeks ago and what type was done?
Old 12-08-2013, 08:37 PM   #11
Winnebago Camper

Goodyear did the service, oil, filter, air filter and spark arrester cleaning.
Old 12-09-2013, 04:30 AM   #12
Winnebago Master

Quote:

This is good news! Thanks for the update.

When I posted about cleaning all of the connections I forgot to mention one thing. If you don't have anti-oxidation grease I suggest you go to Lowe's or HD electrical dept and get a a small tube. It lasts a long time. I use a sparing amount on my connections. It is not a cure but it is a great deterrent of oxidation, especially on the grounds that seem to be more susceptible.

Once again,

Rick

Tags
generator