Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Electrical | Charging, Solar and Electronics
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 12-20-2006, 10:50 AM   #21
Winnie-Wise

What kind of test can they run on the converter to check it out? Would it be some type of load test?

Our Travel Blog www.mytripjournal.com/rvnchickalaska
SargeW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 02:07 PM   #22
Winnie-Wise

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Have you identified where your converter is? When hooked to shore power can you feel or hear it humm? Can you hear the converter fan cooling cycle on and off? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Old 12-20-2006, 03:58 PM   #23
Winnebago Camper

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Pubtym:

Converter is a sealed unit...hmmmmm. Factory specs say nothing to repair/service inside. Two Fuses (30 amp)are only serviceable items outside unit. I must note that when converter #2 went out...during simple troubleshooting again..I tapped/rapped on the top of the unit..and I heard something inside move...and it started up with the hmmmmm. Worked till I got it to factory. Factory consulted with Parallax and converter #3 was installed. So far...so good.

Honestly, I believe there is a defective series of these Parallax Converters installed in winnie 06 models and... when they do unknowingly fail...they take out the house batts by allowing them to drain lowerer than the point of possible full recovery. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hi Pubtym,

My bad! Evidently it was the entire converter that was bad. Anyway, had the thing replaced for the 3rd time and no problems since. Our house batteries did go low, but not past the point of no return.

06'Winnebago Adventurer 35A
It's A Good Life!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2006, 07:49 AM   #24
Winnie-Wise

Well, I checked the batteries again yesterday. I checked the voltage hooked up to shore power, unhooked from shore power, and then turned the converter on and powered up the TV and TV antenna booser.

I let the TV run for about 30 minutes, and checked the voltage while the TV and converter was on. The batteries maintained about 12.6 volts. I can't complain about the performance. The only thing I can figure is that maybe I left something on that killed the system (maybe the converter/inverter) after 7 days with no shore power. I shut everything down, and left the shore power unplugged. I will monitor it for the next few days and see what happens to the voltage........

Our Travel Blog www.mytripjournal.com/rvnchickalaska
SargeW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2006, 08:47 AM   #25
Winnie-Wise

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by SargeW:
Well, I checked the batteries again yesterday. I checked the voltage hooked up to shore power, unhooked from shore power, and then turned the converter on and powered up the TV and TV antenna booser.

I let the TV run for about 30 minutes, and checked the voltage while the TV and converter was on. The batteries maintained about 12.6 volts. I can't complain about the performance. The only thing I can figure is that maybe I left something on that killed the system (maybe the converter/inverter) after 7 days with no shore power. I shut everything down, and left the shore power unplugged. I will monitor it for the next few days and see what happens to the voltage........ </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I believe you have converter and inverter confused. Converter works when on shore power, Gen, and engine amp. It changes AC to DC and charges house batts either at 14.4V or 13.5V depending how long you have the converter on line\ for the house batts.

The Inverter (600Watt?) changes 12V to 110 VAC to power TV, DVD, CD player). When converter is online, Inverter is not powered. When converter is off line you have to manually turn on the Inverter to power small entertainment AC 110 electronics. Generally one should leave the Inverter switch off unless you are directly using house batts through inverter to power entertainment AC electronics.
Old 01-02-2007, 08:28 AM   #26
Winnebago Owner

I had the same problem as "It's a good life" in my 05 35A last easter lights went dim had to replace fuses on the converter and then it worked untill we went out west, since then I have replaced the fuses about 8 times my dealer says they cant find the problem and Winnebago told me to call Magna Tech directly and see if they could help. Now it's back at the dealer and we will see what happens, I'll keep ya posted.

us + 3 active boys + 2 crazy labs + 1 plucky bird
Bob RV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 11:59 AM   #27
Winnebago Owner

looks like our my converter problem may be solved--after bring the mh in several times to have the converter looked at since it was blowing too many fuses for me liking and after I contacted Magna Tech and had the dealer contact them also it appears there was a pinched wire that has now been corrected. I do not know what wire was pinched, hopefully I will find outand more improtantly hopefully this has solved my problem. Only time will tell with this one since.

us + 3 active boys + 2 crazy labs + 1 plucky bird
Bob RV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2007, 07:30 PM   #28
Winnebago Watcher

My rig has a three step charger I use for the coach batteries. When not in use, I hit the battery disconnect switch and plug in the charger. This keeps the batteries topped off and will not cook the batteries. This charger does an automatic equalization if required. I think this is better on the coach batteries than using the inverter charger. Like anything else, you have to maintain the batteies (check the water levels and the post connections). They are just not maintenance free unless you have AGM batteries. For moany of us, the RV is an ocassional use vehicle. This only compounds the problem as it is not on the top of our mind except when ready to it.