Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-26-2007, 01:48 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

I have a '03 Sightseer that was manufactured in '02. I have already replaced the OEM converter with a PD9245. It had the origional 2 group 24 coach batteries. I replaced them today with WalMart group 29's (only need enough battery to get through a couple of nights on batteries). After they were installed, I checked and topped off the fluid with distilled water. Checked them 4 hours later and there was excess battery fluid all over the place.

Did I just ruin the batteries acid level or is it just excess distilled water that boils over???
Old 08-26-2007, 01:48 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

I have a '03 Sightseer that was manufactured in '02. I have already replaced the OEM converter with a PD9245. It had the origional 2 group 24 coach batteries. I replaced them today with WalMart group 29's (only need enough battery to get through a couple of nights on batteries). After they were installed, I checked and topped off the fluid with distilled water. Checked them 4 hours later and there was excess battery fluid all over the place.

Did I just ruin the batteries acid level or is it just excess distilled water that boils over???
Old 08-26-2007, 02:19 PM   #3

Without seeing just what you did, it sounds like you overfilled the batteries.. The water level in the batts should be approx 1/2 inch below the top of the batt. There are slots cut in the side of the filler tubes that you can see. The water level should be 1/8th inch below these slots, although I always have brought the level to the exact level of the bottom of the slot on all of mine and never had a problem..
SacsTC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2007, 02:20 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

It sounds like you are overcharging the batteries and boiling/bubbling out the water/acid solution. To have the same acid solution, I'm guessing you would need to add a bit of battery acid back, but I seriously doubt if this is a big issue.

What would be a big deal is if enough liquid left the battery to uncover the plates. It is my understanding that once the plates are uncovered, that plate area is now permanently lost for the purpose of storing energy.

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2007, 02:48 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

SacsTC,
When you say 'overfilled' my answer is yes and no. When I added the distilled water, I did not put so much in that fluid poured out of the tops. I just added a little water because it looked a little low. The water level has risen from the charge and overflowed a little. I was always told that it is the water that boils off not the acid. But since I filled them, I am afraid that the solution of water/acid has overflowed and thus lowers the amount of acid left in the battery.
Old 08-26-2007, 04:57 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Those batteries were not fully charged when you installed them. Fluid level rises when batteries low on charge are charged. You probably will be OK if not a lot of acid overflowed.

The question is why were those batteries low on charge? Look at the date code, they may have been sitting on the rack for a long time before being sold.
Ready2Travel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2007, 04:58 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

What seems to have happened here is, you bought new batteries and thought that they needed to be topped of with water. So you did. In actuality the batteries were probably ok on fluid but a little discharged. If you would have let them be they would have probably been at the correct electolite level after 4 hours of charging.

Since you overfilled them you mixed distlled water with acid and then spilled a fair amount of the mixture. They will probably suffer a little bit in the long run.

I would remove some fliud to the proper level(at the base of the little indicator tabs). Save the fluid, let them charge a bit (another couple hours) and check the acid level and specific gravity. If the specific gravity is good and acid level is good, all is good. If the acid level is low add some of the fluid you removed. Since the batteries are new I wouldn't worry about adding some of the acid mixture you removed. You should never add acid to a battery that has been in service for any amount of time.

Jim

Our Webpage
jimandsue60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2007, 05:41 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

To add to what Jim said ...

I have been told (and have read) that you should add fluid to your batteries only after they are fully charged (on my rig I have three lights ... when the right light is on my batteries are fully charged and my inverter/charger is in "float")

I severely shortened the life of one set of batteries by adding water whenever I felt like it (instead of looking at the charge condition) and I consistently put in more water than I should have ...

Lesson learned from the school of hard knocks
skigramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2007, 11:10 PM   #9

Good purchase RickOD on the replacement converter!!! I actually did the same thing...replaced the lousy Magnatek/Parrallax converter and the group 24 batteries with the group 27s from Walmart and I overfilled and the water came out a bit....I dont think it hurt a thing at all....I wouldnt worry a bit about it...
FrontRangeRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 05:57 AM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Hey rick od,
I agree with with FrontRangeRVer. I overfilled mine twice and they ran all over the place while recharging before I finally wisened up. They still work just fine after three seasons. The only things that took a hit were my workbench top which turned to sawdust in places and my garage floor which had a nice acid etched line all of the way to the floor's drain. Sheesh!!! Lesson learned already!!
No worries,
AKBrick
Old 08-27-2007, 01:46 PM   #11
Winnie-Wise

I don't think you would have lost that much acid in the overflow. And since you say you only rely on them for a couple of nights at the most, I would not lose any sleep over it. As others have suggested, in the future, just make sure that the batteries are charged before you add the distilled water. I think that all of us have made the mistake that you did -- I know I found out about the "water overflow" when I got my first bass boat and wanted to make sure the trolling motor was fully full of water before charging --- "opps !!!" -- in the long run, I don't think that the battery lost that much power.