Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Electrical | Charging, Solar and Electronics
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 01-03-2022, 11:45 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Converter and AGM/sealed batteries

I also posted this on the iRV2 forum…sorry for the double post. Does anyone know which brand and model converter is in my motorhome in my signature? I looked at the electrical diagram and see that it’s located under the fridge or pantry but it is difficult to get to. I also checked the manuals. I recently switched from flooded cell to AGM batteries and want to be sure it can charge them properly. I’d also like to know if it’s a 3-stage converter. Thx.
Lakejumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2022, 02:20 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

Not sure of how far this gets you but maybe a start?
The parts catalog is here:
https://catalog3d.winnebagoind.com/2016/193048.htm
Going to the 12volt electrical list, gives this part number for the converter.
Maybe a search online for that part number gets you more info?

Also do you have a big folder of info that might have info on the brand, etc of the converter? Lots of dope in those big folders-- if we can sort it out.

Or it is also true that we can get lucky and find a helpful soul at Winnebago who will look up the specs on things like this?? Double question marks on that one!

Also this is a place where I have had luck on things:
https://winnebagoparts.com/

A simple call might give something?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	converter.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	53.4 KB
ID:	181605  
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2022, 02:56 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

It should have it's own section in your coaches owners manuals .
deckape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2022, 04:05 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Deckape & Morich - thanks! The volumes of manuals only show the Xantrex inverter. There is a generic mention of the converter. The parts catalog helps but I’ll need to call Winnebago tomorrow to find the exact model and if it is compatible with AGM sealed batteries.
Old 01-03-2022, 05:11 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

The Winnebago part number cross-references to a Progressive Dynamics PD9145A – 45 Amp Electronic Power Converter:

https://www.progressivedyn.com/rv/po...wer-converter/

From what I see on Progressive's site, you'll want a PD-9105 Charge Wizard, which is a device that plugs into the converter and "uses microprocessor technology to make your converter an intelligent battery charger for Lead-Acid and AGM type batteries." Note that one may have already been installed by Winnebago:

https://www.progressivedyn.com/xcart/home.php?cat=250

If you don't have a Charge Wizard, it's relatively inexpensive and easy to install (which I've done). You will, however need to access the converter.
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2022, 05:45 PM   #6
Site Team

Yes, I got the charge wizard after market and installing is as easy as plugging in a phone cord. The hardest part was simply getting access to where they installed the converter!
macnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2022, 07:57 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

Okay! That sounds like a good part of what you were needing, so finding and getting to it is the next big thing?
Have you run across my favorite bit of info that Winnebago puts online, known as the "parts catalog"?
Too bad it has such a poor name because it has all kinds of use other than ordering parts!
This is an interactive set of drawings which gives us the chance to "look through walls" and turn the RV over, around and any way we need to find and get a good look at specific parts. It does list the parts in a chart at right but just finding and looking at things without having to crawl through the Rv is a biggie I love!

https://catalog3d.winnebagoind.com/menu/Parts.htm

There are two serial number sets and not knowing, I went with the 7th number being 2, so don't trust this info if your number is 1?

But some drawings of the converter location to confirm what you were saying about location. You may want to look for other things on the Rv, once you get into how much fun it is to just look around --without even breaking a sweat!

https://catalog3d.winnebagoind.com/menu/Parts.htm

I'm guessing there is a thin layer of plywood, etc in the bottom of this space and likely just stapled in, so if you can tease the staples out and pull that panel, you are looking at the converter screwed to the floor and lots of room to work! I've pulled a number of these thing panels and find a good solid staple gun and 1/2 inch staples work good putting it back!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	top.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	51.3 KB
ID:	181609   Click image for larger version

Name:	front copy.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	59.8 KB
ID:	181610  

Name:	high pass side copy.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	42.8 KB
ID:	181611   Click image for larger version

Name:	higher pass side copy.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	42.7 KB
ID:	181612  

Old 01-03-2022, 09:45 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

BobC and Morich, Thanks for all of the info.
bobC - how were you able to translate the Winnebago part number into the brand and model?

Morich - thanks for the great info from the parts website. I’ve been on it before but didn’t realize that it had diagrams as well. It doesn’t work well with my ipad but I do have my notebook with me and will check it out tomorrow. BTW, my serial number’s 7 digit is a “1”.

We’re on the road and on the way eventually to Quartzsite, AZ for some boondocking. I was watching a video yesterday on converters and realized that I may need to upgrade or add on the charging wizard. However, I have been camping with hookups several times with my existing system and the new batteries. Hopefully, I haven’t damaged anything.

Thank you both for your time and effort in finding solutions to help me.
Old 01-04-2022, 09:51 AM   #9
Winnebago Owner

I called Wi nebago Customer Service and found that I have the Progressive Dynamics PD9245-C. It has the 3-Stage charging Wizard and works with AGM/sealed batteries so I’m good to go. Thanks to all of you, I found out new info about this!
Old 01-04-2022, 12:42 PM   #10
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakejumper View Post
BobC and Morich, Thanks for all of the info.
bobC - how were you able to translate the Winnebago part number into the brand and model?
Simple, I Googled it. It doesn't always work but often does. Sometimes it even works on Amazon, especially in the case of sealant part numbers.

And, you're welcome. Good luck. The next time this question comes up, you can answer it. I'm glad you already have the Charge Wizard.

I wish the parts catalog for my 2002 was the 3-D version, it's pretty useful. On the other hand, for some parts, the old version has some pretty detailed line drawings of the part itself.
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2022, 01:44 PM   #11
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobC View Post
Simple, I Googled it. It doesn't always work but often does. Sometimes it even works on Amazon, especially in the case of sealant part numbers.

And, you're welcome. Good luck. The next time this question comes up, you can answer it. I'm glad you already have the Charge Wizard.

I wish the parts catalog for my 2002 was the 3-D version, it's pretty useful. On the other hand, for some parts, the old version has some pretty detailed line drawings of the part itself.
Fully agree with this. And itbrings up something that we need to be remined of more often?
What it takes to really get the most and best work done is everybody doing what they need to do to throw in a little bit of progress as none of us has it all!
Whether we want to fix an RV, build a rocket, or just go fishing, it works better if we can work together!

Tags
batteries, converter, led, seal