Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Electrical | Charging, Solar and Electronics
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 12-25-2023, 01:40 PM   #21
Winnebago Camper

I popped the inverter... No idea what happened yet. I'm exhausted so i just disconnect things so that it's safe and going to give the project a bit of holiday rest.

What I do know, the AC passtgrough on the Freedom HF 1800 inverter worked fine when i tested it. AC passed through and provided 120VAC just fine.

I connected four 12V AGM batteries in parallel, the battery voltage reads 12.93V. i added a recommended 250A DC circuit breaker in line between the batteries (+) positive and the inverter's (+) positive terminal. All wires were color coded black for negative, red for positive to avoid possible confusion or wire crossing. 1/0 AWG wire to handle above max possible load. Verified all house circuit breakers were turned off. I turned on the inverter, it sparked, let out smoke, and beeped E-03 at me until i was able to get it to power down and i turned off the battery circuit breaker.
Double verified the negative from the batteries went to the negative of the inverter, positive to positive. Verified with a cool m volt meter as well. No idea what went wrong.

Only other device in the system, aside from the power and ground wires to the RV as a whole, was my new solar controller. Also verified polarity and it was near sunset so the solar panels couldn't produce much power at that time anyway.

I'll do more investigating after the holidays.
Tadrith Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2023, 03:48 PM   #22
Winnebago Master

Boy, What a way to celebrate!!!
Maybe move on to Happy NEW YEAR??
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2023, 12:24 PM   #23
Winnebago Camper

I've had some days to clear my head and think it through some more. I'm still not certain what sparked the inverter (going to be physically troubleshooting it in a few days). But, i was thinking/reading/realizing that i inadvertantly connected two chargers to my batteries. The coach will charge the batteries when AC is hooked up, and the inverter will also charge the batteries when AC is hooked up.

Having two different battery chargers trying to manage and charge the same batteries at the same time does not sound like a good idea One theory I'm puzzling out is, the system was fine... The batteries were being drained from the inverter powering on, putting out AC into the onboard charger, which then fed the batteries, which were feeding the inverter... Creating a feedback loop that overloaded the charge circuit in the inverter and sparked it? (Which still may not make sense because I had all circuit breakers off, but I'm not sure which one connects to the converter/charger)

I'm digging into documentation to try to figure how to disable the chaler's built in charger, or the next inverter I get, I'll have to disable it's charger.
Tadrith Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2023, 08:20 PM   #24
Winnebago Master

there seems to be confusion on what you are working on as an inverter doesn't charge batteries! If you are installing and inverter charger, there is a second section which acts as a charger but then it also requires different wiring.

Again, I would recommend not trying to work on too may things at the same time but work the simple items first to get a basic idea of things and then gradually build on that as you get things to work as they should.

Back in post 10, 12, and 16 we were discussed how to get the batteries connected to the solenoid. Were you able to find the problem in that question?
That will have to be one of the basic things to get the whole to work, so I would start with the simpler items first.
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electrical