Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-13-2020, 01:56 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Roof A/C mess

I went up on the roof today to check out my 3 A/C units....2 of them were draining on the roof, instead of the drain hose. I pulled the outer cover off, and could see no particular problem. Then, I pulled off the inside cover of the A/C. The condenser was covered with 1/4' to 1/2' of styrofoam bits. No kidding, this stuff was that thick on all 3 condensers. I cleaned the mess up with a vacuum, and blew out the drain hoses. I hope that they at least drain better, now.
fuzzyface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 02:34 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

Sounds like a major good move, both to get the drain but also to kick the cooling up a notch. We should all do more to look at things and prevent trouble but we often miss it.
One of the new things for me when moving to Central Texas, was how different I had to look at things like AC.
Since this part of the world sets on a very large, very deep layer of limestone that is only 6-12 inches down, basements are rare but most new homes are on slab foundations with the heating and Ac air handlers in the attic. To avoid the drain overflow ruining ceilings, there are a number of ever changing building codes for the condensate draining. I have three separate safety items for this but the one I did not know about was on the back of the unit and set up so that a stopped up drain line opens a switch and the compressor does not run!
Had to set up a routine on my calendar to go up every three months to bleach out the drain!
Morich is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
roof