Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Electrical | Charging, Solar and Electronics
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 07-23-2016, 01:32 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Charging the house batteries

Does the engine alternator charge the house batteries? Also does the generator charge the house batteries?
matrix14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 04:07 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Yes, alternator charges the house battery. It is done thru a solenoid in the battery control center. The BCC actually connects the start battery to the house battery. In doing that the charge is shared between them.

If yours isn't, the solenoid in the BCCs often fail.

As far as the generator, it runs the converter, or inverter/charger if equipped, that charges the house batteries. It would be the same way that the shore cord, plugged in to an outlet, would.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 05:28 AM   #3
YC1
Winnebago Owner

Welcome to the best RV forum. Twinboat has your answer. Since you own an RV, you should own a voltmeter. They are easy to use and plenty of you tube videos to help you learn. Knowing your systems before a problem occurs is important unless you are handy with a check book.
Aluminator tow bar, Demco base plate
YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 06:17 AM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Thanks for the info. I'm dry camping this weekend so no shore power. I just want to make sure I can charge the batteries.
matrix14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 08:09 AM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Had a problem charging my house batteries on the road during my last long trip in May-June.

Here is what happened to me:

One day I noticed in the trailer my lights were dim so I checked the brand new house batteries and they were discharged.

So I charged them a little with a battery charger I carry.

I started the engine (with shore power disconnected) and sure enough the house batteries and engine batteries were charging. I started the generator with the engine running and my house batteries quit charging but my engine batteries were charging.

So the trip was a hot one so I ran the generator and overheads all day which meant my house batteries would not charge.

My converter was shot. Replaced it on the road.

So bottom line is if you have a similar "Bird" system like I have and your converter fails the alternator will not charge your house batteries if you are running the generator. Took a while for me to figure this out so I used a high amp battery charger to charge my house batteries with generator on during the trip until I found a converter in Oklahoma.

hope I haven't confused everybody.
TST 507 w/ 10 Sensors
greystroke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 09:08 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by matrix14 View Post
Does the engine alternator charge the house batteries? Also does the generator charge the house batteries?
Without knowing the year and model, we'd be guessing or make generic comments.

Even in many older rigs, the alternator will first apply charge to the chassis batteries, then the BCC will operate a solenoid and charge the house batteries...but only if your chassis batteries come up to a partial charge, or as long as your house batteries aren't defective and too low a voltage. This may NOT be the case when running the genset (and not the engine). This measuring process by the BCC takes around 1-2 minutes. This depends on the age and condition of the batteries. Start the engine, put a meter on the house batteries and wait. You should see the voltage jump up to 13 Volts or more.

The older the rig, the more likely it is that the chassis (starting) battery is NOT charged while on shore power or genset. My '02 Journey for instance is in that group. I added a Trik-L-Start to take care of that. If your RV has a built in BIRD, or an aftermarket device similar to a BIRD, then it will be charged when on shore power.

This is why it's necessary to carry a voltmeter, so you can measure voltages under differing circumstances. If you measure 13 Volts or more, the battery is charging.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 10:39 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

Without knowing the year and model, we'd be guessing or make generic comments.

EXACTLY!!
We need to know that info to HELP determine just what kind of charging system(s) you may have. There's quite a set of variables in different makes/models/years.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 10:48 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Deleted
Old 07-23-2016, 10:49 AM   #9
Winnebago Owner

All of that infomation is in his profile.

2000 Winnebaggo Adventurer WFG 35 U
Old 07-23-2016, 10:54 AM   #10

Quote:
matrix14
On my coach they do.
Mel
'96 Safari, 148k miles
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 11:10 AM   #11
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by greystroke View Post
Had a problem charging my house batteries on the road during my last long trip in May-June.

Here is what happened to me:

One day I noticed in the trailer my lights were dim so I checked the brand new house batteries and they were discharged.

So I charged them a little with a battery charger I carry.

I started the engine (with shore power disconnected) and sure enough the house batteries and engine batteries were charging. I started the generator with the engine running and my house batteries quit charging but my engine batteries were charging.

So the trip was a hot one so I ran the generator and overheads all day which meant my house batteries would not charge.

My converter was shot. Replaced it on the road.

So bottom line is if you have a similar "Bird" system like I have and your converter fails the alternator will not charge your house batteries if you are running the generator. Took a while for me to figure this out so I used a high amp battery charger to charge my house batteries with generator on during the trip until I found a converter in Oklahoma.

hope I haven't confused everybody.
In reviewing the BIRD wiring, it looks like you may have been able to disconnected the "Gererator" wire on the unit. That signal was probably telling the BIRD not to activate the solenoid.
Just something to keep in mind, if it happens again.
Old 07-23-2016, 11:19 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
Yes, alternator charges the house battery. It is done thru a solenoid in the battery control center. The BCC actually connects the start battery to the house battery. In doing that the charge is shared between them.

If yours isn't, the solenoid in the BCCs often fail.

As far as the generator, it runs the converter, or inverter/charger if equipped, that charges the house batteries. It would be the same way that the shore cord, plugged in to an outlet, would.
matrix14
Not every coach has a battery control center, (BCC).
(My battery charging is controlled by a soiid state isolator... the 3 stage automatic battery charger portion of the inverter/charger...and the solar controller).

Your battery charging may be controlled differently.
However if everything is working correctly on your 2000 Winnebago Adventurer WFG 35 U both the alternator an the generator should charge the house batteries.

Mel
'96 Safari
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 11:52 AM   #13
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
In reviewing the BIRD wiring, it looks like you may have been able to disconnected the "Gererator" wire on the unit. That signal was probably telling the BIRD not to activate the solenoid.
Just something to keep in mind, if it happens again.
In hindsight I could have done things different but at the time I did not know what was going on. I continued to travel and it was several days before I had it all figured out. But everything is ok now. Just used a high amp charger to keep me going. Losing DC means losing the fridge. AC, and lights so you can't do without. Replace my converter at a campsite.
TST 507 w/ 10 Sensors
greystroke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 12:52 PM   #14
Winnebago Master

Quote:
The Body, 12 Volt Wiring Diagram for your coach (2000 Adventurer 35U) shows the Battery Mode Solenoid which connects the coach and chassis batteries together whenever the engine is running or the Battery Boost switch on the dash is depressed.

This causes the engine alternator to charge both sets of batteries when the engine is running. Shore power or the generator, on the other hand, will only charge the coach batteries but not the chassis ones (unless you add something like the Trik-L-Start).

2005 Winnebago Vectra 36RD
cbeierl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 01:08 AM   #15
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Please update your signature with your information. This will help us help you better.

Now to answer your question, Maybe and Yes. It depends on the year model you have and how they set it up. The biggest one to worry about is the Chassis battery. Depending on how old yours is it may not charged when plugged into shore power. On I think all of the newer Winne's Shore Power will charge all batteries.
Old 07-24-2016, 10:10 PM   #16
Winnie-Wise

I've had four motorhomes the first being a 1977 and all charged house batteries off the engine alternator. Not saying yours does but I'd sure think it would. As mentioned above a small hand held volt meter would resolve that question.
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 10:42 PM   #17
Winnebago Camper

Get a solar pane, that will help some.
The best time to exercise your Gen set is while your driving down the road to your next location.
At least that way your not interrupting your Nabors.
Just a thought.
Walter5555 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
batteries, charging, house batteries