Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-19-2009, 11:09 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Charge (top-off)coach batteries

we need to leave town for several days and I wanted to top off the charge on the coach and chassis batteries. I brought the rig home, plugged in the trickel charger to the chassis - fine.. Plugged the rig into AC and no charge on the coach batteries - they were at 12.9 when I plugged in and now at 12.8 both at the panel and using fluke at the batteries. why no charging?? Thank you all so much in advance and for the past help thanks again.

2005 journey
350 cat
georgeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 11:48 AM   #2
Winnie-Wise

Just curious, you do have a Tric-L-Start charger don't you? It was not standard in '05 but was in '06. I had to have mine installed about a year after getting the rig home. There was a Winnie service bulletin to that effect.
MaverickBBD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 12:38 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

No, I don't believe I have that charger. It is an '05 36G purchased in '04. I didn't see the bulletin.
Old 06-19-2009, 12:48 PM   #4
Winnie-Wise

Here (hopefully) is a link to the bulletin. Hope you get it and that it helps. http://www.winnebagoind.com/resource...ik-L-Start.pdf
MaverickBBD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 01:15 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Thank you very much I'll give it a try. Also, just went back out looking around and turned the inverter/charger breaker(on the panel at the foot of/under the bed) on and off; this caused the power panel to show some amps and for a few seconds showed the batteries charging!?!?! Thanks again.
georgeb
Old 06-21-2009, 08:39 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

Hi george,

Within several seconds after the engine is started and the alternator is outputting around 13.4 Volts, the tie contactor is energized and connects the house batteries to the alternator so that they can charge as you are driving. If you brought the coach home to charge the batteries, then the house batteries should show 12.9 or 13 Volts just after the engine is turned off. If the reading were down to say 12.4 Volts just after engine shutdown, then you would have a bad tie contactor. Do a search for Trombetta, or tie contactor to see what problems can arise.
Old 06-29-2009, 09:43 AM   #7
Winnebago Camper

MrTransistor - Yes sir, while the engine is running the batteries are charging properly and just after shutting down I do read 12.9 13 or so - the problem is that the coach batteries are not charging when plugged into AC. Thank you for your help.

georgeb
05 journey 350 cat
Old 06-29-2009, 09:51 AM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Sorry, after reading my posts again I find that I am not making my problem very clear: 1) The chassis batteries are fine - charging when the engine is running and when charging with a charger. 2) The coach batteries charge while the engine is running but not while plugged into AC. Thank you all again for your help.
georgeb
Old 06-29-2009, 10:51 AM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Under simular circumstances I learned that my converter had failed and ended up replaceing it with a Progressive unit. Prior to the failure I'ld had some high draws attempting to charge batteries that had gone south over the previous winter. My was easy to get to after pulling out one drawer and was stone cold to the touch with no fan running. What rig are you in?
Old 06-30-2009, 08:09 AM   #10
Winnebago Camper

Good morning, Paul. It might be the converter, my tech smarts are severely limited.

georgeb
'05 journey 350cat
Old 06-30-2009, 09:14 AM   #11
Winnebago Master

There are only two or three canidates

1: Converter system (includes the shore power cord, circuit breakers and such)

2: Converter fuses (Reverse polarity .. note this is really part of 1 but I put 'em seperate)

3: Battery disconnect swtich.. In many rigs the converter is on the "House" side of the switch, the alternator may be on either side. If it's on the battery side, then what you see is what you get if the switch is OFF. as it happens, my switch gets switched when it's not supposed to.. Yours, I don't know about. (Yes, I do know why it happens, switch placement could be better)
Old 07-01-2009, 09:26 AM   #12
Winnebago Camper

Smile

Thank you. That helps and I'll ck them out.
georgeb