Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Electrical | Charging, Solar and Electronics
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 07-02-2023, 08:11 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Battery charging questions 2022 Minnie 2529RG

I'm new to the battery switch feature on my TT. I need some educating. If the switch is on what does it allow for? If the switch is off what does it not allow for? (ie charging, powering devices). FYI, I do have a solar panel installed as well.
Old 07-02-2023, 08:42 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

If the switch is off, it disconnects everything in the trailer running directly off your batteries. Lights, LP detector, etc. Your solar will still charge the batteries on the tongue even when that switch is off. Think of it as your storage setting.

When you are using the trailer, even on shore power or while in transit, have the switch in the on position. In transit, having the switch on powers your 12v fridge, water pump, etc....
IOS 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2023, 08:53 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Thank you for the reply.

On the tongue does the tow vehicle charge the battery along with the solar? I only ask because if for whatever reason I remove the solar panel will the battery charge. If it does charge will the switch need to be on or does it matter?

I guess the question is this. Assuming no solar charging how does the battery charge considering on/off switch. I've always assumed that the TV would charge batteries en route. However, with the switch now I'm unclear whether or not to make sure it's on or off or if it even matters. Same for shore power.
Old 07-02-2023, 09:21 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

The tow vehicle will charge the batteries in transit, regardless of what position the switch is in, and regardless of solar. Assuming everything is the way it came from the factory...

When on shore power, the switch should be on. I haven't tested every component when on shower power to see how it behaves relative to the battery switch, but my understanding is the batteries can't recharge (except via solar) if you have that switch off while on shore power. The switch isolates the trailer from the batteries, so it really is for storage to minimize battery drain from things like the LP detector. The switch should be on at all other times.
IOS 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2023, 06:12 PM   #5
Winnie-Wise

Your electric brakes are wired directly to the battery and do not go through the switch.
No1Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2023, 07:33 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

IOS 3, thanks. That makes sense.

No1, that is correct. Troubling to know that when I've traveled without the battery not knowing that the electric emergency brake would not have engaged.
Old 07-03-2023, 08:35 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Beg to differ here.
Brakes are not only thing wired directly to battery.
On all Micro Minnie’s, tongue jack, slide, radio pre-sets, and CO and propane sensors, all bypass the disconnect switch and are wired directly to battery. Those connections are in the junction box on the tongue. Slide and jack don’t use power when not in use, but the other stuff, sometimes called phantom loads, will deplete your battery over time. Total phantom loads in the Micro Minnie are about 1/2 amp. When I installed my LFP battery, it has an I/O switch, which shuts the battery down completely. If you don’t have a I/O on the battery, you can install one between battery and loads cable.
Old 07-03-2023, 10:42 AM   #8
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marine359 View Post
Beg to differ here.
Brakes are not only thing wired directly to battery.
On all Micro Minnie’s, tongue jack, slide, radio pre-sets, and CO and propane sensors, all bypass the disconnect switch and are wired directly to battery. Those connections are in the junction box on the tongue. Slide and jack don’t use power when not in use, but the other stuff, sometimes called phantom loads, will deplete your battery over time. Total phantom loads in the Micro Minnie are about 1/2 amp. When I installed my LFP battery, it has an I/O switch, which shuts the battery down completely. If you don’t have a I/O on the battery, you can install one between battery and loads cable.
Interesting. Micros are different from Minnie's then, at least my 2529RG. See attached - thought it seems it may not be correct as I am backfeeding the tongue box from my LiFoPo4 batteries through it's own disconnect switch.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf MINI BREAKER WIRING.pdf (165.5 KB, 28 views)
Old 07-03-2023, 12:00 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

I dunno Bob,
But I don’t see the phantoms (radio and sensors) in your diagram, and don’t know how they are fed in a 2529RG. When you turn off the main disconnect, are your phantoms still operative, and do the slide and jack work? This is as it should be. Additionally, for safety, power is still provided to the brakes when disconnect is turned off. On my trailer, the main disconnect really just disconnects the main fuse bus. Curious what your negative shunt monitor shows when the disconnect is off. Betcha it still shows the phantoms, unless of course, the battery has its own dedicated disconnect that disconnects it from the junction box as well.
Old 07-03-2023, 12:29 PM   #10
Winnie-Wise

I know my radio pre-sets, and CO and propane sensors are all powered via a couple of fuses in the DC Power Distribution Buss, which is powered after the pass-through disconnect switch.

I believe my tongue jack worked without the disconnect switch being on (I have changed this, and it now has its own disconnect switch). As for the slide, I will have to check it out later (i'm off my feet for a few days). I am thinking the "Elect. Jack" in the drawing may be referring to the electric stabilizing jacks.

I saw this junction buss while working on my conversion, as well as the tank heater relay. That junction buss is after the pass-through disconnect switch as it feeds the DC Power Center Distribution Buss.
Old 07-03-2023, 01:28 PM   #11
Winnie-Wise

FYI - the drawing is for all Minnie's, not just my model.
Old 07-03-2023, 01:48 PM   #12
Winnebago Owner

Yes, your explanation would be most appropriate for OP, since he’s a Minnie owner.
Hope you’re feeling better soon Bob.
Old 07-03-2023, 04:20 PM   #13
Winnebago Owner

Some great input, gents. Much appreciated.

Tags
battery, charging