Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-03-2021, 04:09 PM   #1
Site Team

Buy an RV to Fix Up! RV Lesson Learned

I saw this article about some RV newbies that bought an old RV without giving the problems and expense that was sure to follow a second thought.

We see folks here that post saying they've never owned any kind of RV and have just bought a 20 to 30 year old RV to "Fix Up." Some say things like. "we have no idea how any of this stuff even works." Many of them focus on the engine and drive train and think owning an RV is like owning a car. It's a tough lesson to learn that even an RV with a good drive train can be pulling around a falling down money pit of a "house."

They usually post after the purchase, because if they posted before the purchase we might have given them a reality check.

Here's the article - hopefully this will help some one here from making an expensive mistake.

https://www.insider.com/rv-informati...ing-secondhand
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2021-04-03 at 5.12.17 PM.png
Views:	70
Size:	377.3 KB
ID:	178216  
Old 04-03-2021, 05:39 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

And, what's worse than old fixer-upper RVs? Big, old fixer-upper boats.
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2021, 01:47 PM   #3
2007 Itasca Meridian SE

Well, I have experience in both - I owned a 1982 Morgan 60 sailboat - then a 1965 Hatteras 50 and now a 2007 Itasca Meridian 36 SG. All three required a lot of work. However, in each case of the boats - I put a lot of sweat into them and got a great deal of enjoyment out of the work done and when the work was done...if you get my drift.

If you never worked on an old boat or RV - the systems can be overwhelming. But that passes with time and elbow grease and mistakes. One learns lessons and gets better and better diagnosing things and fixing things. All is not lost it seems to me and we all have to have a goal to work towards....fixing up old things is a noble experiment methinks.

Dennis
Kewlbreeze is offline   Reply With Quote