Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Electrical | Charging, Solar and Electronics
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 03-11-2010, 09:50 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Auto/Satellite and Flat screen TV

Looking to up grade to a new Auto/Satelite. My current one is by Wineguard and has had problems. I have been told that their new Wineguard Traviler Slimline is working really well. Does any one out there have one or any recommendations? Also where might be the best place to buy one? I have seen them on line for $1430.00. Also, I plan to upgrade to a flat screen TV but I understand for the surround sound to work, the TV must be compatable? Any info. would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you.
R. Francis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 10:22 PM   #2
Winnie-Wise

I bought the Winegard Slim Line at the Winnebago factory rally GNR in July '09. I believe the price you quoted was the same and additional $300 for installation. It worked for me just fine.
A friend bought one at Quartzsite AZ this Jan for the same price you have and he installed it himself and saved the $300. TVs there are many options and when you do a search on the forum you will find installations.

Also you did not mention the year or model of your motorhome. Your current surround sound will not work with a new TV, the sound is not adjustable. Just figure in the cost of an independent home theater system along with the cost of your modification. I bought a Phillips Home Theater system from Costco for under $200 and it works very good. With an independent system your radio will still have good sound. Good luck.
Gary CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 08:43 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Your current surround sound will not work with a new TV, the sound is not adjustable. Just figure in the cost of an independent home theater system along with the cost of your modification. I bought a Phillips Home Theater system from Costco for under $200 and it works very good. With an independent system your radio will still have good sound. Good luck.
Your current system will work with a new tv but you have to hook it up the same way old tv is. When you pull the old tv out you will see a wire with an inline barrel type noise suppressor in it coming out of the back of the tv. The wires in the tv end are soldered to the tv speakers. Solder one wire to each of the speakers on the new tv and your surround sound will work. With mine it has actually become a true surround sound and I control it all with my sat remote. I now have a Panasonic 32" lcd tv. If you have any questions about it call River Park in Elkhart and ask for Mike. They are the vendor for most of the electronics. Their number is 574-522-7781. Mike is the person who helped me.
Numbers 6:24-26
Olive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 09:22 AM   #4
Winnie-Wise

i had them install the winegard traveler on mine when it first came out, it was worth the wait and the extra dollars. it takes about 5 minute for it to pick up all the signals while i am setting the rest of the coach up. they wired it for 2 TVs seperately if I have 2 boxes with me, or all 3 TVs can run off just the main box.
majfrizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 11:57 AM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Our traveler works great! Just think about where to put the traveler on roof. (front or back of RV) Trees still block the signal. Our other inmotion dish gets rain and dew fade alot. In motion works good on clear days. The traveler work great in most any weather.

Doug
sam-tip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 06:30 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Auto/Satelite

Thanks for all your help with this project. I plan to do the instalation my self this May. Again thanks to all who replied.

Roy Francis
R. Francis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 08:11 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

I have the Winegard slimline for DirectTV. I have never been happier with the performance of this dish. I've had it two years and it will work very hard to find a hole in the trees to find the signal. Mnay of my fellow campers don't get signals when I do. Good luck you won't find anything better
vbugles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 11:56 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

As for the flat screen and surround sound....when we went to change to a new digital LCD TV our son told us to buy a TV with "audio out" jacks. The new TV was then hooked up to the controller box using a red/white/yellow cable. The surround sound works when the radio/tv switch on the dash is turned to "radio". We have had no problems adjusting the volume using the TV's remote either with or without sound surround. When the TV is off, be sure the radio/TV switch is turned back to TV if you don't want to hear the ticking/dripping sound. Since it was raining, we thought it was water dripping into the overhead TV/cabinet area! Since we don't have a satellite antenna I'm no help with any issues in that situation.

2005 Adventurer 33V