Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Electrical | Charging, Solar and Electronics
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 01-27-2021, 08:36 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

50 Amp Surge Protection?

Just purchased a 2021 Winnebago Adventurer and it requires 50 amp versus my old Winnebago Voyage that was a 30 amp coach. Thinking about purchasing some level of surge protection and looking for suggestions. Seems to be conversations about low voltage as well as surge protection. What do you suggest, portable device or hard wired?
mrobidou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 09:07 AM   #2
Site Team

We use the popular Progressive Industries EMS-PT50X Portable RV Surge Protector. It’s external and does everything except “autoforming” low voltages.

As your experience shows, people change RVs over time. This is why I stick with the portable style EMS.
Old 01-27-2021, 09:21 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

I also use the portable Progressive Industries EMS-PT50X. I have had one for over a decade and it has saved me several times over the years. In my previous MH I used to plug and unplug it when hooking up from the power cord. I now leave it plugged in to the power cord and just have to plug it into the pedestal. Keeps the female spades inside the PT50 from spreading and becoming weak - just my thoughts on it.

I don't think I can say enough about the quality and protection of that device.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 12:28 PM   #4
Site Team

I do the same thing and it works well for me. On my last camping trip to Santa Cruz, the park had electrical issues and the volts would did well below 104! The EMS-PT50X shut power down just like it was supposed to. I hear low voltage can be worse than a power surge for RVs. It would be great for someone to weigh in who knows electricity.
macnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 05:27 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

I have the hard wired PI 50 amp unit with a remote voltage display in my 09Journey. You should have it permanently installed so it is always connected even when you plug in for a short duration. Mine is installed in the rear compartment adjacent to the main breaker panel. It can literally be installed anywhere where you have room as the coach feed connects to it and you run appropriately sized cable from it to the main breaker. Good luck ..... it is a great investment and you will find it alerts you reliably to poor power sources.
bobmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 05:49 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

We bought our first RV in June of this year. We bought one of the separate units and lock it onto the post. In my naivety I thought that the RV manufacturers would have all this stuff worked out and built in.

For us, the 50A cable that is hardwired in is VERY difficult to get in and out of the compartment to plug in. I will probably get one of the hardwired units and an extension cord that I don't have to thread in and out of a 5 inch hole in the compartment.

San Francisco Bay Area
sundog964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2021, 05:30 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by macnut View Post
I do the same thing and it works well for me. On my last camping trip to Santa Cruz, the park had electrical issues and the volts would did well below 104! The EMS-PT50X shut power down just like it was supposed to. I hear low voltage can be worse than a power surge for RVs. It would be great for someone to weigh in who knows electricity.

That's why I finally got an Autoformer
puttin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2021, 05:48 PM   #8
Winnie-Wise

Surges can take out all those fancy electronics in your new coach. Getting one that also protects by shutting off with too high or low voltage is a must. Get the best one you can afford. Your a/c compressors really don't do well under 103 volts. Microwaves usually don't like less that 106v.

Autoformers that boost low voltage are ok if the voltage isn't too bad, but since they 'borrow' amps from other posts on the same leg, many parks ban them.

Yes, I know all proponents and the manufacturers say it doesn't happen, but there is no free lunch with electricity. If you boost your voltage, you are getting extra amps that would go to your neighbors on the same power leg. Great for you, not so great for me. And many old parks can have pretty bad power.
Old 02-10-2021, 06:02 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Mine is a 30a. model and I use a 50 to 30 dog bone adapter at the pedestal- I'll never draw the entire 50 amps available on one leg. Basically the same principal works with the 50a. Autoformer as well...you can't get more than the breaker is designed to limit (and frankly, I'll bet most people never get close to it). I'd never do anything to hurt my fellow rv'ers.
puttin is offline   Reply With Quote