Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-06-2017, 10:39 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Surge Protection for Winnebago Adventurer

We have a 2012 Adventurer and have been told the Electrical Mgt System in our coach serves the same purpose as a surge protector. Partially true, true, false (still need one)?
thanks in advance, Bert Pryor
pryorb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 10:52 AM   #2
Winnebago Camper

Still need one... A good surge protector will keep spikes from getting inside your rig which is what you want. The EMS directs power based on priority, needs and availability to your appliances.
Cuffemdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 02:43 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by pryorb View Post
We have a 2012 Adventurer and have been told the Electrical Mgt System in our coach serves the same purpose as a surge protector. Partially true, true, false (still need one)?
Someone's giving a line of BS. Some later Winnebago models (like the 2015 Grand Tour) do have low and high voltage cutouts built into the transfer switch, but nothing as early as 2012. The 2015 Grand Tout brochure lists it as a separate item under the electrical heading as:
Surge Guard® shoreline/generator automatic
changeover switch w/surge protection

Our 2013 Adventurer doesn't have a built in surge protector and it wasn't offered as an option. As far as I can tell it still isn't available in any gas models. At least it isn't mentioned in any literature as either a standard or optional.
Old 07-06-2017, 03:47 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

Quote:
To the best of my knowledge the EMS is nothing more than an electrical management system. Say you are plugged into 30A. If you run to much equipment then compressor #2 will stay off or shut off until the system can handle the load. If there is any surge protection the joules are very small in an EMS.

EMS not to be trusted to handle surges,low voltage or high amps in my opinion. But then it really depends on the manufacturer so give them a call for correct info.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 05:48 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Why not cut your losses and get a 50A EMS from PI? Lifetime warranty. Boom!
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 06:26 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

You can check your model on the companies web site, and it will tell you if your has built in surge protector. I would still add something for surge and low/hi power protector. I have a 50 amp hardwired SurgeGuard unit, which I have used since 2005, on 2 coaches.
Old 07-08-2017, 10:21 AM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Surge Protection for both 30A-only and 50A pedastals

Will I need to purchase two devices, one for each? I've seen nothing in the surge protector literature which would indicate a switching capability to be used on both types.
Thanks again,
Bert Pryor
pryorb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 03:31 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Will I need to purchase two devices, one for each? I've seen nothing in the surge protector literature which would indicate a switching capability to be used on both types.
Thanks again,
Bert Pryor
No, you don't need two surge protectors. You pick the one based on the max power needs of your coach. If your coach is rated at 30 amps then buy the 30 amp surge protector. If 50 then buy the 50 amp protector.
AKIQPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 10:07 AM   #9
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Thanks again,
Bert Pryor
It doesn't matter if your coach is 30A, be prepared for the day you might have 50A and get the 50A protector. All you need is a "dogbone" electrical adapter at the pedestal. Worth the extra $$$ in my opinion.

Yes, the permanently installed are not permanent and can be moved from RV to RV but the hassle is un-connecting and connecting the hard wires. Just a little electrical knowledge is needed.

With the Progressive Industries, or other, portable units it can be moved flawlessly from RV to RV.

Many worry about "security" of the portable unit. I have had my portable PT-50C since 2007. There is a locking device that needs a chain or cable and I use a very heavy piece of chain. Padlock on the device, chain wraps around itself on the pedestal, under water connector or electrical box and padlocks to itself, and if you really want a little more security a case hardened set of locks can be used. Yes, bolt cutters will take care of the problem if a thief really wants it, but then they could break into any compartment and steal whatever they wanted. I'm not paranoid and I only lock the surge protector if the surroundings allow for rift raft to cruise the campground looking for easy targets.

Happy electrical connections.

p.s., knock on wood I have never had anything stolen from my site(s) and I have traveled 46 of the 48 contiguous United States.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 09:58 AM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Get a Progressive Industries unit, we have the hardwired 50a and it was the first mod we did when we purchased our MH.
NRA Endowment Life Member, FMCA 455593 & WIT 170814
Cover Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 04:47 PM   #11
Winnebago Camper

Ditto on progressive industries I got the 50Amp portable and just a few minutes ago I ordered their 50-30 amp adapter it’s just a plug no cord so your unit when on a 30amp pole won’t sit on the ground as it did with a regular pig tale 50-30 adapter.
The reason I got the portable is because when I looked at the space for a hardwired on and thinking of the pain it would be to work with the 50 service cord I figured the portable would work just fine for me.
Coosguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 10:16 PM   #12
Site Team

X2 on Progressive Industries. They are great.
macnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 04:31 PM   #13
Site Team

My 2017 Adventurer has a hardwired power management system that provides many of the features of the Progressive Industries 50A Surge Protector, but I still bought the PI 50A Portable.

See, we lived in a house that was hit by lightening. So, I know what a "surge" looks like and what it can do to electronics. I'm not taking any chances like that with my RV.

PS. I too have never had any issues with CG power - but it's cheaper than insurance on all this stuff.

Tags
adventurer, vent, winnebago