Originally Posted by DonnyB
I I noticed a 2 inch gap where this seal (called window reveal molding) had shrunk. I put some butyl putty in the gap and thought I had a temporary fix.
The reveal molding doesn't seal out water, it's primarily protective and cosmetic so new reveal molding isn't going to stop the leak. I recently had the same issue on my 35U which, according to the PO had the expensive rusted windshield frame repair. Do a little searching and you'll find oodles of threads addressing this issue. Hopefully your's hasn't got this bad. Even though mine was leaking anew, I didn't see any rust. By the way, have you removed the inside, plastic covers so you can inspect the windshield to frame joint?
Leaks are hard to find since water travels, so the source of the water may be several feet from the drips. Fortunately, it always flows downward, never upward (except by wicking or being windblown. It's unlikely that either of these would result in drips like you describe).
Start by taping over the top of the reveal molding to the roof cap with Nasua Extreme Weather Aluminum Duct Tape (available at Home Depot). I found this to be a good, temporary fix that leaves little or no residue. Here's my posting on it:
Note that this is just a temporary fix to help you find the source and to stop the leak until you can effect a more permanent repair. Use a hose to test your "repair". Flooding the area with a low flow is better than a hard stream and it will take a while.
If that doesn't fix it, move up to the next possible spot and so on. Theoretically your RV Armor eliminates many of these so your leak probably starts below the RV Armor. However don't take anything for granted, assuming it's not RV Armor's problem to fix under warranty.
Once you find the source, you'll need to decide on a permanent fix. Again, you'll find plenty of threads on this, some with contradictory advice, so read as many as you can to sort out the good from the bad.
The source of my leak was water getting in at the top of the reveal. However the real problem is the windshield to frame joint which is letting the water inside, not the reveal molding itself. Personally, since the aluminum tape has stopped the leak, I'm going to take the Eternabond route and use it to tape over the top of the reveal molding and my roof cap to roof joints. I'm also going to use it along the sides where the roof mates with the aluminum channel. You'll find postings with many pros and cons to this approach and some object to the appearance of Eternabond, but my 35U is a 2002 model with a white roof cap so I think it will look OK. It seems to me that most of those who have used Eternabond seem to like it, those who object to it, for the most part, haven't tried it.