Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 03-11-2022, 01:02 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Steps not retracting

The steps are not retracting when the door is closed. I would assume that there is a magnetic reed switch hidden in the door frame somewhere and there should be a magnet on the outside door to trigger this. Am I correct?

Thanks for any info and advice!
Old 03-11-2022, 06:47 PM   #2
Proud “No Intent” Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by KB9VGD View Post
The steps are not retracting when the door is closed. I would assume that there is a magnetic reed switch hidden in the door frame somewhere and there should be a magnet on the outside door to trigger this. Am I correct?

Thanks for any info and advice!
Yes, but there’s also usually a switch near the door that disables the step going in and out, so check both.
Old 03-12-2022, 01:50 PM   #3
Winnebago Watcher

Hi Wyatt, thought of that also but the problem was noticed when we were doing the walk through with the salesperson. The service department stated they're checking into the problem. Would have been nice if it was only the switch being turned off.
Old 03-12-2022, 06:24 PM   #4
unclescratch

Good for you in doing a 'thorough' walk through!
Old 03-16-2022, 04:35 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

spring loaded buttons on door edge

I had that on my Grand Tour once and found that cleaning up the buttons on the door jam solved the issue.

Without making contact at those connectors the controller things the door is open.

You likely have the same buttons, there will be 4 or 5 on the hinge side of the door and corresponding buttons on the door frame. Clean them up and see if that helps.
weirba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2022, 08:08 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

It is either the Switch or Step Controller. The Switch can be defective so just because they toggle it will not confirm. The great thing is that you found during a walk through, it is amazing how many people DO NOT take the PDI serious. Check everything, assume nothing. Looks for leaks on all of the plumbing etc.

Having said all that, I love Winnebago. They stood behind their warranty and they fixed everything I could find after the sale. Nothing major, but from what I had heard negative of RV Industry, it was NOT my experience with Winnebago.

Good luck
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3; Roadmaster Nighthawk 676; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; Southwire EMS 44270/34951 Display 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2022, 08:53 PM   #7
2004 Minnie 29B

Kwikee steps trouble shooting

Could be switch, wiring, connector or something else. Note that door switch is usually a magnetic switch, which could be normally open or normally closed when activated (depends on age and model of steps). Attached document could help shed some light on possible problem.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Kwikee-4-Way-PIgtail-Diagnosis.pdf (364.0 KB, 58 views)
RV Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2022, 10:34 PM   #8
Winnie-Wise

Could also be the step motor which is an easy fix. A lot of people will place their foot on the steps prior to the steps being fully extended. This obviously causes stress on the motor's gears. I have to replace my step motor about every three years. There are also a couple YouTube videos on how to actually repair the motor instead of replacing it. Good luck!
Rear Trac Bar, Safe-T-Plus, and 480 watt solar system.
Rossi6998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2022, 10:43 PM   #9
Winnebago Watcher

The door switch on our Suncrusier 37F did that . The wire on the back of the switch fell
off was a poor connection, no ground.
Denispg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2022, 05:34 AM   #10
Winnebago Camper

I had this issue. On mine one of the wires leading to the magnetic switch on the interior of the hinged side of the door had come loose.
f53Challenge is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
steps