Originally Posted by Sunovatravel
In the end checked connections etc. BAD starter (sigh) . Thanks for the advice
That happens. Many times its due to a weak battery from lack of use. When the battery is weak amperage draw goes up along with heat. The 1.4 Kilowatt Starters for the V10 can heat up pretty quickly when the battery is weak doing incremental damage every time you start them.
Personally I have been happy with the Ultima Lifetime Starters from Oreilly. Replaced the 2 KW Starter in my Diesel Car with one of theirs and have been pretty happy with it. Its holding up better than the Napa Gold it replaced.
So far I have not pushed the original starter in my 2001 and its still doing fine. When the engine battery is low I use the boost switch right away or put it on the charger and wait. Even jump starting with a too low battery can result in high amperage draw and cook a starter in 30 seconds or less so caution is advisable on seldom used vehicles such as RV's.